The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-19-2013, 12:54 PM   #51
trent_44

Re: Fade to Black 71

Dad picked up the bed this past Friday and it turned out awesome. We had the bed stake pockets filled to give a clean look, so the next steps are to wire brush the bottom side of the bed and spray with UPOL Raptor liner. Then we will have a spray in bed liner added down the road. He also picked up a water pump, power steering pump, alternator, brackets, and pullies. Looks like we will be doing some blasting, painting, and powder coating in our near future. He also had a little time to get the oil pan painted to get rid of that ugly blue. Once he had it painted he went ahead and stuck it in the frame. We are both ready to get all the blue off this motor and get it replaced with all the pieces we had powder coated satin black. Pictures to come soon of those.

trent_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 12:57 PM   #52
trent_44

I forgot to update these pictures as well, but he got the fuel pump, fuel filter and tank mounted. I still need to get pictures of the tank mounted but once I have those I'll add them. Now we just need to figure out what AN fittings we need and start plumbing away.

Old 05-27-2013, 11:44 PM   #53
trent_44

Went back home for Memorial day, on my way back I stopped and picked up some parts that he powder coated for us for the project. I think they turned out great.

I also got a few pictures of the tank installed.

Dad and I also got some of the parts cleaned up, man they were a mess! Looks like the alternator housing and manifold will be silver and the rest will be satin black like the rest of the parts.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:07 AM   #54
jaydelriotx

Cool Re: Fade to Black 71

Nice
Posted via Mobile Device
jaydelriotx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 04:56 PM   #55
trent_44

So it's been quite awhile since I've posted anything, but we've been busy acquiring parts and doing a little work here and there. Not a ton of work has been done since the old man has had total knee replacement surgery and I now have a 4 month old son that just doesn't allow us to go home as often as we'd like to. However we've gotten a lot of powder coating done and other parts in that will allow us to finish a few other portions of the build. We got the seats in which are Procar rally lowbacks which we absolutely love, American Autowire wiring harness, black nylon braided fuel line with all the fittings, and a raptor bed liner kit for undercoating the cab and bed. So this will be a lengthy post because off all the pictures...but you can never have too many pictures right?

We have also had the alternator totally rebuilt after we received everything back from powder coating.

As for the headers, we really aren't sure if they are going to work out like we wanted. The guy that did the powder on the parts told us he could ceramic coat the headers no problem. To make a long story short, dad and I both believe he just rattle canned them after he stripped them, so I guess we'll see how they do.

Hopefully on the next posts we'll have the cab at the body shop, the underside of the bed coated and possibly have all the fuel lines and brake lines completed.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:33 AM   #56
emilio impala

Nice parts!!!

Saludos!
emilio impala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:52 AM   #57
trent_44

So with the old mans total knee replacement doing good we've actually been able to get some work done. The first being he was able to deliver his cab over to the body shop.

While at the body shop they had just finished their own shop truck which my dad and I thought was pretty cool. Brand new fresh patina paint job that looks awesome.

This past weekend we spent some time doing some under coating with the raptor bedliner. We are extremely pleased on the ease of use with this product as well as the product itself.

Old 11-13-2013, 02:04 PM   #58
Low Elco

Looks good! I'm more and more convinced I'm going that way (Raptor) next time I do one.
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 12:26 AM   #59
swamp rat

I'm really enjoying this build, i have a couple questions.

Need to know the process you used with the Muratic acid, did you dump it into a bucket and soak the parts? just brush it on? how did you clean the acid off?

Also digging the paint booth, would like to know what filter and fan you are using?

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:36 AM   #60
mcbassin
Still Learning

Very cool project. You have made a lot of positive progress in a short period of time. I used the raptor on the bottom of my cab and bed too. It's really good stuff. Looking forward to following along. subscribed
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:59 AM   #61
trent_44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
Looks good! I'm more and more convinced I'm going that way (Raptor) next time I do one.
Thank you, and yes the Raptor liner is an awesome product and would recommend it to anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp rat View Post
I'm really enjoying this build, i have a couple questions.

Need to know the process you used with the Muratic acid, did you dump it into a bucket and soak the parts? just brush it on? how did you clean the acid off?

Also digging the paint booth, would like to know what filter and fan you are using?
As for the muratic acid, just spray it on and allow it to work for a few seconds, you should be able to see it doing its job, and for clean up just rinse with a good amount of water.

The paint booth was a great idea by my dad, the fan is just a normal box fan and for the filter, just a normal paper element filter for your home furnace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
Very cool project. You have made a lot of positive progress in a short period of time. I used the raptor on the bottom of my cab and bed too. It's really good stuff. Looking forward to following along. subscribed
Thank you, we hope to make big strides over the winter on getting this road worthy shortly. Thanks for watching.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:48 PM   #62
swamp rat

Thanks!

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 05:24 PM   #63
JD'S 69

I take it there is very little on no over spray, I painted my frame with chassie black from Eastwood. Did a good job but the overspray was terrible. Good job on the build so far.

My 69 stepper http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=601095
JD'S 69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 11:19 PM   #64
trent_44

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD'S 69 View Post
I take it there is very little on no over spray, I painted my frame with chassie black from Eastwood. Did a good job but the overspray was terrible. Good job on the build so far.
We hardly had any over spray with our chassis black from Eastwood, as well as the raptor liner. Thanks for looking.
Old 11-17-2013, 11:34 PM   #65
trent_44

Did a little work with mounting the core support and fabricated some brackets for the radiator. Nothing fancy but it'll get the job done. Now need to find a cover to use to cover it all up.

Old 11-25-2013, 11:31 PM   #66
trent_44

Picked up a used bezel tonight off of Craigslist since the original bezel only had room for the three gauges. It looks pretty rough but with a little paint it'll look brand new. We are also looking at running some Auto Meter gauges, can someone point me in the right direction of a thread on here I've seen before with some nice bezel and gauge builds. Thanks for the input.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:58 AM   #67
quick60

So THATS what starting out with a virtually rust free truck looks like?!?!? Living on the east coast is not good on our rides for sure, I have more rust in one rocker panel than you have in your whole truck.

The misc. parts you posted above alternator, p/s box, etc they powder coated or painted with John deere paint? Intake loks powder coated.

Great job on your truck I like it.
quick60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 10:21 AM   #68
trent_44

Quote:
Originally Posted by quick60 View Post
So THATS what starting out with a virtually rust free truck looks like?!?!? Living on the east coast is not good on our rides for sure, I have more rust in one rocker panel than you have in your whole truck.

The misc. parts you posted above alternator, p/s box, etc they powder coated or painted with John deere paint? Intake loks powder coated.

Great job on your truck I like it.

Yes we were extremely lucky to find a truck that is in awesome shape to begin with. As for the parts they are all powder coated satin black. We had trouble with one of our powder coaters so we used another guy and said they would be able to match the satin color of our scoop, valve covers and other parts...well they don't exactly match, so I guess we are just going to have to live with that.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:48 PM   #69
trent_44

The old man cleaned up the bezel a little and shot some paint on it. Turned out pretty good. Now to figure out which gauges we want to go with.

Painted without semigloss clear.

With semigloss clear.

The body shop is taking care of a few small jobs then it'll be time to focus on our cab. Hopefully we'll have pictures soon. Thanks for looking.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:33 PM   #70
trent_44

So today the old man had a day off so he spent some time getting the 406 and trans lifted off the frame and cleaned up a bit for some fresh paint. The motor and transmission weren't the same color which drove me nuts so I convinced him to take it out one more time and get it painted the same. I think it turned out pretty good, considering where it started. There are a ton of pictures so I hope you guys enjoy.

He plans on removing the balancer in order to paint the cam cover and then the balancer itself.

Here is where he just couldn't resist setting all the new pretty pieces on the motor. Which I'm glad he did, this is going to look awesome in the truck. Now I can't wait to hear this thing run.

All in all I think this color combination is a far better then the yellow block with anodized blue accessories. YUCK!!!

He does plan on painting the bottom side of the oil pan and the rest of the transmission once he raises it back up for final installation.
Old 12-18-2013, 12:38 AM   #71
trent_44

Here are a few pictures from the body shop my dad was able to take on Monday. Slowly but surely things are moving forward. Once all the new pieces have been added and finished, they'll roll the cab over onto it's back and raptor line the bottom side for us before they shoot on the color. Before long it'll be time to come home and be mounted on the chassis one last time.

Old 01-02-2014, 11:11 PM   #72
trent_44

Some more progress on the body work, won't be long before we have some color on it.

Some new parts the old man bought with some Christmas money. It's always fun to go to LMC.

Old 01-09-2014, 11:20 PM   #73
trent_44

Hopefully the next time we post it will have some color on it. We weren't able to get pics of the underside of the cab since it was coated with the raptor liner. The old man said it turned out awesome, now time for the pictures.

Last edited by trent_44; 01-09-2014 at 11:41 PM.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:11 AM   #74
Hardesty454

Killer project. Youre doing a great job!

1971 c10 - ground up in progress

Tripp's Speed Shop Build -
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=589750
Hardesty454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 10:01 AM   #75
trent_44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardesty454 View Post
Killer project. Youre doing a great job!
Thank you, hopefully here shortly things will come together pretty quickly.