The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-14-2017, 11:14 AM   #1
mister.freeze

disappearing water

I’m losing about a gallon of water a day. No steam from the exhaust, or water in the oil pan. I’ve changed the oil twice looking for water because I have chocolate pudding in the valve covers. I probably have a bad condensation problem; live in Houston AND my commute is 11.2 miles, so it never gets very hot. Dual electric fans have always kept it cool in the summer, and are probably not letting it heat up all the way on my short commute. After a 1-way trip, I have to put in about half a gallon of water before heading back. I’ve already resealed the intake manifold after finding some oil in the radiator (needs a good flush now) and UV leak detector indicates no leaks. Nothing on the driveway or any dips in the parking lot. Where is the water going? I thought it might be the cause of the chocolate pudding, but without water in the oil pan, I figured it was just condensation. The overflow tank doesn’t overflow, and the system will keep pressure overnight. The engine runs fine, especially after a long warmup. I took the heater core out and just looped the hose back to the water pump. Any ideas? I’m having the motor pulled and resealed in a couple of weeks for oil leaks, so if it’s a bad head or intake gasket, it should be fixed, but I have no more symptoms than the disappearing water, which leads to overheating.