The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-10-2016, 02:15 PM   #51
AKC

Re: Sooo, I finally got me an old truck - AKC's 1968 C30

Got the pedal pads on, new headlight bulbs, reinstalled the shift boot, trim ring (didn't get them screwed down yet) and got the seat fully bolted in.

New tags, put the rear plate in a frame, got the "Village" sticker on it this morning.

Drove it to work. Went well, although I did notice that when I took the hard right turn here on base, I noticed strong gas smell. Didn't look to see if it was actually coming out the filler neck or at the tank. That's the only time I noticed gas smell. Otherwise it ran fine.

Trying to think of a name, even my sister (who's really not into cars) says I need to call it something other than "the truck". I'm just waiting for the right inspiration...

Pics to follow.
AKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 02:59 PM   #52
Katrina/10

Your truck probably has a vented gas cap. If my tank is over 3/4 full and I take a hard right turn, some gas will dribble out. If you take it slow, it won't do that.

1971 Chevrolet C/10
1951 GMC 100
1977 GMC C15
1955 Chevrolet 3100
Katrina/10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 03:20 PM   #53
custom10nut

Beautiful. I have a neighbor that has it's twin sitting next to his house. Haven't asked him if it's for sale yet, but as soon as I get settled, I'm going to see about getting it to use on my farm. Of course I won't abuse it, and it would look good sittin next to my 70.
custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 03:41 PM   #54
flashed

My wife named mine (Ton of Fun) Ton for short .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 06:01 PM   #55
AKC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katrina/10 View Post
Your truck probably has a vented gas cap. If my tank is over 3/4 full and I take a hard right turn, some gas will dribble out. If you take it slow, it won't do that.
You're probably right, this was a "road right" not a "stop and turn right", so it was a faster turn than normal. I have a new cap on the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by custom10nut View Post
Beautiful. I have a neighbor that has it's twin sitting next to his house. Haven't asked him if it's for sale yet, but as soon as I get settled, I'm going to see about getting it to use on my farm. Of course I won't abuse it, and it would look good sittin next to my 70.
Thanks! Good luck on acquiring the truck and getting settled in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashed View Post
My wife named mine (Ton of Fun) Ton for short .
I'd gladly let the wife name it, but unfortunately she passed away a couple years ago. Still hurts, we were together for 32 years.

Got over to the hobby shop and up on a lift to assess the underside. I have work to do...

Took a bunch of pics, I'll get them up tonite when I get home. Gonna stop by the beach on the way home for some glamour shots with the sunset.
Old 02-10-2016, 08:00 PM   #56
flashed

Im sorry to hear about your wife ,I cant imagine the pain of that .Maybe come up with a name in her honor .
Old 02-11-2016, 12:53 AM   #57
AKC

There'll be other aspects to the truck in her honor, but thanks for the sentiment.

Gonna drop a bunch of pics here, if anybody spots things that immediately ID things like the trans, diff, brakes and so forth, shout out...

The new brake and clutch pads...

Photo place holder

I just went front to back, down the sides, and back to the front. With a few other shots for good measure. Sorry some of the shots are a little washed out, the sun was shining right into the bay.

Photo place holder

And here are the "glamour" shots, taken at the beach. This was the wife's favorite spot to go hang out, someplace to go that wasn't a Dr's appt. It's still hard for me to go out there by myself, although the last time I went, I received the inspiration for the Subaru's name. This is actually at work for me, and one of the best views on the coast...

Photo place holder

I did put a sticker I made on the back, it was on a Power Wagon I was almost able to get, a long time ago. I'm going to have a striper paint it on for me when I get the chance. I don't know why, it just clicks for me...
Photo place holder
I tried a different angle for this one.
Photo place holder

The tide was REALLY low, I can't recall seeing it this far out before...

Photo place holder

One of the locals... at least it didn't crap on the truck.

Photo place holder

I'm going to have to throw it up on the lift again and see if I can get stampings off the tranny and diff for ID.

The fuel gauge or sender is a bit wonky, when I got into it this morning, the needle was pegged far right, and now has backed off to just below the full mark. It was lower than that before.

I tell you what, it gets hot in the cab without the floor insulation, don't it?

Lost one of the clearance lenses, it was loose on the base, but the (incorrect screw) was tight, I think the airflow caught it right and it was a goner. I have new ones on the way anyway.

And don't tell me, let me guess - to change out the filler neck grommet, one has to remove the tank (more or less), correct?

Thanks for putting up with the long (and picture filled) posts...

