The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-03-2019, 11:32 AM   #1
bigshrek64

Build thread , 2yr gameplan

Hello All,
I am a new 56 chevy taskforce owner, its been my dream truck since i was 6, i still have the original hotwheels truck that started that obsession. Well i finally bought one in december and have been game planning and buying some parts ever since. I have a 1 year plan to get all the frame and suspension done and 2 year plan to be driving it.

So my plan with this truck are:
Bought a wrecked 2010 camaro to use the ls3 engkne from, will stroke to 416 and new heads, cam, and intake will push it around 630hp at the crank.
Using a 4L80e im rebuilding with a 2500-3000 stall convertor.
Using a 12 bolt gm rear end that im going to narrow and change to posi gears.
And inboarding the leaf springs to accommodate 12"wide wheels and tires.
Bought 4" lowering kit for rear end, though im not to thrilled to lower it that much but might still look good.
Previous owner put a 69 camaro front clip on, so im gonna lower the front end 2" and upgrade to better suspension and disc brakes all the way around.
Relocation fuel tank to the bed.
Bought a boxing kit for the frame and tubular x-member kit.
I bought a dash from a 55 bel air that im going to install to replace the stock truck dash.

The nicer pics are my final product plan.
Attached Images

bigshrek64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 11:36 AM   #2
bigshrek64

Re: Build thread , 2yr gameplan

This pic didnt post, but this is what i want it to look like all done.
Attached Images

Old 04-03-2019, 11:48 AM   #3
joedoh

looks awesome! I would love to have a 55-57 some day.

before you get a lot of posts or replies, please consider posting this in the build thread forum. the link is at the top of this forum, or follow this one

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/f...play.php?f=205

please dont take offense, a lot of new guys post their build threads in the general discussion forum and its tough to move them to the project forum after they start getting a lot of replies or updates. I would love to see this project progress, especially the camaro engine!

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 11:53 AM   #4
bigshrek64

How do i move it, i did a new member post in that section but seems to be empty, but wanted to do an actual build thread to keep doing updates and stuff, can the admins move the post?
Old 04-03-2019, 12:01 PM   #5
joedoh

you did your new member post in the welcome section. the forum I linked you to is the project section at the top of THIS forum. see my attached thumbnail.

moving it can be done by a mod, you would need to message one. but since you only have the first post, you could just make a new post.
Attached Images

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 01:09 PM   #6
mongocanfly
Post Whore

It's one of those those (may or maynot things)...but I'd give some thought to going to a beefier rear end than a 12bolt before you start pounding it with 600+hp....

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 02:45 PM   #7
dsraven

looked but didn't see the post over in projects and builds.
before you get all wired up on doing a bunch of frame and suspension work really check out what you have to start with. get a big enough place to work in so you can get the body off and the frame up on jacks. then measure to ensure the frame is square and straight and no sags. I suggest to place a piece of tape at the center of each cross member with a center mark written on and then run a string or laser down the middle from front to rear. all the center marks should line up. do a corner to corner check as well and then check for sag. you can also drop a plumb bob from eack axle center and check for squareness of the subframe add on. check the subframe weld on area to ensure it is up to par so it will withstand the forces of the large engine. start a list of stuff you need to repair or work on before you start any new stuff. I recommend to strip the frame and blast it so you know what you have. check the frame for cracks, rusted thin areas where previous bracketry etc was rivetted on, heavily pitted areas etc. mark the frame where the box bolts on just in case you decide to start filling all the holes and end up plugging a few holes you will need later. decide what you will do for brackets for stuff like pedals etc. stuff that is normally attached inside the C channel of the stock frame. take some pics so you can reference later when it comes time to re-attach stuff you will be using again.
check the body as well. over the years these old trucks tended to collect debris in the cowl vents which plugged the cowl drain at the bottom of the inner cowl panels behind the fenders. the result was that water could run out on the truck floor and rust out the front cab mounts, door pillars steps and rockers. lots of guys plug the vent grill with a panel and then cover the vents on the kick panels after repairing the rusted out spots. the rear cab corners are another area subject to rust. also check the rear cab mount "sandwich" below the floor where the caged nut is held because they rust there as well. the area around the roof drip rail is another spot to look at and the tell is pi hole rust or soft spots just above the drip rail. check the eyebrow area above the windshield as well because they commonly have mouse nests that collect dampness and rust the area from the inside out.
sounds like a fun time you will have getting it all done like you want it.
have fun and post pics, lots of pics. can't wait to see how it goes.
Attached Images

dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 04:03 PM   #8
bigshrek64

Oh and another part i forgot to add is that i bought a small window truck, but want a large window, so i bought a panel to put on, but i wont be doing panel work, i have a buddy who owns a body shop thats doing all that, but i already got new front floorpans, lower firewall panels, l/r lower door hing pillars and steps. Im gonna get all new body mount hardware and mounts.
Attached Images

Old 04-03-2019, 05:07 PM   #9
dsraven

if you plan on shoulder belts maybe think about that before or while you are doing the rear wall. not really much meat in that B post but some guys use it. maybe could also find a seat with built in shoulder belts if you want them and that way the stress is on the floor instead of the b post. maybe a roll cage if going big HP?
Old 04-03-2019, 06:38 PM   #10
mongocanfly
Post Whore

I'd also suggest frame stiffening as a must...

