The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-27-2017, 05:27 PM   #51
MMcMasters

Re: C10 Goldilocks

Invest in a good respirator too !! This new stuff is deadly

70 Med Olive build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=714804

Instagram- protouring66
MMcMasters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 05:57 PM   #52
Phill0406

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMcMasters View Post
Invest in a good respirator too !! This new stuff is deadly
Funny you should say that, after not having one grinding down my frame I literally just clicked buy on Amazon for one.
Phill0406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 06:01 PM   #53
STAP54

Great work, loving the truck!
STAP54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 07:03 PM   #54
builtbyKane

I've prepped and painted my frames in the past (looks good not to durable). Recently did por15 ( seemed to dry super hard but looked disappointing and won't waste my time or money again). Blasting and Powder coating last month $500 which included blasting through my por15. Hands down best money I ever spent! Drop off a mess and get a beautiful piece back. Not to mention all the small things I got done while it was at powder coat. It touches up just as easy as paint. I always try to save cost and do my own work and make the excuse of easy touch ups later on...blah blah blah... Powder coating is a way better option for a long lasting finish.
builtbyKane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 07:06 PM   #55
Phill0406

Quote:
Originally Posted by builtbyKane View Post
I've prepped and painted my frames in the past (looks good not to durable). Recently did por15 ( seemed to dry super hard but looked disappointing and won't waste my time or money again). Blasting and Powder coating last month $500 which included blasting through my por15. Hands down best money I ever spent! Drop off a mess and get a beautiful piece back. Not to mention all the small things I got done while it was at powder coat. It touches up just as easy as paint. I always try to save cost and do my own work and make the excuse of easy touch ups later on...blah blah blah.

All the quotes I got floated around a grand JUST for the frame not to mention the porter pieces. Not to mention 90% of the places didn't have an oven big enough to fit it. Oh well.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:15 PM   #56
builtbyKane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill0406 View Post
All the quotes I got floated around a grand JUST for the frame not to mention the porter pieces. Not to mention 90% of the places didn't have an oven big enough to fit it. Oh well.
Well that is definitely something to consider for each area. My local shop does a ton of industrial stuff so space wasn't an issue and I even did a custom color. Either way was just throwing out my .02cents.
Attached Images

Old 03-27-2017, 07:21 PM   #57
builtbyKane

The shine makes it easier to wash off too
Attached Images

Old 03-27-2017, 07:27 PM   #58
Phill0406

Quote:
The shine makes it easier to wash off too
I know I know. Trying to keep cost down where I can I suppose, this build is already killing my wallet.

Either way I found a few more photos on my SD card so just sharing some randoms. In the second photo you can see the little sleeves my friend machined to stabilize the bushings to raise the gas tank.

Old 03-27-2017, 08:32 PM   #59
builtbyKane

Thumbs up Re: C10 Goldilocks

My wallet turned into a black hole and imploded months ago.

Keep plugging away and keep posting updates
Old 03-30-2017, 06:34 PM   #60
PBFAB.COM

You're doing an awesome job Phill. Keep it up! Can't wait to see this truck moving.

Phone: 480-297-2621

E-mail: sales@pbfab.com

Find us on FaceBook under Porterbuilt Fabrication

Specializing in Chassis and Suspension Components for your Classic Chevrolet Truck.

We offer components from the following manufacturers:

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Ridetech (Air Ride Technologies)
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Supporting this forum since 2003!
PBFAB.COM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 11:33 AM   #61
Phill0406

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBFAB.COM View Post
You're doing an awesome job Phill. Keep it up! Can't wait to see this truck moving.
I think it speaks volumes that you guys can get the spelling of my name right but even my own coworkers cant. You dudes have been absolutely great at answering all my questions and I'm proud to rock the PB badge
Old 04-06-2017, 04:11 PM   #62
Phill0406

Small updates from the last week or so.

Tried my hand at stripping the frame, used a wire cup brush and it worked good enough for my idea of painting the frame. I went back and fourth a bit but decided I wanted to powder it. My whole philosophy of this truck has been "do it right - do it once". I would've been bull**** if it started chipping away in a year after all that work. Not to mention getting it to bare frame isn't a weekend project. That being said, a friend of a friend does mobile sandblasting so called him up instead of using my POS harbor freight junk on the entire frame.

Top rail is from the wire cup brush, bottom is sand blasted - no primer.

Dropped the frame off at the powdercoater Monday morning, asked if there was anyway I could have it back this Friday so I can assemble Saturday, said it would be a stretch. Apparently what he meant was it was gonna be sooner because Tuesday afternoon I was driving it back home along with all my parts.

Frame in the wash.

tough to see but frame in the oven (they had to stop the conveyor and let it sit in there because it couldn't make the turns the system normally does)

Parts curing

Frame back at the shop.

Had em shoot my GSI battery box while I was at it.

and so that's where I'm at. Gonna get busy saturday after my nephews first birthday party slamming it all back together. Hoping to do it all in one shot, wish me luck!

In my off time this week I zipped together this little picnic table for my nephews party, it's just about knee high at the top, and you can see it had a removable top that in the box I'm gonna fill with sand. Commissioned the mrs to help paint. Hope the little guy likes it! Don't mind the ford in the background, just a shop plow truck

Last edited by Phill0406; 04-06-2017 at 04:27 PM.
Old 04-06-2017, 09:10 PM   #63
nds1968

Nice work so far. Keep us posted with updates... Nate

1967 short fleet Project Blue Goose
'If it don't bounce back... heeheehee you go hungry!" Blues Brothers
nds1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 10:03 PM   #64
builtbyKane

Frame and parts look great. It's funny how after a few hours of sanding and wire wheels coming apart that we realize that it would take days of work to get even close to a nice finish like power coat. Can't wait to see this go together. Keep it up.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:27 AM   #65
Phill0406

Quote:
Originally Posted by nds1968 View Post
Nice work so far. Keep us posted with updates... Nate
Thanks Nate

Quote:
Frame and parts look great. It's funny how after a few hours of sanding and wire wheels coming apart that we realize that it would take days of work to get even close to a nice finish like power coat. Can't wait to see this go together. Keep it up.
Thanks! It was tough to get the bill from the powedercoater but it's that extra effort that makes the truck. I'd like to say it adds resale value too but I tell my girlfriend to dig a hole big enough for the two of us when I go cause that truck's coming with me.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:00 AM   #66
cooperhw

I am in for the duration on this build. Looks awesome. Wish I had the coin to spare to buy that PB stuff. Top shelf for sure.
Keep up the good work.
cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 10:15 AM   #67
hewittca

Frame looks great. I really like the "astronaut" photo.

My son has been wanting me to build him a picnic table for a little while. I keep getting sidetracked and haven't built it yet, but I may have to copy your table/sand box idea. That's really cool!
-
C10 Concept/Development Photos: Master Thread
hewittca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 11:17 AM   #68
Phill0406

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperhw View Post
I am in for the duration on this build. Looks awesome. Wish I had the coin to spare to buy that PB stuff. Top shelf for sure.
Keep up the good work.
When I talked to the powdercoater he originally wanted me to drill a few "drain holes" in the welded up pipes incase the welds weren't good enough. He almost **** when I brought in all the parts because they looked so good. Needless to say I didn't drill any holes

Quote:
Originally Posted by hewittca View Post
Frame looks great. I really like the "astronaut" photo.

My son has been wanting me to build him a picnic table for a little while. I keep getting sidetracked and haven't built it yet, but I may have to copy your table/sand box idea. That's really cool!
Thanks!
The table cost me about $90 or so bucks in lumber and about half a day to whip together, then paint another day.

Here are the plans I loosely went off of.

http://myoutdoorplans.com/furniture/...c-table-plans/
Old 04-09-2017, 04:08 PM   #69
Phill0406

Saturday night was a success. Didn't put the gas tank back in yet but that's just a few bolts, same thing goes for the rear brace and shocks. I'm going to be pulling the rear end out to clean it up so I didn't want to do too much extra work just to work backwards.

Next up is getting the gas, brake and air lines down the frame. I have the AZ Pro EFI kit hopefully shipping soon - I would like to have it for next weekend.

Progress from last night. Had it done in 5.5 hours, which included a trip to autzone to rent a ball joint press and a stop at Wendys to fuel the crew. Not too shabby.

Today is the days in New England you long for. When spring finally hits the air and you just wanna spend the the whole day outside. Everyone else had their hotrods out and about so I wanted to play too so I dragged it outside and zipped the bumper on quick.

I just love how the yellow zinc bolts look against a beautiful gloss black frame. Can't beat it. Makes me wanna do my diff cover using the same bolts, or do a gold powdercoated cover with black bolts. hmm..

Hoping to hear back from the upholster this week.

Last edited by Phill0406; 04-09-2017 at 05:08 PM.
Old 04-09-2017, 07:43 PM   #70
Jason7121

Wow looks amazing
Jason7121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 09:22 PM   #71
69short

Looks nice!
69short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 09:26 PM   #72
MMcMasters

[QUOTE] Everyone else had their hotrods out and about so I wanted to play too so I dragged it outside and zipped the bumper on quick. [QUOTE]

This is too funny, I had the same thought today. I ran a few errands today and saw a ton of nice rides out rolling around. I had to push mine out in the sunlight today too

70 Med Olive build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=714804

Instagram- protouring66
MMcMasters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 11:09 PM   #73
builtbyKane

Roller looks great! I just installed my AZ Performance efi to Boyd fuel line kit. After I had it mapped out it took about 4-5 hrs to complete taking my time. Just fyi I called them about any type of thread sealant and they recommended locktite 545 which is pretty pricey. The small size is $28 and goes way up from there. But it served good purpose in other areas.
Old 04-10-2017, 08:47 AM   #74
Phill0406

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason7121 View Post
Wow looks amazing
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69short View Post
Looks nice!
Thanks Justin, greatly appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMcMasters View Post
Quote:
Everyone else had their hotrods out and about so I wanted to play too so I dragged it outside and zipped the bumper on quick.
This is too funny, I had the same thought today. I ran a few errands today and saw a ton of nice rides out rolling around. I had to push mine out in the sunlight today too
It's days like that I wish i had started this project sooner than January. Oh well, first day of Summer is my absolutely deadline.

Quote:
Roller looks great! I just installed my AZ Performance efi to Boyd fuel line kit. After I had it mapped out it took about 4-5 hrs to complete taking my time. Just fyi I called them about any type of thread sealant and they recommended locktite 545 which is pretty pricey. The small size is $28 and goes way up from there. But it served good purpose in other areas.
Good info! Was it difficult at all? Any tips? Also do I have to get my own P clips or does it come with some kind of fasteners?

It's good piece of mind with the loctite, I used 242 on every bolt on the chassis for good insurance, better safe than sorry. I'll go pick up some 545 this week then.
Old 04-10-2017, 07:15 PM   #75
builtbyKane

No fasteners or clamps. I just went to Lowe's and got what I needed. Need a cut off wheel to cut the braided line.