The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-31-2017, 11:48 AM   #1
vintovka

Adding grab handles to 5 window.

Anyone added grab handles to a 5 window. Pics or advice requested. Mine is 27" from ground to top of running board and tough to get in. I think i ruined the other steering wheel by using it as a grab handle in the past. STill working on some Quikee "sidewinder" power steps that were donated to the build. Cannot find repair/parts info at all.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=714917
vintovka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 12:39 PM   #2
OrrieG

Re: Adding grab handles to 5 window.

I remember the thread linked below. Yes using your steering wheel, especially a tilt model, as a grab bar destroys it. I am going to be looking at the same. Mywifes Honda CRV has some neat spring loaded ones and I have seen similar on newer trucks too.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=530992
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 02:05 PM   #3
mr48chev

Both my 98 BMW 528I and my 2000 Cad DTS have grab handles above the doors. i always forget to use them to get out though. There might be some trucks that have something like that that is stronger Or something for semi trucks that goes on the inside.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 07:48 PM   #4
vintovka

At 80" above the ground top of door inside handles are too high for us old folks (I considered stripping the ones out of our 2012 VW Passat before it went to the EPAs crusher but didn't want to endanger our buyback $). I will try outside SS marine type handles on the cab between the side windows and the door. The top screw could double as the seat belt anchor. The bottom I am not sure how to deal with. Even with a power step something is needed.

Last edited by vintovka; 01-31-2017 at 08:02 PM.
Old 01-31-2017, 11:36 PM   #5
mr48chev

I've got one of those little fold up steps for my wife to get in my 77 dualie. It isn't near that high but she is 4'10" on a tall day.

Down there you might have better luck finding a stainless boat grab handle than finding a truck grab handle. Locally we have a chrome trinket and light shop for semi trucks that has a lot of options for handles.

77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
Old 01-31-2017, 11:57 PM   #6
vintovka

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
I've got one of those little fold up steps for my wife to get in my 77 dualie. It isn't near that high but she is 4'10" on a tall day.

Down there you might have better luck finding a stainless boat grab handle than finding a truck grab handle. Locally we have a chrome trinket and light shop for semi trucks that has a lot of options for handles.
Going with some stainless 10" boat handles that attach with 5/16 bolts. I plan on using grade 8 bolts. MAy have to machine a beveled collar to have the lower bolt fit straight on the inside curve of the cab. Speaking of stainless i have replaced every exposed nut/bolt with stainless instead of bare steel or chrome. The oceans roar is a constant reminder of its corrosive effects.
Old 02-01-2017, 02:07 AM   #7
mr48chev

I remember that from driving though there last October. I remembered that there was someone from there on here but at time finding a motel and finding something to eat had the highest priorities.

We ended up staying in Banden that night.

Old 02-01-2017, 02:25 AM   #8
mongocanfly
Post Whore

If your attaching those to the body I would suggest adding a plate to the inside of the cab to keep from pulling directly on nothing but sheet metal
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 03:50 PM   #9
vintovka

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
If your attaching those to the body I would suggest adding a plate to the inside of the cab to keep from pulling directly on nothing but sheet metal
I agree the residual engineer in me make me lean toward a short steel tubular inside the Cab pillar with the attachment bolt thru it. Think I can do the top OK but the bottom may be challenge. My cab pillar area is closed off at the bottom. Maybe a magnet on a stick or other positioning device?
Old 02-01-2017, 07:43 PM   #10
OrrieG

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintovka View Post
Going with some stainless 10" boat handles that attach with 5/16 bolts. I plan on using grade 8 bolts. MAy have to machine a beveled collar to have the lower bolt fit straight on the inside curve of the cab. Speaking of stainless i have replaced every exposed nut/bolt with stainless instead of bare steel or chrome. The oceans roar is a constant reminder of its corrosive effects.
In 1969 I bought a 57 Chevy Truck from the Park Service that had been used by a painter doing maintenance of public building on the Oregon coast. Everything has a fine coat or surface rust except the exterior and interior door panels and dash. Only had 60K miles. Has rust in the corners from coastal condensation. I grew up in Eugene and the old man always cautioned me about buying rigs from the coast.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 07:59 PM   #11
vintovka

The rust issue cannot be understated. Corrosion on steel and aluminum will destroy things fast. Seen rust form on bare steel in hours. The only good thing is browning Muzzleloading barrels may be easier. Original 3100 replacement parts are so rusty as to be cost ineffective even as opposed to crappy chinese stuff. Seen trailers than look like they were soaked in acid.