The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-16-2017, 06:55 PM   #1
P7M89MM

Truck Cover? A couple questions...

Everyone,

Just picked up a 1971 long bed. Paint is brand new. Unfortunately I only have storage for this vehicle next to the house. It'll be generally protected on the other side and front with a fence and gate. The back would face the back yard. I'll be storing the truck during the winter. Given the space, I don't want an EZ up as water might shed right near the house foundation. I'm thinking a cover is the best option and I'm looking at the LMC and Noah covers. Any opinions? Also, without a bed cover, how well do these covers work at not creating a swimming pool in the bed?

Thanks!
Attached Images

P7M89MM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 07:23 PM   #2
custom10nut

Re: Truck Cover? A couple questions...

Water tight covers hold condensation under them, this promotes mildew and rust. Both very bad for your vehicle. Truck covers you see in catalogs are generally for indoor (or carport) storage. They repel water, but are breathable, but not waterproof. You should at least have a roof over your truck if you want to use a cover. Also, covers are not permanent, they need to be removed periodically to prevent damage to your truck.
custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 07:37 PM   #3
P7M89MM

Quote:
Originally Posted by custom10nut View Post
Water tight covers hold condensation under them, this promotes mildew and rust. Both very bad for your vehicle. Truck covers you see in catalogs are generally for indoor (or carport) storage. They repel water, but are breathable, but not waterproof. You should at least have a roof over your truck if you want to use a cover. Also, covers are not permanent, they need to be removed periodically to prevent damage to your truck.
I was wondering about that. I've also heard about small scratches caused by covers. I'd only use it when both the truck and cover were clean, and I'd keep a nice coat of sealant on the truck for protection.
Old 04-16-2017, 07:41 PM   #4
Sweeet67

I used a cover on my truck for two winters. After the second winter, the wind had rubbed right thru my clear coat. It was a new cover as well. Now I just leave it uncovered.
I wish I had a roof over its head!
Sweeet67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 07:41 PM   #5
terry b

The cover will damage the paint no matter what you do. I would only use a cover indoors.
terry b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 08:34 PM   #6
el_fantasma

I live in CA where we don't have as much rain as you probably do. Also, I drive my truck at least twice a week so the cover doesn't stay on all the time. Anyway, I bought my cover at car covers.com and it is water resistant but stil breaths. I wash it at the laundermat a couple of times a year to that it isn't abrasive on the finish. Yes it wish I could garage my truck but I can't so it is an alternative. It keeps the bird poop and stuff falling from the trees and sun damage to a minimum.

Regarding the "swimming pool" in the bed after the rain, that will happen for sure. You can probably build a frame from PVC pipe so the water rolls off instead of a having a tonneau cover.
Attached Images

Old 04-16-2017, 09:09 PM   #7
P7M89MM

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_fantasma View Post
I live in CA where we don't have as much rain as you probably do. Also, I drive my truck at least twice a week so the cover doesn't stay on all the time. Anyway, I bought my cover at car covers.com and it is water resistant but stil breaths. I wash it at the laundermat a couple of times a year to that it isn't abrasive on the finish. Yes it wish I could garage my truck but I can't so it is an alternative. It keeps the bird poop and stuff falling from the trees and sun damage to a minimum.

Regarding the "swimming pool" in the bed after the rain, that will happen for sure. You can probably build a frame from PVC pipe so the water rolls off instead of a having a tonneau cover.
Nice. I'm on the east side of Washington so not a ton of rain. I also thought of the pvc idea. So many people seemed pleased with their covers and so many have horror stories.
Old 04-16-2017, 10:20 PM   #8
Z10

If it where me, I'd rent a storage unit to put it in until you can find permanent storage. This will be a lot less expensive than a new paint job.
1979 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 & 1979 Pontiac Trans Am 10th Anniversary
1999 Honda Valkyrie
2006 Corvette Z06
2010 BMW 650i
Z10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 10:47 PM   #9
P7M89MM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z10 View Post
If it where me, I'd rent a storage unit to put it in until you can find permanent storage. This will be a lot less expensive than a new paint job.
I can always put it in the garage, just means my 2016 GMC has to go next the house and no way my wife would get moved outside
Old 04-16-2017, 10:58 PM   #10
El Dorado Jim

you could make a lean-to slanted roof carport next to your house,make it out of metal pipe frame and metal roofing anchor it to the ground , not sure if you have a fence to anchor it too, not a permanent structure so no permit required, water will run off away from your house, will help keep it protected
El Dorado Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 11:08 PM   #11
P7M89MM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Dorado Jim View Post
you could make a lean-to slanted roof carport next to your house,make it out of metal pipe frame and metal roofing anchor it to the ground , not sure if you have a fence to anchor it too, not a permanent structure so no permit required, water will run off away from your house, will help keep it protected
Yep, just have to fit the style of the house. And if I were to keep it up for winter it would need to handle a decent snow load.
Old 04-17-2017, 01:09 AM   #12
71threequarterton