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
Old 04-03-2019, 06:51 PM   #11
dsraven

agreed on that one. also, big brakes to stop big power.
Old 04-03-2019, 09:06 PM   #12
Volfandt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshrek64 View Post
This pic didnt post, but this is what i want it to look like all done.
What color is this truck? It looks very close to the color of one I traded for.

You've got a good plan for your build.
Volfandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 10:18 PM   #13
bigshrek64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volfandt View Post
What color is this truck? It looks very close to the color of one I traded for.

You've got a good plan for your build.

I thought it was indian turquoise, but my little hotwheels is indian turquoise and its greener, i have no idea what color that is or even how to find out.
Old 04-04-2019, 01:04 AM   #14
Dan in Pasadena

I wouldn't remotely rely on a HotWheels toy color to be accurate. Get a good color splotch from one of the known auto paint suppliers.

Another TF just to add related color options for ideas. Just touch greener than your photo. I kept this pic from a Craigslist ad I saw and really liked so no idea what color it truly is.
Attached Images

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 09:21 AM   #15
Volfandt

re. color. Don't want to hijack your thread but I've tried to match Aqua, Turquoise, Sea green etc., to no avail. Good luck with your project.

A pic of my "whatever color it is" 49.
Attached Images

Volfandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 11:56 AM   #16
dsraven

just curious, in the first set of pics there is a bathroom scale. is that to measure how much lighter your going to be when you relieve your pocket book of some cash to buy parts? haha. we've all been there. i never thought of the scale idea before though.
did you start a build thread yet? it would be good to place a link here when you do.
have fun, keep a good outlook on the build, get a plan and stick to it. cheaper that way (trust me).
Old 04-04-2019, 12:40 PM   #17
bigshrek64

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
just curious, in the first set of pics there is a bathroom scale. is that to measure how much lighter your going to be when you relieve your pocket book of some cash to buy parts? haha. we've all been there. i never thought of the scale idea before though.
did you start a build thread yet? it would be good to place a link here when you do.
have fun, keep a good outlook on the build, get a plan and stick to it. cheaper that way (trust me).
Ha, nope, i bought the dash from a guy in new jersey (im in california) that is a member of another forum so that was a photo he sent me to show me condition, it was there when he was weighing it for shipping...only $150 to ship it and the steering wheel, not bad i think.

For killing my pocketbook, i bought an entire wrecked camaro and shipped from texas, just for the engine, so now im trying to part out everything i can to help bring down that price....lol.
Attached Images

Old 04-05-2019, 12:16 AM   #18
Matt_50

I think I saw a similar dash swap on here somewhere. Looks awesome. I personally like how the gauges were done in the Classics pic you uploaded.
Old 04-05-2019, 01:02 AM   #19
bigshrek64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_50 View Post
I think I saw a similar dash swap on here somewhere. Looks awesome. I personally like how the gauges were done in the Classics pic you uploaded.
Yes me, i am planning on pretty much copying that interior, its just too gorgeous not to, but i need to figure out how to get that wood grain on the dash. That one looks painted, but it might be a very thin veneer, but if it is i have zero idea where i can get one.
Old 04-05-2019, 12:52 PM   #20
lynx5653

most likely a vinyl wrap product on the wood grain
Old 04-05-2019, 05:01 PM   #21
bigshrek64

If i went with a ford 9" which one do i need, i have no knowledge of them. How to i make it work for what i have with a 5x4.75 lug pattern and stuff.
Old 04-05-2019, 09:32 PM   #22
Dan in Pasadena

What I can offer is that Ford 9" rearends are no longer commonly available from a junkyard, etc. I don't know how much power you intend to deal with but I went with a Ford 8.8 with limited slip and 3.73 gears for my warmed over LQ4 making about 400hp. I had the flanges re-drilled for Chevy 5x4.75 lug pattern to match my Corvette front.

I have no intention of ever drag racing my truck though I am sure I will stick my foot in it here and there. With no weight in the back, etc I don't expect to ever be able to hook up hard enough to break the rearend.

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 10:16 PM   #23
dsraven

google it, ford 8.8 is the way a lot of guys are going. lots available for upgrades too. sorta like the new version of the 9". come factory with discs and posi. big axles too.
Old 04-06-2019, 07:30 AM   #24
mongocanfly
Post Whore

about any ford 9in will work.and youll have to do some mods to them...depending on suspension choice.and you may have to narrow it..depending on you tire package...some come with disc brakes as well

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

Old 04-13-2019, 08:41 PM   #25
jaws61

sounds like a cool build, when you get to the putting the big back window in, can you take a bunch of pictures, I"ve got the same plan and would love to see how your body shop goes about doing it!!
Sounds like a awesome truck build! Lsx rock!
jaws61 is offline   Reply With Quote