The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-10-2024, 02:22 PM   #1
Ziegelsteinfaust

Rustoleum paint jobs

A work friend wants to paint his harlequin beater in Rustoleum paint to make it one color. While the car is a early 2000's Toyota Slow-Rolla it should last enough easily to be worthy of atleast cheap 2 part paint job. I offered him to use my yard if he brings it over sanded down. As I have a good enough compressor, and a couple of paint guns.

So my question is how long does Rustoleum last as a car paint in the southern california region?

I get it if your painting a rat rod or something where the car won't last. Or just to get by while you do body work on a driver or project to keep it protected.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2024, 02:48 PM   #2
Killer Bee

Re: Rustoleum paint jobs

helped my shipmate rattle can his karmann ghia in the ball field parking lot at the end of the mole pier navsta LB summer of '91

semi gloss black turned out fairly decent, he painted an obtuse yellow triangle on the trunk lid up front for accent

guess he didn't want it to be confused with all the other spray canned ghias in long beach

not sure how long it lasted past the next year or two we were stationed together but was holding up last time I saw it

good luck!
Old 03-12-2024, 10:28 AM   #3
jeffahart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziegelsteinfaust View Post
A work friend wants to paint his harlequin beater in Rustoleum paint to make it one color. While the car is a early 2000's Toyota Slow-Rolla it should last enough easily to be worthy of atleast cheap 2 part paint job. I offered him to use my yard if he brings it over sanded down. As I have a good enough compressor, and a couple of paint guns.

So my question is how long does Rustoleum last as a car paint in the southern california region?

I get it if your painting a rat rod or something where the car won't last. Or just to get by while you do body work on a driver or project to keep it protected.
I did the inside of my bed with white Rustoleum. You can check out my bed wood thread.

I sprayed it first with rattle can to get coverage. Then sanded smooth. Then I used the canned Rustoleum, same color, with a roller. When you use the roller it lays down flat and smooth. I was actually quite stunned at the results! It's holding up great. Not sure I would do my whole truck that way. Not that it looks that bad, but it is still quite an effort. You still have to prep and sand. Big benefits are: you save money on paint and touch ups of chips or scratches are easy to blend in.

j
Old 03-12-2024, 01:07 PM   #4
Keith Seymore

My dad and I built this car trailer back in 1967. It had always had a rustoleum paint job on it (until about 2 years ago).

Back then the paint held up pretty well. They must have changed the formula because it hasn't been as good as of late.

Still ok for a trailer, though.

K
Attached Images

1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 01:09 PM   #5
Keith Seymore

I also did the inside of my pickup box, except I used a brush.

It's been fine.

I think the biggest benefit in doing a vehicle exterior would be having it all the same color.

K

Attached Images

1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 01:39 PM   #6
purple gas

Fairly long term results:
My truck was a painters work truck and was through at least 1 hailstorm.
I filled most of the dings & dents and got tired of it looking like a work in progress.
I shot it with Tremclad ( Canadian Rustolium) I bought the gallon can.
I used a crappy little touch up gun. Had to cut it 50 / 50 with mineral spirits to get it to spray and used about 1/2 a gallon of paint for the whole truck. So, there wasn't much paint on it.
When I first did it it looked pretty good actually. It was parked indoors when not on the road for several years and seemed like it was lasting.
Then, I got divorced 9 yrs ago.
Since then it's been sitting in the sun. Every year more of the red has disappeared. You can really tell places that got more or less paint.
The picture of the left rear is where after a couple beers I grabbed a small foam roller and painted the bed side and tail gate. Straight Tremclad, no cut. That was 8 yrs ago.
It's held up way better than the thinned out spray job. Probably because there's actually more than a micron thickness of paint there. It was a pretty thin single coat, and it has lost most of its shine though.
I painted the interior with rattle can Tremclad.
It looks really good and hasn't faded at all. Interior get less direct sunlight, but I think it's a lot better quality paint than the bulk stuff.
This year I'm going to finish the last of the hail damage and do another paint job.
Exactly what that means remains to be seen.
Attached Images