The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-06-2015, 11:25 PM   #11
Ironangel

Re: Anyone ever had luck getting summit to honor a warrantee for a bad crate engine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzy2013 View Post
I agree 100% give us exact compression numbers and vacuum reading also have them check the timing at idle and advanced and tell us exactly what it is . Do a leak down test after the compression test .Do all of this and report back .You have an awesome group of people trying to help but it wont do any good unless we have solid FACTS .You can theorize all day long .Not being a jerk but this is the ONLY way it can get fixed.Get all of this done recorded and post it until you do you are just wasting your time.
This is the winning response! Please do let us know whats up with that motor AirSpeed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirSpeed View Post
Mine hadn't been run, I went over ever inch of it, no soot in the exhaust, no intake had ever been bolted on, there wasn't a scratch on it. No oil, no balancer, the crank was spotless. Are you sure?
Correct!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck View Post
That may be done on the high end "complete" engine packages... But not on the generic replacement long blocks. I have one sitting in my garage...there is no way its ever been fired. GM also has break in instructions for the motors.
Correct, neither has mine and didn't come with instructions!...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
I'm glad you work for Chevrolet but sorry, the factory does not run all of them. See the attached photo of my engine still in the crate. Exhaust ports are clean, no oil or coolant in that motor and the admonition from the factory that it has not been broken in and needs a very careful break-in period before getting to heavy on the right foot.
Your my hero Fitz, Love that 502! Ever had a bored 396 eat your lunch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvgarr68 View Post
What is the vacuum reading? This will tell you everything from late cam timing to bad ignition timing, open valves, burned valves, and so on. It needs to have a vacuum gauge hooked up.
Another very good post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrist View Post
Yep, done something similar MANY times. It's worse when your wife comes out and says "could it be this?", and it is!!!.
Dont even f&#$in go there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironangel View Post
Damn! That was a six beer thread! I sure hope you follow up and give us a heads up on the failure AirSpeed...I bought the 260hp version of the same "Mexico" built motor from GM Performance, via JEGS website on ebay for a whopping $1275.00 delivered. I purchased that motor back in April of 2014 and it's still on the stand out there in the shop waiting as a back-up motor for my 72 LWB daily driver/tow vehicle as I have two. One for driving, one for racing and cruise nights...I've done alot of research on these motors and for the most part, all good, key words being "most part"...With that said and after six beers of reading through your dilemma, here's some info that may help explain the phantom that eludes...It was brought to my attention (too long ago dont ask) that some of these crate motors did in fact get the "Friday Attentions" and wrong or faulty cams, lifters, push rods, bolts, etc, installed...After reading two thirds of this thread I was thinking "wiped out cam" and then my failing memory showed up to reinforce the possibility of an inferior component(s) installed...I sure hope you've done a follow up on the motor in question so the rest of us can get a heads up. If not, you owe me a six pack of Bud Platinum! Good on you and GM for replacing that pig...~ Michael of the clan Hill~
71 C/50 Grain Truck, 350 Split-Axle 4-Speed
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
1952 Ford 8N, "Only Ford Allowed On The Property"
"Be American, Buy American"
Ironangel is offline   Reply With Quote