The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-28-2018, 12:14 PM   #1
Ghost's68

Pre startup checklist!

After about 8 months, I am finally at the point I am ready to fire up my LS3 swap. I want to first give all of you guys a big thank you to all the endless help I have received through my various threads asking so many questions. THANK YOU!!! You guys are awesome!

So here’s my checklist so far, please let me know if there’s something else I should do or need prior to firing it up;

-Fresh optima RedTop battery
-Trans filled with roughly 5.5q (will top off after starting)
-Trans cooler mounted and wired in
-Radiator has been filled with coolant via the top radiator hose. I filled it until it was coming out of the top radiator port.
-Fuel pump wired in. Verified it kicks on (empty tank)
-Tank installed and lines hooked up. Will add about 10gal if 91 soon
I will purge the fuel like to help wash any straggler debris in lines
-need to hook up just two wires on my entropy radiator and will be good there
-I do want to prime the motor by bumping it a few times though. I read people just say disconnect the coil packs and remove fuel pump relay. Take the spark plugs out and turn over a few times until you see PSI.

This is where i’m at. Am I missing anything? TIA
Ghost's68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 01:53 PM   #2
Wgesnerjr

Re: Pre startup checklist!

3 things I did that might help you.

1. Supported the rear axle with jack stands so the rear wheels are off the ground. Just in case the trans linkage is not perfectly in park.

2. Fire extinguisher. Just in case of a fuel/fire issue.

3. Film it. When my progress stalls (as it always does) it's a good motivator to get me back plugging away.
LS 5.3, 4L60E
Father/Daughter Project
Wgesnerjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 02:59 PM   #3
Ghost's68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wgesnerjr View Post
3 things I did that might help you.

1. Supported the rear axle with jack stands so the rear wheels are off the ground. Just in case the trans linkage is not perfectly in park.

2. Fire extinguisher. Just in case of a fuel/fire issue.

3. Film it. When my progress stalls (as it always does) it's a good motivator to get me back plugging away.
Number is is a great idea. I redid my brake lines and haven’t bled them yet. I will certainly do that.

2 and 3 are all ready covered lol. Always got to keep a fire extengyisher in the garage. That’s for the advice, W.
Old 06-28-2018, 03:33 PM   #4
Dead Parrot

A gallon of coolant on standby. Always seems to be a bunch of air that gets pushed out once the water starts moving.

If the trans converter was empty, you will need several more quarts of trans fluid.

Verify that you DID add oil to the motor.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 07:52 PM   #5
87chevy.com
BMW & ASE Master Certified

If you have access to a fuel flush apparatus you can pick up some an fittings and make a oil priming apparatus. You can also make it out of PVC too. Remove the large 17mm I think it was hex screw by the alternator area. Plenty of oil priming videos.

New project: 2006 BMW x5 6cyl AWD to L83 6l80e 4wd to 2WD / RWD

A poor man buy's it twice

finally got my domain name back, 87chevy.com.... site rework in progress
87chevy.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 12:28 PM   #6
Root2812

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87chevy.com View Post
If you have access to a fuel flush apparatus you can pick up some an fittings and make a oil priming apparatus. You can also make it out of PVC too. Remove the large 17mm I think it was hex screw by the alternator area. Plenty of oil priming videos.
x2.... I was going to say this exact thing. I just did a build on an LS3 and followed exactly what this video shows and it was nice to see oil pressure without cranking the motor so I knew everything was good and oiled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZbep79-NCw
Old 06-29-2018, 01:12 PM   #7
Ghost's68

Update!!

I went out and bought a cheapo oil pressure gauge from the local parts store. Bought the line kit as well that came with a 1/8NPT fitting that went into the oil cooler plate that came with my CTSV. Disconnected my injectors, and fuel pump, removed the plugs and turned the motor over for about 2-3 seconds then stopping. Did that about 6 times before I saw the gauge reading about 25-30psi. I am unable to get to the front oil galley plug due to my DD sliders blocking it. Motor spinned freely without the plugs.

Purged the gas line up to my crossover tube. Hooked it all up and threw my plugs in. Issues with my ignition switch but with my power probe I was able to throw direct power to my neutral safety switch and start her up. Didn’t let it run very long since I’m waiting on my OBD2 dongle. I left it at the in laws. That way I can read the vitals through Torque app.

Wish I knew how to post a video of it but man was it loud!!!!! Lol so far so good!!!! Super happy and feeling proud of myself! Lol
Old 06-29-2018, 05:54 PM   #8
Super73

If you took your coil packs off the brackets to clean them, make sure you put the back the correct way. I have been helping a buddy on his first swap (not mine) and he made this mistake.

I spent 2 nights chasing things like, crank sensor, cam sensor, verifying the reluctor wheel was right etc.

It was hoping out the intake and back firing.

Slapped a set of spare coils on that I had a boom, fired right up.
1/4---10.38 @ 126.97----9.24 @ 142.49
Super73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 06:26 PM   #9
Ghost's68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super73 View Post
If you took your coil packs off the brackets to clean them, make sure you put the back the correct way. I have been helping a buddy on his first swap (not mine) and he made this mistake.

I spent 2 nights chasing things like, crank sensor, cam sensor, verifying the reluctor wheel was right etc.

It was hoping out the intake and back firing.

Slapped a set of spare coils on that I had a boom, fired right up.
You mean like making sure they are connected in the right order? Or like actually switching passenger side over to the drive side?