The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 07+ Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-28-2017, 11:48 PM   #51
billnorman

Re: Are you guys as disappointed with 07 and up chevy trucks as i am?

Some minor issues on my 2007 new body style x-cab which I bought new. Uses a quart of oil every 1500 miles. Rear end whine. BUMP from the transmission sometimes at stops. Air condition inadequate when over 80 degrees. 3 of the 4 door speakers failed. Rust forming over rear wheel arches, Cunk in rear when changing speeds like broke motor or transmission mount. Paint so thin you can scratch it if you rub against it too hard. Body sheet metal thin on bed rails, if you lean on them you can dent them. Tire wear is too rapid. Door handles broken, drivers side window and door lock switches went out, now drivers door lock intermittent. No way to tell if the fan is on, no switch markers, have to feel for the detents. Drivers seat belt wearing excessively on one edge, down about 1/4". Passenger side back window now inop. A few other items I can't remember right now.
Dealer, JBA Chevrolet Glen Burnie Maryland, screwed me on the price, and would not fix anything I complained about. I'll never spend another dime on anything GM from GM.
billnorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 11:36 AM   #52
OutlawDrifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutlawDrifter View Post
i had a 2009 Silverado 1500 Z71 crew cab for 1 year. very nice pickup, not impressive enough to keep. dash cracked out, consumed oil, even after i shut off the dod/afm garbage, and didn't make the mileage i expected. i did not however ever have to pull a wrench on it.

probably wouldn't own another one, but i prefer square bodies and the gmt400 platform anyways.
I'll eat a little crow on this one!

Wife now drives a 2011 Suburban and I just picked up a 2010 2500HD 6.0L pickup.

The 2009 1/2t didn't get much better mileage than I'm getting with the 3/4t daily driving, and the highway mileage is almost the same, this surprises me a great deal! The added power and capacity is nice, and having a full "short bed" works out better for me. The 6.0L/6L90E combo is great so far.

Instagram @aceshighspeedshop
OutlawDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 11:18 PM   #53
WyattTX

The newest I prefer to go is the gmt800 (99-06). After that the gimmicks take over. In fact some of the gimmicky features on the gmt800, almost make me want to make the gmt400 my cutoff. But the gmt800 has plenty of redeeming qualities that make it worth of wearing the bowtie, or 3 letters.
WyattTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 06:43 AM   #54
Willowrun

I traded my 2014 Silverado 1500 in on a 2017 2500 High Country Diesel a couple months ago. I really liked the Silverado, and I will say it was probably the best new vehicle I ever bought. Problem was I was towing old trucks with it a lot and although it did well I've been wanting a diesel.

The new truck has every bell and whistle available and I Like it! I have my old vehicles if I want simple.
Attached Images

Willowrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 10:08 PM   #55
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

This has been a very discouraging thread for someone considering the possibility, however remote, of one day owning a new Silverado. There are some happy owners, but many are unhappy enough to make a prospective buyer look elsewhere. Not the least issue is poor headlamp performance, which really should not even be worth mentioning, but somehow GM can't even make good lighting anymore. I'll keep what I have, indefinitely if necessary, but it would be nice to have an acceptable replacement vehicle if I ever decide to make a change.

Just had to vent -- it's so frustrating that GM can't (or won't) do a better job.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 04:42 PM   #56
Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM-power View Post
^ I agree, takes me maybe 10 minutes to do both.
I can finagle the headlights out in just a few minutes, but the daytime running lights.... they are too low... thats a 2 hour job...3

Headlight beef aside, I dont have any other real "Are you kidding me" reactions to my own '07 Tahoe, or the '14 Silverado I drive daily (Employer owned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocker View Post
This has been a very discouraging thread for someone considering the possibility, however remote, of one day owning a new Silverado. There are some happy owners, but many are unhappy enough to make a prospective buyer look elsewhere. Not the least issue is poor headlamp performance, which really should not even be worth mentioning, but somehow GM can't even make good lighting anymore. I'll keep what I have, indefinitely if necessary, but it would be nice to have an acceptable replacement vehicle if I ever decide to make a change.

