The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-29-2018, 11:54 PM   #1
Driver_WT

Shocks for Lowered S10 Chassis

My AD truck is mounted on a 1993 S10 chassis which has been lowered three inches in both the front and the rear. I would like some recommendations on shocks front and rear. I am looking for good ride quality and reasonable handling.

Thanks.

Wade
Old 07-30-2018, 12:26 AM   #2
joedoh

Re: Shocks for Lowered S10 Chassis

how you lowered it matters. for example, if you lowered it with 2" spindles and a 1" coil spring, the change to the shock is only 1". in the rear, if you used a 3" block, you did not change the shock length at all.

conversely, if you used 3" drop coils and stock spindles, the change to the shock is a full 3". if you used a 3" dropped leaf, the shock change is 3" again.

but at only 3", stock length shocks are fine. I did a lot of research into what shock belltech sells for 3" coil drops and found out the 79 mazda b2000/sundowner uses that same length, but I put it next to a stock s10 shock and it was the same, extended and compressed.

belltech street shocks are great but expensive for a twin tube. you can buy a monotube gabriel or monroe for that money. lowered suspensions usually have a higher spring rate and will oscillate more, which will foam a gas charged twin tube on a rough road. monotube shocks are better performance all around but are much more expensive.

with all that said, on my trucks that I lower 3-4" with coil springs and spindles and leaf springs and blocks, I use monroe gas charged shocks, $32 ea front and rear.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 02:58 PM   #3
mr48chev

Re: Shocks for Lowered S10 Chassis

Have to go with what he suggested, That said you have to pick the right shock for the ride you want to have as every one of us is a bit different in that respect. What is perfect to Joe may be a bit mushy to you and a bit hard riding to me. My daily rides so stiff that anything with an S-10 two wheel drive chassis would seem smooth though.

Rock auto says that the Monroe 32132 is the standard length shock that being Extended Length (in): 13.370 in.
Collapsed Length (in): 8.680 in.

That shock fits just about every mid size GM rear wheel drive rig so finding something shorter will take some hunting.

The rears might be easier but I am having trouble finding the stock lengths for a rear shock. for the S=10

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote