The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-28-2002, 07:42 PM   #1
60apache4
Account Suspended

Remove NP-205

I have a 71 Chev with an TH-350 auto trans, adapter case, and mated NP-205.

What is the best way to remove the x-fer from the adapter without doing damage to the input shaft?

Also, how do you remove the CV joint at the x-fer case to remove the front driveshaft?

Thanks for your help...Tom.
60apache4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2002, 10:12 PM   #2
chevy71super

I place a support under the transmission (use a board that will go all the way across the pan under a couple of jackstands) and remove the crossmember holding the transfercase and transmission. Make sure you have it firmly supported, otherwise it could drop hurting yourself and breaking your distributor.

With the cross member removed it is much easier to get to the CV bolts that attach the front shaft to the transfer case. It is also much easier to remove the shifter (if you want) from the transfer case before lowering it. Remove the driveshafts, the two side mount bolts and the four bolts that attach the transfer case to the transmission. When you pull the transfer case transmission fluid will run out of the transmission unless you already drained it.

The transfer case probably weighs around 100 to 150 pounds. I have found it does not sit well on a transmission jack because of the way it is built. I found it just as easy to lay on my back and lower it by hand. Not the safest way to handle it and certainly the way you will get the dirtiest. You may want to have a buddy help you lower it down. Good luck.
chevy71super is offline   Reply With Quote