The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-03-2012, 08:18 AM   #1
BigBlocksRule

2WD to 4WD hump

I just scored a straight '91 Suburban for one of my next projects. It's 2WD and I want to convert it to 4WD. I understand I can do a 2" body lift to clear the transfer case, but is it possible to swap the tall center hump or is that a major undertaking? I'm fine with a body lift, but if I can get away without it and just go with 4" of suspension lift, it will be something to consider before I start work. This one has a nice, straight frame and I have all the matching 4WD stuff to use, just need the hangers in front and add a crossbrace and I'm good to go. I have a '77 K-5 to use for reference.

I have a couple of kids as does my GF, they like camping and skiing and this will be the perfect rig to let 'em use. I'm not a fan of camping that much (my idea of "roughing it" is a small microwave and TV ). If I'm sleeping in the woods, it'll be in the back of the 'burb. When a bear shows up, close the tailgate and drive off, come back and get what he left tomorrow.
BigBlocksRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:57 PM   #2
gmachinz
Account Suspended

Re: 2WD to 4WD hump

Is it 1/2 or 3/4 ton? The frames are different in terms of height for added strength. Not a huge deal if both trucks are 1 or the other. The 4wd hump is taller than you think...more like 4" off the floor-you can use one as a template to trace onto your floor and cut inside that entire line by an inch all around. If you want a factory look, buy some riv-nuts and pliers so you can drill and secure the hump down for a nice, finished install.
Posted via Mobile Device
gmachinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:18 AM   #3
BigBlocksRule

Mine is a 2WD. Carpet is fine and I'm sure it needs the body mounts installed anyway. I'll keep researching until I find out just how much I'll need to add to clear, I don't want to cut this thing up too much.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:44 AM   #4
BigBlocksRule

I remembered a '78 short 4x4 I had bought for parts but left at the guy's place a couple of years ago. It was a rust bucket but has the hump. It looks like it should be pretty much a bolt-in deal after cutting the floor...anything else I need to know before I start cutting?
Any way around the carpet/hump thing? I'm thinking of cutting and gluing a piece of very similar carpet onto the hump right up to the flange, then cutting a hole in the original carpet to make it fit around the hump.
Since this will be a skiing/camping rig, I'd rather go with rubber front to back, but that stuff ain't cheap!