Just had to vent -- it's so frustrating that GM can't (or won't) do a better job.
My daily driver '14 silverado has the standard headlight package (not the Xenon) and I have never had a complaint about visibility. Everyone has their own standards, but I see fine at night.

The new trucks are pretty crazy, I always have to remind myself I am in a pickup... the dual sealed doors make the cab so tight my ears get weird when I shut the doors sometimes. I would recommend one to my friends in family if they were in the market (helped in-laws locate a '15 Tahoe and they are thrilled with it.

One thing to remember, unhappy customers will always look for a platform to express frustration, while happy people wont waste their time because its not a priority...

Last edited by Maximus; 05-24-2017 at 04:51 PM.
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 08:39 AM   #57
Chevy's R Us

My 2007 single cab, 8' bed, 8 cyl. 122K, standard work truck might be the best truck I ever owned! Absolutely no issues and now that I switched to synthetic oil I nervously let it go till it tells me to change it. It has been 110-117 degrees plus here all week. Runs cool! I carry an extra key so I can run into a store or job-site and leave the air cond. on with locked doors. Only issue so far is the volume control on the radio is iffy. The HVAC blower motor a few years ago had some staples logged in the fins from me. Hell I didn't need tools to remove it! It was a breeze to bench it clean the fins and lube the bearing. Any of you ever have to remove a wheel well to get to a blower motor?
Attached Images

Chevy's R Us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 04:34 PM   #58
HeavyD

I drive a '13 HD2500 2wd 6.0 for work, and can't say I like it much. Granted its a base model with manual windows(!) etc but the plastics feel hard and cheap, and the thing likes to rattle somewhat eve though there is only about 40K miles on it.

Motor/trans seem good but I am not to thrilled about the styling, haven't been for many years.

Great brakes! Eons above the GMT 400s.
Old 07-01-2017, 11:35 PM   #59
sprint_9

I bought an 07 Silverado used about 2 years ago now. Really clean truck, 70000 miles on an 8 or 9 year old vehicle. I put mabe 300 miles on it before I heard a loud bang one day, and next thing I knew I was down to 7 cylinders. Long story short it ended up being a lifter, luckily for me after the truck sat for 10 min and cooled the lifter locking pin would re-engauge, so I tuned it out and decided to drive it, no big deal.

Fast forward another 3 months and I have about 1500 miles on the truck. I get an engine oil low warning. This seemed odd as I had just changed the oil when I bought it. So I check it and its not even on the dipstick, wtf, I never had any puddles, no noticeable smoking. Another long story short, I got it to slow down a little with a new updated valve cover, but the rings must have been caked.

Another 3 months on from that the transmission suffered a major fault, bad enough Im surprised the case wasnt split into two pieces. It was the factory unit, fluid was good, from what I could tell it hadnt pulled much. I put a rebuilt trans in it and cut my losses, the thing was an absolute lemon. I think I put less than 10k miles on it and did nothing but work on it.

So I bought a 14 Silverado 1500, it really is alot nicer truck. It still has its faults, for one why doesnt chevy coat their frames with something that doesnt suck, I mean the thing is rusting out in 3 years. The new direct injection is a joke too, the way these engines suck oil through the pcv system all that oil ends up coking up the intake valves. Oh, and my oil pan is leaking, leaving spots on the floor. Other than that its a good truck, sad thing is I dont know what I would buy instead.
sprint_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 10:08 PM   #60
FRCvette

I drive a 2013 silverado shortbed as my daily driver work truck. Bought it with 12,000 miles now have 46,000. I love this truck.

