The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-17-2012, 05:23 PM   #1
Lee H

The Bomb, 72 C10 Custom Deluxe

Here’s my build, well really a restoration. 1972 C10 custom deluxe. Short wheel base with factory power steering, power brakes, air conditioning, and dealer installed auxiliary fuel tanks. Built in Fremont California and delivered to Chadbourne Chevrolet in Upland Ca. I bought the truck from the original owner in 1998. My son & I freshened up the engine & trans, dropped it, installed sport bumpers and American Racing wheels with BFG Radial TAs. The truck spent the next 9 years being driven daily by my son to high school and out of town collage. Collage was a little over 300 miles away and the “Bomb” would get driven there and back about twice a month and every holiday. AAA came in handy a few times. I got the Bomb back a few years ago and put it to use as my daily driver. During the winter of 2011/12 a complete mechanical R&R was done, engine, transmission, differential, front and rear suspension, and steering system. Soon after I decided it was time for it to look as good as it runs and drives. The tear down started in late June. I found at least one re-coat of the original medium olive poly and four dark green paint jobs of slightly different hues. The build sheet was found under the insulation for the floor mat. I had the body media blasted; they did an outstanding job on the body but ruined the powder coating on the new tubular A-arms and blew the vent tube off the differential getting a lot of media inside. I had to have the differential taken apart, cleaned, and reassembled with new bearings. During July the body work and panel fitment (gaps) where addressed. There was very, very little rust and was easily taken care of along with the patch panels for the fuel doors in the bed. The body was actually in remarkable shape considering its construction past and a rough time in high school and collage parking lots. In August the body panels went through numerous priming and block sanding phases, paint was complete in September. During the paint & body phase I finished stripping the frame, had it blasted and powder coated along with the core support, bumper brackets, trailing arms, and most other odds and ends that were black. Reassembly started in late September. High lights include PPG Deltron base in the original medium olive poly and DuPont ChromaClear clear coat, stainless steel fuel and brake lines, “complete” brake system replacement, dash cluster refurb with VDO internals for the tach, vent window refurb, new sport bumpers, Dynamat, American Auto Wire classic upgrade kit, Vintage Air, GM Serpentine drive. NOS items include all emblems, marker lights, bezels, hood hinges & springs, door sills, inside and out door handles and window cranks, sport mirrors, hood to cowl seal, housings and lenses for front signals, tail lights, and back up lights, AC and defroster vents. Here are a few pictures, as purchased, as driven, restoration, and as it sits now. This is my daily driver. Enjoy, Lee

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote