The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-14-2017, 01:16 PM   #1
MASTERBrian

Running on auxiliary fuel tank

Not sure that I've really asked or at least gotten much of an answer, but I'm wanting to fire up my motor today for the break in. My main tank is still being worked on and thus I'm wanting to use an external fuel tank, but I don't want to have any issues in doing so.

The tank I'm planning on using is one of those old style metal external boat gas tanks. Looks like this.

All in all, I see no issue, but someone questioned if I need to remove the primer bulb to help keep flow rate up. I think about 2' of the hose is 5/16" going to the primer bulb, and then I have it stepped up to 3/8" line going the rest of the way to the carb on the sbc 350 with 4 barrel eddy.

Again, I doubt any of that should be a problem, because I can't believe in the 20-30min I'll be running the motor around the 2500rpm shouldn't be a HUGE fuel demand. My bass boat drinks, I believe, far more fuel with it's 6 carb and 150hp v6 than I think this motor will drink and it has a bulb and I believe 5/16" line.

In any case I'm heading out to get things prepped for later this afternoon and I don't want any surprises such as running out of fuel or not enough supply.

Thanks for everyone's help getting to this point!!!
MASTERBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 01:18 PM   #2
cableguy0

Re: Running on auxiliary fuel tank

You should be just fine. Demand wont be too high at that rpm. Stepping up fuel hose size wony matter. It can only flow as much as the most restricted point allows.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 01:22 PM   #3
MASTERBrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
You should be just fine. Demand wont be too high at that rpm. Stepping up fuel hose size wony matter. It can only flow as much as the most restricted point allows.
I figured as much on hose size, but the line on the trick is 3/8".
MASTERBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 06:59 PM   #4
kipps

I'm late with this, but--- don't overthink it.

I've started a dump truck with a clorox jug full of gas sitting on the ground below the fuel pump. 'Stole two feet of fuel hose from a nearby Farmall H, shoved one end on the fuel pump, and pushed the other end down the open clorox jug snout. Dump some gas down the carb throat to reduce the amount of cranking, and have at it.
kipps is offline   Reply With Quote