1967 c10 swb Stepside
2004 SSR
2013 Silverado swb
FRCvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 11:22 PM   #61
WyattTX

If they would build a GMT400 like truck with an LS drive train, manual transmission option, and start using a 6.7 cummins instead of a Duramax in diesel trucks, they would have the best truck around. But if you build a truck too good, people have no incentive to buy another. That is probaly why you see more and more digital componets on newer trucks. When all that stuff breaks, it will be too expensive to fix, so you will be forced to buy another.
Old 09-22-2017, 01:23 PM   #62
68is4me

I am not a fan of 07-13 1500 with the active fuel management in fact I would run from them. They almost always end up breaking lifters, oil pressure issues, oil burning, ect, ect. Now that era in the 2500 or with a 6.0 (which doesn't have AFM) I kind of like them but not a big fan of that body style.. Now the 14 and up, and I really like the 16 and up body. So far the 14 and ups are performing really good. Knock on wood.
06 gmc duramax
68is4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 09:32 PM   #63
edhtrd71

The 07+ trucks can be a good truck but they are more of a gamble. They definitely have more little cheap trim parts that fail. I have a few friends that drive them around with 110k+ miles reliably but have broken dashes, no working door lock actuators, broken door handles and such. I had never seen many ls engine problems until they added all the dod, afm and variable cam timing. I would take a 2011 over a 91 any day though. I think that is like comparing apples to oranges.
edhtrd71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 04:53 PM   #64
Crappie Hog

I love my 2008 no major issues 5.3 liter. 150,000 miles mostly interstate. Replaced a leaking power steering pump. and front axle. Been using Mobile One. and haven't had any oil burning issues.
Attached Images

Crappie Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 05:27 AM   #65
aotte1

2017 Silverado 1500 High Country
Overall do not like it.
Biggest issue is the 5.3 engine has been ruined, and 8 speed auto seems to be junk. Engine has a lot less power then rated, Has hard time to tow 5K lbs. feels very low down on power compared to 2010 5.3. The trans does not function well, High slippage starting from stop, and accelerating as you merge onto highway, engine revs High RPMs- trans just seems to slip. Engine will rev to 5K RPMs and truck only accelerates a few MPH. If in my 2010 5.3, I would go from 40 to 70 MPH quickly, this truck will not accelerate well when at a speed of say 40 mph or more.
Also, many small problems, this truck should never have left the factory.
Electronic do-das are many.
To me way to much car and not enough truck. Friend has 2017 LTZ and same engine/trans problems. Can not believe GM took such a great truck and ruined it.
This is at 2000 miles, will report back at 10,000 miles.

Last edited by aotte1; 11-24-2017 at 05:33 AM.
aotte1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 10:09 AM   #66
The Rocknrod

I have an 09 Silverado HD 2500 LTZ 6.0 Diesel/Duramax Z71 4X4 and I love it. Tows anything anywhere. I changed out the radio for a GPS/Radio/CD/Satalite Radio. That being said, I now have to drive it with the lights on or in tow mode in order to keep the batteries charged. The dash cracked in a small area of the passenger side up by the air bag.
Other than that I'm a happy camper.
Attached Images

The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 01:34 PM   #67
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by aotte1 View Post
2017 Silverado 1500 High Country
Overall do not like it.
Biggest issue is the 5.3 engine has been ruined, and 8 speed auto seems to be junk. Engine has a lot less power then rated, Has hard time to tow 5K lbs. feels very low down on power compared to 2010 5.3. The trans does not function well, High slippage starting from stop, and accelerating as you merge onto highway, engine revs High RPMs- trans just seems to slip. Engine will rev to 5K RPMs and truck only accelerates a few MPH. If in my 2010 5.3, I would go from 40 to 70 MPH quickly, this truck will not accelerate well when at a speed of say 40 mph or more.
Also, many small problems, this truck should never have left the factory.
Electronic do-das are many.
To me way to much car and not enough truck. Friend has 2017 LTZ and same engine/trans problems. Can not believe GM took such a great truck and ruined it.
This is at 2000 miles, will report back at 10,000 miles.
Interested to hear your follow up report. I have 2017 1500 Crewcab with the 6.2/8L80 and so far (6500 miles), I have been very happy with it. The fuel economy is great (20-24mpg) and the power is really nice. I haven't pulled with it yet, but will soon. Hopefully there will be no issues. My only complaint so far is that it's too quiet, . I'm currently looking into a Borla cat-back setup to remedy that.
Attached Images

Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 12:09 PM   #68
WyattTX

I wonder what folks will have to say about the new Body style for 2019? I think I like the Previous better, in terms of looks.