The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-22-2023, 11:04 PM   #1
bcfishon

There's something fishy with this rear axle

I've got a rig that Im working on and do not know any history on it and during the test drive the right rear brake will lock up prematurely and there is something grabby going on,its a pulsing rhythmic grab. Also noted a severe shake in the back area of the rig like a wheel is bent or terribly out of balance. Up on jacks and upon inspection it appears someone has converted the rear axle to five from 6 lug and the center hole on the five lug brake drum is too small for the end of the axle flange to go through. They had washers on the right side to compensate for this and nothing on the left. I'm wondering if someone drilled the axles and used what brake drums they had available. Not sure where to go from here so wanted to hear what others might suggest before I dive in,thanks
Attached Images

bcfishon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 11:22 PM   #2
Ironangel

Re: There's something fishy with this rear axle

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcfishon View Post
I've got a rig that Im working on and do not know any history on it and during the test drive the right rear brake will lock up prematurely and there is something grabby going on,its a pulsing rhythmic grab. Also noted a severe shake in the back area of the rig like a wheel is bent or terribly out of balance. Up on jacks and upon inspection it appears someone has converted the rear axle to five from 6 lug and the center hole on the five lug brake drum is too small for the end of the axle flange to go through. They had washers on the right side to compensate for this and nothing on the left. I'm wondering if someone drilled the axles and used what brake drums they had available. Not sure where to go from here so wanted to hear what others might suggest before I dive in,thanks
Wow, where to start...What year is the truck and what rear axle housing are we looking at? The washers on one side of the axle flange lead me to wonder if the axle flange is bent? Redrilling axle flanges is an alternative to buying whole new axles "if" it's done correctly, this one was not done correctly.
71 C/50 Grain Truck, 350 Split-Axle 4-Speed
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
1952 Ford 8N, "Only Ford Allowed On The Property"
"Be American, Buy American"
Ironangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 01:06 AM   #3
kwmech

Either find a drum that fits correctly, machine the hole in the drum or pull the axle shaft and have the pilot cut down to fit the correct drum. Replace axle shaft with a real 5 lug conversion shaft
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 12:13 PM   #4
HO455
Post Whore

Howdy neighbor! I'm pretty sure I have a factory 71-72 used axle and drum in the garage that should fit unless you have the narrower early axle. Let me know I'm in north Portland.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 12:57 PM   #5
bcfishon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironangel View Post
Wow, where to start...What year is the truck and what rear axle housing are we looking at? The washers on one side of the axle flange lead me to wonder if the axle flange is bent? Redrilling axle flanges is an alternative to buying whole new axles "if" it's done correctly, this one was not done correctly.
The housing appears to be 1/2 ton 68,don't think flange is bent
Old 05-23-2023, 12:59 PM   #6
bcfishon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
Howdy neighbor! I'm pretty sure I have a factory 71-72 used axle and drum in the garage that should fit unless you have the narrower early axle. Let me know I'm in north Portland.
455, that is too kind and much appreciated, if nothing more it would be nice to meet you.