Last edited by AKC; 03-06-2018 at 10:30 PM.
Old 02-11-2016, 02:16 AM   #58
swamp rat

The underside of the cab looks in pretty good condition, but be advised that the dirt and grime can hide little pin holes brewing in the cab supports, don't ask me how i know

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 02:35 AM   #59
toolboxchev

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashed View Post
The dash looks pretty good compared to most and much better than before .Interior is much better with all that other crap taken off .The wheels and tires look good .
X2

Engine ID under the fuel line on passenger side of block, I believe. Looks to be a 327. Hopefully a 4 bolt long stroke!
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 06:47 AM   #60
Katrina/10

That truck looks like its in really good condition. Glad to see no velour under the hood or chassis!

1971 Chevrolet C/10
1951 GMC 100
1977 GMC C15
1955 Chevrolet 3100
Katrina/10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 09:11 AM   #61
swclassics

Love it and what you're doing!! Cool truck. Keep the pics coming.
swclassics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 01:26 PM   #62
AKC

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp rat View Post
The underside of the cab looks in pretty good condition, but be advised that the dirt and grime can hide little pin holes brewing in the cab supports, don't ask me how i know
Thanks! Definitely something to watch for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolboxchev View Post
X2

Engine ID under the fuel line on passenger side of block, I believe. Looks to be a 327. Hopefully a 4 bolt long stroke!
I really need to get things identified so I can get parts to fix stuff up. Thanks for the tip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katrina/10 View Post
That truck looks like its in really good condition. Glad to see no velour under the hood or chassis!
Thanks! Frankly, I was almost surprised I didn't find any elsewhere...

Quote:
Originally Posted by swclassics View Post
Love it and what you're doing!! Cool truck. Keep the pics coming.
Thanks! I'm trying to really photo the crap out of this one, helps me keep the vision going...

Got home to a few parts last night, the new turn signal lever and fresh hood stops.

The wipers aren't working, they try but I think the linkage is stuck.

Pretty sure the front shocks are shot, that'll be a quick fix also, anybody have favorites? Surprising there aren't any on the rear, but with those spring packs, I'm not sure they're necessary. Still...

I am beginning to suspect that the PO didn't recently drive the truck as much as he thought he had been. It shows signs of having sat for a while.

Question - Is the output shaft seal on the tranny an external one? If so, all I have to do is pull the shaft, yank the seal, set a new one, inspect/clean the shaft surface and reinstall. That will take care of one of the leaks fairly quickly.

Got my eyes on a seat.

Plodding (or is that plotting?) along...

Last edited by AKC; 02-11-2016 at 01:33 PM.
Old 02-11-2016, 09:58 PM   #63
AKC

OK - Finally have the engine code. Just had to look in the right place.

V1109800 - If I read things correctly, it's a Flint January 10th TargetMaster Chevy 350 crate motor, probably late 70's?

I wouldn't be surprised after nearly 50 years, and 350s were (are) pretty popular.

That would explain why the truck seems to have a little pick-up when I grab some go-pedal...

Last edited by AKC; 02-11-2016 at 10:03 PM.
Old 02-12-2016, 11:07 PM   #64
AKC

Why, yes Virginia, one CAN fit a Chevy truck seat into an STi...

Photo place holder

Of course, I had to drive to Santa Fe Springs, on a Friday, before a three-day weekend (for most folks) through L.A.

Seemed like half of California was off today, I've had my fill of traffic for a while...

But, I have a new seat. I prolly should have spent on other things, but it looked like a good one. Nice guy. Does auto upholstery for a living.

We had to separate the halves to get it in, I wasn't too thrilled with the bolts that were there, so I stopped off and picked up some new ones and a few washers. There. That's better.

I may regret black, but it looks sooo nice.

Photo place holder

Now, to keep the cats off it until it goes in. Towels, lots of towels...

New clearance light lenses are in, as is the fuel filler grommet and turn signal switch. Came home today to the front turn signal lenses and new locking gas cap.

Gonna be a busy boy tomorrow. Now, where'd I put my steering wheel puller?...

Last edited by AKC; 03-06-2018 at 10:31 PM.
Old 02-13-2016, 12:08 AM   #65
swamp rat

Um... I don't recall my seats having the rear bolt hole locations angled like that or butt indentations on the foam.......Here's a pic of my stock seat

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...1&postcount=46

Maybe you can swap the frame to the stock brackets?

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 02-13-2016, 12:45 AM   #66
AKC

Quote:
Um... I don't recall my seats having the rear bolt hole locations angled like that or butt indentations on the foam.......Here's a pic of my stock seat

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...1&postcount=46

Maybe you can swap the frame to the stock brackets?
Actually, it is on Chevy brackets. They measure exactly to the mount holes in the cab. It has been re-foamed/recovered.

Photo place holder

Last edited by AKC; 03-06-2018 at 10:31 PM.
Old 02-13-2016, 12:50 AM   #67
AKC

However, I don't think it's a 1968 seat...
Old 02-13-2016, 04:23 AM   #68
swamp rat

Maybe i was just seeing the tilt bolt for the backrest and that part of the frame, that coupled with being at work on a moving gantry mill with the computer monitor shaking.... Yea they look fine from the bottom, sorry... I think the tilt back was stopped about 69 due to federal safety standards, there is a lot of threads on it here.

Here's that whole thread about the seats and frames, you will see a standard arched spring seat bottom frame and full foam seat bottom frame, yours is a full foam seat bottom frame,
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=510997

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's

Last edited by swamp rat; 02-13-2016 at 04:30 AM.
Old 02-13-2016, 01:08 PM   #69
AKC

Quote:
Maybe i was just seeing the tilt bolt for the backrest and that part of the frame, that coupled with being at work on a moving gantry mill with the computer monitor shaking.... Yea they look fine from the bottom, sorry... I think the tilt back was stopped about 69 due to federal safety standards, there is a lot of threads on it here.

Here's that whole thread about the seats and frames, you will see a standard arched spring seat bottom frame and full foam seat bottom frame, yours is a full foam seat bottom frame,
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=510997
Hey, no worries. I'll take any info I can get. It's been a long time since I've even messed around with a vehicle from this era.

I managed to snag a spot in our RV parking lot (one of the fringe benefits to living in the Village) so my neighbors don't have to look at it ALL the time. Not that I cared. Mainly, it means I don't have to move it every so often for the street sweeper, Ka'a Opala, and just because you have to move once every 72 hours.

Found my steering wheel puller, best get crackin'...
Old 02-13-2016, 09:16 PM   #70
AKC

Incrementalism is a grand thing. Got some small stuff out of the way without having to tear into things too deeply.

New gas cap. I'll have to burn some fuel off to remove the tank to change out the grommet.
Photo place holder

New turn signal switch and stem. Innnterrresting... but went well. Nice to have a non-floppy stem. (Ain't it the truth? ) I think I got the wheel back on straighter than it was. Even the horn works better after reassembly.
Photo place holder

While the steering wheel was off, Sunpros go bye-bye. The installation left a lot to be desired. Good riddance.
Photo place holder

New hood stops and snubbers.
Photo place holder

New front marker lenses and gaskets. Bulbs are good.
Photo place holder

New side marker lenses, gaskets and bulbs.
Photo place holder

New clearance light lenses, bulbs and screws. Couldn't do a head-on shot, the sun was right behind the truck. I may go out for a night shot later.
Photo place holder

Finally, a test spot for glue removal. Acetone and a shop rag. If I don't get too happy with the acetone, the glue softens up before the paint does. It's just gonna take a little while...
Photo place holder

That was a day well spent. Had to run out for some flange nuts and bulbs (I had a package to put in the mail any way) and wanted some lunch out.

Last edited by AKC; 03-06-2018 at 10:33 PM.
Old 02-13-2016, 09:29 PM   #71
AKC

Oh, and while I had an acetone soaked rag, I tried to see what could be done about the build sheet. It's hopeless, I can make out the blue outlines, but seeing any text? Fergit it.

It was worth a shot...
Old 02-13-2016, 10:19 PM   #72
AKC

OK, dark enough...

Photo place holder

Looks like a bloomin' Christmas tree! I love it! So much better than those washed out purple lenses, and the side/front markers come out at'cha. Maybe people will see my turn signals now.

The hazard switch is a little funny, it engages pretty easy, but you have to REALLY pull on it to disengage them. Guess the trick is to not need to turn them on...

The cats are enjoying their new lounge in the garage.

Last edited by AKC; 03-06-2018 at 10:34 PM.
Old 02-13-2016, 11:58 PM   #73
flashed

Looks good ,nice and bright .
Old 02-16-2016, 12:43 AM   #74
AKC

Question - If my truck has drum brakes all around, why would this proportioning valve be installed?

Photo place holder

A friend pointed this out to me and I couldn't explain it. Frankly, I don't know...

Last edited by AKC; 03-06-2018 at 10:34 PM.
Old 02-16-2016, 01:15 AM   #75
swamp rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKC View Post
Question - If my truck has drum brakes all around, why would this proportioning valve be installed?

A friend pointed this out to me and I couldn't explain it. Frankly, I don't know...
Because the fronts need to have about 70% more total braking capacity than the rear, it decreases pressure to the rear dependent of pedal pressure to keep the rear from locking up as weight is transferred to the front.

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's