The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-16-2019, 02:30 PM   #1
Chris65GMC

1975 Squarebody Identification

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to squarebody's and I recently bought a 75' that is a hodgepodge of parts. The PO told me that the Cab was put on a different frame etc.

What are the best identifiers to Identify what year's this truck is?

Here is what I know.

The cab does not have drip rails and has the early style front clip on it (looks to be 75), The bed has the gas tank on the drivers side and has the fill cover lid (80's style). The cab notes Cheyenne and has a "camper special sticker" but VIN matches a shortbed (can you get a short bed camper special?). Are there any key identifiers to figure out the frame / driveline?

I'm not trying to build a numbers matching truck so the details are not concerning, I'm just trying to figure out what I have mostly so I don't order 75' suspension parts if I should be looking for 83' parts etc. engine and trans are also non-matching so I'm not worried about that.

Thanks for all help!
Chris
Old 04-16-2019, 05:24 PM   #2
Bandit130

Re: 1975 Squarebody Identification

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris65GMC View Post
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to squarebody's and I recently bought a 75' that is a hodgepodge of parts. The PO told me that the Cab was put on a different frame etc.

What are the best identifiers to Identify what year's this truck is?

Here is what I know.

The cab does not have drip rails and has the early style front clip on it (looks to be 75), The bed has the gas tank on the drivers side and has the fill cover lid (80's style). The cab notes Cheyenne and has a "camper special sticker" but VIN matches a shortbed (can you get a short bed camper special?). Are there any key identifiers to figure out the frame / driveline?

I'm not trying to build a numbers matching truck so the details are not concerning, I'm just trying to figure out what I have mostly so I don't order 75' suspension parts if I should be looking for 83' parts etc. engine and trans are also non-matching so I'm not worried about that.

Thanks for all help!
Chris
Maybe this can help.
Attached Images

Mopar by Birth
Chevy by Choice
Bandit130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 06:46 PM   #3
bhc41051

Check out the GM Heritage website, lots of information. I believe the drip moldings were standard by 75. I believe Camper Specials were only on 3/4 and 1 ton models.

https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/doc...olet-Truck.pdf
bhc41051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 08:49 PM   #4
jocko

No 1/2 ton Camper Specials (in the 75-ish time frame) - that was only available on C&K 20 and C30. And no SWB 3/4 tons ever.
If you can post a few pics, we can probably help - metal VIN tag and SPID and exterior pics will help piece the puzzle together. Frame will also have a partial VIN that probably won't help much since you already know it's been swapped. Pic pics pics...

Btw, the VIN cannot ID a swb truck, only whether it's a 1/2, 3/4, or 1 ton. If VIN denotes a 1/2 ton, then it COULD have been a swb, but that's a 50/50 proposition. WB length on the SPID can ID whether the cab came from a swb or lwb truck.

Does your metal VIN tag have rosette rivets?
Pics pics pics, bring em on, we can help.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 09:14 AM   #5
Chris65GMC

Sorry I don't have the best pics right now but here are a few.

You're right, the part of the VIN that tripped me up is that is runs back to a 1/2 ton but there is a "camper special" sticker on the glovebox which also has a vin sticker that matches the door plate. I think maybe the PO managed to get the vin sticker off the prior truck and attached it to the swapped cab creating the confusion.
Attached Images

Old 04-17-2019, 02:51 PM   #6
WyattTX

No drip rails on the cab could either mean you have a 73 cab (the only year not to have them), or the mounting holes have been filled in. Most of the changes on these trucks were cosmetic (exterior sheet metal, and interior styling updates). I know the steering gear got changed at one point (the gear ratio within it IIRC). As long as it's not body or interior related, parts should interchange for the most part. Doors are weird. Unless you cut the inner skin out, and weld in a different one, 78-91 door panels, cant be used on 73-77 doors, and vice versa.
WyattTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 05:12 PM   #7
Dead Parrot

The good thing about these trucks is the ability to interchange a lot of the parts from others in the family. Can also be a down side when you get a PO assembled rig like yours and are trying to figure out just what you have.

My 75 C10 came with plastic drip rails riveted to the cab. They were mostly disintegrating when I replaced with some metal ones from a salvage yard. Possible that a PO on yours removed and filled the holes. The metal ones use hex screws.

Mine also has a blue camper loading info sticker in the glove box but it isn't a 'camper special'. It does have a set of attachment points for camper hold down straps.

Sometimes the glove box is replaced due to hinge failure. Possible your SPID isn't native to that truck at all.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 06:30 PM   #8
WyattTX

That's quite the mix master you got there. But with fresh paint, and a "correct" interior (tailgate, and fuel door too, when you are dealing with fleetsides.) no one would know the difference.
WyattTX is offline   Reply With Quote