The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-19-2013, 12:23 PM   #1
skorpioskorpio

Any idea what a stripped tub weighs?

I'm going to have to move my tub around to various places over the next few months, so I considered making a wood cart. Then I noticed Harbor Freight had these inexpensive trailers ($300), and in particular one that folds up. So It got me thinking that I could use it as a cart to move the tub around and save on flatbed charges, and maybe later use it as a vertical top caddy in the folded position. They also sell a trailer dolly for $50. I mean at the very least it would make getting the tub on and off of a flatbed that much easier and is probably sellable on craigslist for almost what you pay for it even if it wasn't really enough to trailer the tub around.

The trailer is rated at 1100 lbs and I know the tub weighs less than that, but how much less does a stripped, doorless, gateless, topless tub weigh?
skorpioskorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:38 AM   #2
skorpioskorpio

Re: Any idea what a stripped tub weighs?

Anybody, anybody, Bueller, Bueller?
Old 07-20-2013, 10:04 AM   #3
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

I dont think you will get an answer on this one. How can you weigh just a tub?

I know, first you weigh yourself... lol
Tom Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:16 AM   #4
skorpioskorpio

Yea well I tried that, but when I'm on the scale and holding the tub, I don't have a free hand to slide that little weight.
Old 07-20-2013, 11:12 AM   #5
notsolo

My best guess is 800# to 1000# Topless...good bit of double panels torsion boxes etc.. they add up pretty quick I had mine on 4 big casters, it also had the top on.
notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 11:57 AM   #6
JJH Jimmy

I am just guessing but I think it will be in the 500 lbs range totally stripped with no top doors and tailgate. When I removed mine I could easily pick up the back end and just budge the front. 150 - 200 in the back and 300 - 350 in the front.
2021 GMC 2500HD Duramax AT4

My "It's a Jimmy Thing" Build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=583528
Budget Build 1985 K20
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=801565
JJH Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:19 PM   #7
problazer

Get yourself a set of four movers dollies. should be about 10-20 each. They work well and you can reuse them for moving other things. They are low profile (avoid tipping)and usually carpeted on top(helps to stop sliding of your parts). The lighter duty ones have a capacity of 300 lbs or so. I had my 71 tub on them for a few months while I was building the frame and working on other parts. Cheap/Easy and multi use. good luck
problazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:46 PM   #8
skorpioskorpio

Quote:
Originally Posted by problazer View Post
Get yourself a set of four movers dollies. should be about 10-20 each. They work well and you can reuse them for moving other things. They are low profile (avoid tipping)and usually carpeted on top(helps to stop sliding of your parts). The lighter duty ones have a capacity of 300 lbs or so. I had my 71 tub on them for a few months while I was building the frame and working on other parts. Cheap/Easy and multi use. good luck
yea, furniture dollies is what I used to move the frame around, so I have them already, but that doesn't really help me to get the tub on a flatbed, or to eliminate flatbed charges all together. The body and the frame are going to be on separate shop tours for a while meeting once in a while to verify fit and clearance so I have a few 50 mile hauls in between the 2 that will have to be done several times. Problem I have is that the project went over in time because I ended up out of commission for a few weeks with an "unidentified foreign object" in my thumb that made it swell up like a pepperoni and it lost me my claim on 200 sq ft of body shop real estate. Now everything is ready to go but we're in busy season for all the shops.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:59 PM   #9
problazer

Sorry about your thumb. Is the flatbed ramped or tilt?? I used the dollies to get it on and off a tilt bed trailer when it went to and came back from blasting. A little muscle to get it past the sticky points and it was fine. If it is ramped you are pretty much looking at getting some help picking it up to move it on or taking it off. You can get a couple sheets of plywood to aid with smoothing out the transition. I know this will be hard to hear but... I have seen plenty of guys drag a tub with plywood under it onto a wrecker. It sounds worse than it is. All the friction stays on the plywood and not your tub. It is that or your original of building a cart with pneumatic wheels. Good luck
problazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 04:47 PM   #10
skorpioskorpio

So I bought the Harbor Freight trailer (they didn't have the dolly though) and it looks like it'll work out pretty well, it's made to use a 4x8' sheet of plywood cut in half as a deck as a size reference. Looks like it'll land the body right about where the torque boxes start to curve up to the body on the inside, this should set right on the outer rails of the trailer frame. I'll just need to block in a support for under the bed.

Looks like I'll need to use my engine lift to place the body onto it because I don't see how I can easily get a wide enough stance with jack stands to slip the trailer under the tub. I remember someone at some point stating the balance point of a tub was like just behind the seat to bed transition or theres about. That sound about right?
Old 07-22-2013, 03:29 PM   #11
RANDAL

stripped they weigh about a thousand lbs I just bought a tub it took three guys to get it on and off the trailer and it wasnt pretty wish I would of called 6 guys
Old 07-22-2013, 04:09 PM   #12
skorpioskorpio

That I think is a really high estimate, if you take off the weight of the front clip, engine, trans, transfer case, differentials, glass, top, frame, interior, wheel houses, dash, etc, and a stock vehicle weight of 3500 lbs there isn't 1000 lbs left for the body, it's got to be less than that. At least I hope it's less than that, the trailer is only rated to 1100 lbs, that would be a little too close for my liking. Math suggests it's around 500 give or take, but I don't know for sure. Other than maybe a screw here and there that I've yet to get out, it's completely stripped and currently has no rockers either. It is too heavy for me to lift off the jack stands though, front or rear.
Old 07-22-2013, 04:24 PM   #13
RANDAL

Mine is completley stripped. Also mine dont have torsion boxes, it took 2 guys to lift it on the trailer and it wasnt easy. and these these were 2 of my biggest and strongest friends. They could only lift it high enough to get it on the trailer while I backed the trailer to it. Then we pushed it on. I do believe it weighs a around 1000lbs. But I could be wrong, Good luck. Also I think you will be fine with that trailer. I have mine sitting on 6 heavy duty styrafoam blocks
Old 07-22-2013, 04:30 PM   #14
skorpioskorpio

Then again looks like yours is also a Jimmy too and not one of those cheesy Blazers