I got the "LMC 4000 TRUCK COVER" last August and I'm definitely glad I did. I live next to the ocean so the salty air can take its toll on things. I don't have a particularly great paint job - it's presentable but definitely has its flaws so I can't really comment on whether or not the cover is bad for the paint job. I drive the truck a few times a week so the cover comes off regularly and if I know it's going to rain I don't bother putting the cover on because it turns into a big PITA after collecting water. I really like how it keeps the bird crap and general dust off the truck and keeps it looking generally cleaner longer. I'm a fan of the cover.

71 Chevrolet C20
94 GMC Yukon 4x4

71threequarterton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 01:33 AM   #13
El Dorado Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by P7M89MM View Post
Yep, just have to fit the style of the house. And if I were to keep it up for winter it would need to handle a decent snow load.
x2 you can get brackets to build a carport,then use your own pipe/tubing then you can use more brackets to add more support for your roof, not sure where I have seen the brackets for sale though.... http://www.canopiesandtarps.com/canopy-fittings.html here are some https://www.amazon.com/Canopy-Single.../dp/B008ZFFB56 this is a slant roof canopy, water would run away from your house...here are more fittings http://www.ebay.com/bhp/canopy-fittings here are some more fittings http://www.canopymart.com/canopy-fitting-selection.html

Last edited by El Dorado Jim; 04-17-2017 at 01:45 AM.
El Dorado Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 05:11 PM   #14
skytop

I purchased the $199. "Platinum Shield Truck Cover" from Carcovers.com as well. Big mistake!

It is a SUBSTANDARD product. The material is tissue thin lightweight not tear resistant. Sections of it were torn after 3 weeks. It looks and feels exactly like the cheap lightweight indoor cover I bought for $49 on Amazon. The claims on their website are rediculous. I regret ordering from them.

I would not recommend any Carcovers.com product.

Last edited by skytop; 09-02-2017 at 05:17 PM.
skytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 05:43 PM   #15
P7M89MM

I've had the 2016 outside all summer with the c10 in the garage without a cover. I do have a storage unit locked in for the c10 for the winter and still debating on a cover for in the unit. Only concern would be dust but the truck can always be washed in the Spring.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-02-2017, 05:57 PM   #16
jocko

Personally I don't think you need a cover in a storage unit - I'd be more worried about some critter getting between the paint and the cover and skittering around. First think in the spring is to just rinse real well and then wash it. Speaking of critters, whenever I've stored a vehicle in a storage facility, I always scattered mothballs around the perimeter and a few under the truck, that either worked, or it was coincidence. Either way, no critters
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 07:34 PM   #17
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Public Storage units are expensive to rent, after all its a business trying to makeprofit. I have been renting garages at private homes for many many years and can usualy get a decent price as i keep them all year around. I park my truck in October and pull it out in April and it looks as fresh as when I parked it. Any landlord with some common sense would quickly see by looking at your truck that you would be a great renter. If you do decide to try rent a residential garage make sure you have the whole garage to yourself.. By the way that is one sweet looking truck..

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 12:42 AM   #18
P7M89MM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Already Gone View Post
Public Storage units are expensive to rent, after all its a business trying to makeprofit. I have been renting garages at private homes for many many years and can usualy get a decent price as i keep them all year around. I park my truck in October and pull it out in April and it looks as fresh as when I parked it. Any landlord with some common sense would quickly see by looking at your truck that you would be a great renter. If you do decide to try rent a residential garage make sure you have the whole garage to yourself.. By the way that is one sweet looking truck..
Thanks. My sister actually offered a spot in her 4 car garage but I just don't like the idea of it. I had to look back in this thread to see what pic I had uploaded. I've made a few changes since getting it back then...
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 09-04-2017, 04:53 AM   #19
Overdriven

Quote:
Originally Posted by P7M89MM View Post
Thanks. My sister actually offered a spot in her 4 car garage but I just don't like the idea of it. I had to look back in this thread to see what pic I had uploaded. I've made a few changes since getting it back then...
Posted via Mobile Device
Let me guess, she has kids and their bikes are in the garage. Yeah I'd be hesitant too with that truck! It's too nice and kids are kids. Everyone I know with classics that have kids going in and out their multi car garage uses plywood to create a barricade along the side of their classic. Granted it's their own garage so they can do whatever they want as far as framing for the plywood barricade. But maybe you'll want to come up with a barricade that has bracing you drive over to hold it up, like those signs they use at car shows but with plywood connecting them. Just a thought.
Overdriven is offline   Reply With Quote