The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-11-2018, 08:49 PM   #1
briank

Lets talk Wyoming

Anybody in this section have experience living, have lived or relatives in Wyoming? I would like to retire to the Northeast (Sundance) area or the Northwest (Cody/ Wapiti ) area in five years or so. Can anyone offer advice on weather (snow amount...wind etc) and job prospects for my wife ( a registered nurse?) I live in a small town in Illinois so Im use to driving for anything and it does get cold here too but am I in for a big shock in those areas? I know southeast Wyoming gets some major winds but not about the areas I mentioned. Thanks for any advice/info. I do not want to live in town but I dont want to be totally isolated either.
briank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 10:13 PM   #2
davischevy

Re: Lets talk Wyoming

WE have some WY members, that hopefully will chime in.

It's been years since I lived there, but it will be a whole different world from IL.

I have lived in both states.

You can have it any way you want it. If you want seclusion or town living. The winters are the hardest to prepare for if you haven't lived there because winters are serious there compared to the Midwest.

You are doing the right thing trying to make friends there nowand You are right about the incessant wind in southeast WY.

I spent some time in WY last year and love it there. It's amazing how many people there are from this part of the country.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 11:42 PM   #3
dan42

Huge parts of Wyoming are high desert and the wind howls all the time, even in the summer. There are pretty areas though.
dan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 10:40 AM   #4
Ski-me

I grew up in Cody, up to 6th grade and then moved to WA. My dad and brother still live there.

It's a great area and right up against a mountain range. As you head towards Yellowstone/Wapiti, it become more lush with trees and mountains.

I do love the area but it definitely can get cold and windy. I now live in Colo Springs, CO and in comparison, Cody is usually about 15 degrees cooler on average and a lot more wind. Yes, it can be more sheltered heading west, but don't count on it too much. It is windy there and snow can drift pretty good. Also, it is dry there. Skin will feel a lot more dry.

It's primarily a town that relies on tourism, so in the winter it gets a little more slow. Summer gets all kinds of tourist coming from Yellowstone.

With all that said, I do love the area. We had the chance to live there but picked CO mainly due to kid's education. I do know my brother struggles with his kids and their education there. I believe he wishes it was better. Our kids all attended Christian schools here and we can't be any more pleased with their success. If kids are gone for you, then not much of an issue.

Outdoor life is beautiful. Buffalo Bill Reservoir is just on the other side of the tunnel, so 15 minutes you can be at a lake. But, remember, it is know for great windsurfing for a reason....wind.

Medical, I think Billings is the main hub for the area, but Cody is probably a decent hospital for the area. It is know as the larger hospital in the area, when compared to other nearby cities.

Good luck in your decision. Check on housing prices too. They have increased, for sure. Nothing like Jackson market, but they are still proud.

Ski resort is towards Yellowstone. Small, family one but great otherwise. Sleeping Giant Ski Resort, which is just next to Wapiti.

89' K5 Blazer, 2.5" lift, 35" tires
04' GMC Yukon XL, 3/4 ton, 8.1L
Ski-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 01:22 PM   #5
briank

Thanks for all the information. My son will have graduated high school when Im ready to retire so I dont have to worry about schooling...just enjoying life and my wife making it to work. I may look for a part time job but not worried about that. I guess when it comes down to time to retire for me it will be what is available for work for my wife and available real estate with a view. When I vacation again next June I should explore the Sheridan area too I suppose. My in laws summered on a ranch there and really liked the area but Ive never been.
Old 09-13-2018, 11:23 AM   #6
mikebte

Its is really a beautiful Place, My wife is from Newcastle Wy (born and raised) and we visit the inlaws in the area. I really find it a beautiful place and hope to move back the Cheyenne if given the opportunity.

It does get cold in the winter, My inlaws are getting older and have opted to start heading to AZ in the winters but do miss the peaceful of Wyoming.
mikebte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 07:45 PM   #7
snj8198

I'm originally from NW Montana but spring of 2017 I moved to Star Valley WY. I bought 5 acres and currently am building a house.

Elevation is 6,000ft here in the valley and up to 10,000ft+ in the hills. It's beautiful with good sunshine yet decent moisture. It's windy with a daily steady 10-15mph breeze and gusts up to 40+ frequently. Blew the porta potty over the other day.

Winter is winter here. Lots of snow plenty of sub 0 days, wind gusts, and it's a long season. Snow drifting is a problem making big snow removal tool a must. Usually there's a foot of snow on the ground for the Trick or Treaters. We can get a hail storm any month of the year.

Summer is short and mild with temps usually lingering in the mid 80's with an occassional 90+ degree day. The sun is intense tho at this elevation. On a clear 75degree day a guy can still sunburn.

Hunting, fishing, 4 wheeling, and back country exploring is wide open here and great! Hunting season is early here. Bow season and rifle bear started 3 weeks ago. The elk pack as well as general big game hunting is still quite good.

I'll add a little more in the morning over coffee.
Old 10-01-2018, 08:05 PM   #8
briank

Guess I should have asked initially...what about the Sheridan area as well?
Old 10-02-2018, 05:39 PM   #9
mikebte

Quote:
Originally Posted by briank View Post
Guess I should have asked initially...what about the Sheridan area as well?
Given I married a Wyoming Gal I know a lot of people from Sheridan. For some reason none of them live in Sheridan any more, but it is a nice area and has lots of beautiful country all around it.
mikebte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 06:53 PM   #10
briank

I hear its expensive..no night life etc but not concerned with night life and I currently live in a town of less than 1000 people... so Sheridan is the big city to me. As far as cost of living, I'm from northern Illinois so Im sure it can't be worse....at least out there its beautiful.
Old 10-02-2018, 09:28 PM   #11
davischevy

I took this picture sitting beside I-90 just north of Sheridan in January 2017.

I saw very little traffic that day traveling down from Billings, but I enjoyed every minute of it.
Attached Images

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 09:54 PM   #12
Roady’s truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by briank View Post
Anybody in this section have experience living, have lived or relatives in Wyoming? I would like to retire to the Northeast (Sundance) area or the Northwest (Cody/ Wapiti ) area in five years or so. Can anyone offer advice on weather (snow amount...wind etc) and job prospects for my wife ( a registered nurse?) I live in a small town in Illinois so Im use to driving for anything and it does get cold here too but am I in for a big shock in those areas? I know southeast Wyoming gets some major winds but not about the areas I mentioned. Thanks for any advice/info. I do not want to live in town but I dont want to be totally isolated either.
There is a mountain range between Cheyenne and Laramie. As long as you stay east of that mountain range up the I-25 corridor it’s pretty nice. Most of the rest the wind howls and it is fridgid cold.
Old 10-06-2018, 11:54 PM   #13
kaycee

Were closed NO VACANCY Living here is great the winters are rough and long that's when I get my OT though .Its exactly like the crew said above I live in S.E WY snow and wind here .They rely on the tourist season to get them through the slow months 90% of the time its pretty laid back The pic is a small storm last (2017) winter
Attached Images

63 IMPALA 327
kaycee is offline   Reply With Quote