The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-02-2020, 02:27 PM   #1
muddstir

Thinking about South Carolina

I've been wanting to move for awhile now, somewhere south where the weather is warmer and winter is shorter. I think the wife is finally onboard with it her only stipulation is it must be in driving distance of a beach and she don't want Florida.
So I zoomed out on Google maps then zoomed in to where I thought would be a nice location to live. Well that just happens to be South Carolina.

So I'd like to get some of your guys and gals input on that state. Pros - cons , like it or not; really any info or opinions.
The wife is a respiratory therapist and says she can get a job anywhere. Me - I'm a cnc machine operator / sheet metal fabricator but can do construction and really any other manual labor.
We would be looking at more inland (kinda center of the state) than the shoreline.

Thanks
muddstir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 02:54 PM   #2
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Re: Thinking about South Carolina

Moved here from NY in 1999. You literally could not pay me to move back north.

You're going to take pay cuts, but it's all relative, we have some of the lowest property taxes and cost of living in the country.

I hope you like heat, cause it's hot. It's typically in the 80's in April/May, 90's from June through august, 80's in September, and it's all high humidity. We have beautiful spring/fall weather for like 3 weeks a year

Don't move to the center of the state, it's freaking hot as balls there. It's in a giant sun soaking valley or something. I'd look at what's call the "upstate". Greenville, Spartanburg, Easley. 3.5-4 hours from myrtle/charleston.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 07:01 PM   #3
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Thinking about South Carolina

Agree stay away from center of state either upstate are low country toward the beaches. You will love it here. The weather is nice but as Jesse stated it's humid in the summer. Other than that it's golden.

I travel back and forth to the beach a lot and I mean a lot. Going into Columbia SC center of the state I have seen a 10-20* rise on my Tahoe temperature gauge for outside air.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 07:15 PM   #4
yysenhimer

I moved to GA from NJ 10 years ago and love it. You will probably miss some food that you you are used to like decent pasta and pizza but there are new foods you will probably find and love.

You will definitely like the cheap gas in SC.
yysenhimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 08:33 PM   #5
muddstir

I love the heat. I save all my vacation time for our summer here in pa and take 1/2 days on the hottest days of the week to do house / yard work . Back in my school days I'd help the local farmers bale hay and that was my favorite job, even when I was stuck in the hay loft stacking hay cuz I was the little guy that could shimmy through the rafters.

Did a quick home search today on realtor.com and looked in Lee county and all the surrounding countys. Couple places sparked my interest but nothing jump out at me.

Is there a county or town that I should stay away from? I'm not a city dweller I'm more of a country hick but I do like to be close to a medium sized town that has stores like Lowe's and Tractor Supply.
muddstir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 06:34 AM   #6
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Thinking about South Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddstir View Post
I love the heat. I save all my vacation time for our summer here in pa and take 1/2 days on the hottest days of the week to do house / yard work . Back in my school days I'd help the local farmers bale hay and that was my favorite job, even when I was stuck in the hay loft stacking hay cuz I was the little guy that could shimmy through the rafters.

Did a quick home search today on realtor.com and looked in Lee county and all the surrounding countys. Couple places sparked my interest but nothing jump out at me.

Is there a county or town that I should stay away from? I'm not a city dweller I'm more of a country hick but I do like to be close to a medium sized town that has stores like Lowe's and Tractor Supply.
I like it here in Pickens county. We can see the Blue Ridge mountains from our house but are far enough away to make it a nice weekend ride. The weather is great all year. A little of everything. Easley has everything you need and Greenville is only a 20 minute ride.
We have several lakes also close by.
Lake Keowee and Lake Jocassee are known for their pristine waters, endless mountain views, and lots of room for all forms of water activity. With over 300 miles of shoreline on Lake Keowee and 90 miles on the more secluded Lake Jocassee, even the most beautiful days allow for plenty of room to enjoy the water.
Lake Hartwell is one of the Southeast’s largest and most popular public recreation lakes, and often referred to as “the Great Lake of the South.”
Lake Tugalo is fed by the Chattooga (SC) and Tallulah (GA) Rivers. Backed up by the Tugalo dam, the lake is a peaceful spot and a great place for fishermen. If you raft or kayak down Section IV of the Chattooga River, this is the lake where you end up.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 08:23 AM   #7
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Quote:
I googled your towns average temperatures. You're average July/August temps are our spring temps. I grew up/lived in NY until I was 18, I did all the same stuff, worked outside, bailed hay. I still do outside stuff all summer long, but I sweat a hell of a lot more now.

Personally, I'd stay away from what's known as the "midlands". There's not a whole lot there, and there's a lot of poverty. The best mix of affordable, space, temps, and JOBS, are Greenville, Spartanburg, Pickens, and Anderson counties, with greenville and spartanburg being the most prosperous.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 01:41 PM   #8
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

Quote:

From another former northener (Long Island) the heat is not what you think. I love heat and summer. I lived in a humid northern area. I thought I would be prepared.. no.. summer is a whole different beast in the south. August is a sauna no joke, it feels like you are being smothered. You do acclimate after a bit but no its nothing like northern heat.

That said, like Jesse, you could not pay me to go back. I am in NC, but we love Sc as well.
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 07:07 AM   #9
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

I am from PA also (Pittsburgh), and I can tell you it too 3 years in Okinawa, and 36 years down here and I think I am close to being adjusted to the southern climate. I am way further south than you folks, but it is all hot and hooo-mid. Myself I would avoid high tourist areas as a home front. That is just me, but I would take Jesse's and Andy's suggest of the area nearer the north end towards the hills.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 04:52 PM   #10
jaros44sr

I was in sc parris island no comparison to living there but i still carry the scars from chiggers. Im biased but i would never leave the four seasons of pa. Heck i didnt even have to shovel snow last year. Im staying put till the good Lord takes me

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote