The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-28-2017, 09:11 PM   #1
Skunksmash

Need a good looking headlight suggestion

Well I've decided to go with some LED headlights in my 87 silverado. Typical 4 eye truck. Its got four 6x4" headlights. About 5 years ago, I got tired of the old dangerously dim sealed beam headlights. So I converted it to accept H4 bulbs, and installed 2 relays with fuses. And then bought a cheap set of housings off of ebay. I think I paid something like $60 for 4 headlights, and they came with bulbs. Those things are coming apart at the seams, they're finished. Chrome on the inside is corroding in large areas... its just over with.

So does anyone have a recommendation for a good quality LED set of 6x4" headlights? That also looks good on the truck. Something that when you look at it, it won't make you go "Well that doesn't really look right, does it?" Something that's not too bad of a mismatch with a truck that was designed in the 70's. Cause I just don't see something like this, being anything but an eyesore:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4X6-LED-Head...5YPpnN&vxp=mtr
Skunksmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 04:45 PM   #2
Skunksmash

Re: Need a good looking headlight suggestion

Alright how about just LED sets. Don't have to be good looking lol.

Anyone have any experience with these LED sets? Good, bad, or ugly?
Old 01-30-2017, 06:34 PM   #3
bbbc10
Diggin The SquareLife

I know you said led but these are what I have on mine
Attached Images

bbbc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 08:17 PM   #4
Skunksmash

If you don't mind, can I ask how much they cost? Hard to tell, but I think they're the same ones that I'm replacing. They are good headlights, and a night and day improvement over the old sealed beam junkers. But i think they cost about $60, and the chrome on the inside flakes off. I had mine about 5 years before I had a problem, so maybe I can't complain.
Old 01-30-2017, 08:25 PM   #5
bbbc10
Diggin The SquareLife

they might be...got them off amazon for like 65 shipped
bbbc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 08:39 PM   #6
Skunksmash

How about these? It says fog lights, but also says headlights. The lumens output would also be good for headlights.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262488681179...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Old 01-30-2017, 10:05 PM   #7
JohnKimble

The problem I find with LED headlights is that they don't get hot enough to melt snow and ice, which might not be an issue for you depending on location.

Sylvania ultra sealed beams were a large improvement for me. I also added a 24" light bar wired into my high beams. World of difference.
JohnKimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 04:29 AM   #8
Skunksmash

Yeah I live in TX, snow isn't much of an issue here. I consider all that heat, wasted electricity lol
Old 01-31-2017, 06:24 AM   #9
andrewmp6

Both set of leds you shown are crappy and have no light focus to them.If you want led headlights trucklite or jw speaker are the only ones worth a cent,The rest are cheap and crappy.If you want better lights with out spending a ton hella h4 housings and get the headlight harness upgrade that will give you a lot more useable light and not break the bank.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 02:43 PM   #10
83GMCK2500

If I could afford them, Truck-lite, hands down. I installed a set of the 5x7 in a friend's Jeep and OMG...so nice. No glare to other drivers, just a beautiful sharp cutoff line and all the light in the world below it.

Lows: http://www.truck-lite.com/webapp/wcs...&storeId=10001
Highs: http://www.truck-lite.com/webapp/wcs...&storeId=10001

Also, there are these from Peterson: http://www.pmlights.com/products.cfm...Id=71&pId=3947

1983 GMC High Sierra 2500, 4x4, RC/LB, 400 S.B., SM-465, NP-208, Corporate 10 bolt & 9.5" 14 bolt
1996 GMC Sierra SLE 3500 DRW, 4x4, EC/LB, Vortec 454, NV-4500, BW-4401, AAM 925 & AAM 1050
1997 GMC Sierra SLT 1500 4x4, Z71/F44, EC/SB, Vortec 350

My Introduction with my '83s History
New Daily, the '96
83GMCK2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 06:11 PM   #11
Skunksmash

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmp6 View Post
Both set of leds you shown are crappy and have no light focus to them.If you want led headlights trucklite or jw speaker are the only ones worth a cent, the rest are cheap and crappy. If you want better lights with out spending a ton hella h4 housings and get the headlight harness upgrade that will give you a lot more useable light and not break the bank.
You mean these right?

https://www.amazon.com/HELLA-0031778...ords=hella+4x6

Also, do you have experience with those LED's I posted? Just curious. Trying to find someone who has had some before.
Old 01-31-2017, 06:13 PM   #12
MikeB

I know these Hella headlamps are not LED, but they are high quality construction with excellent reflectors and lenses (which is more important than watts). Reasonable prices for what you get, and they'll last many years. I'd try the low beams first.

http://www.myhellalights.com/index.p...ion-headlamps/

I had a pair of the 7x6 versions on a truck for 2-3 years, and then ran them on another vehicle for another few years. Never had to change a bulb, never had a leak or corrosion.

If you just gotta have blue-white, then this ain't the answer.
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!

Last edited by MikeB; 01-31-2017 at 06:36 PM.
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 11:40 PM   #13
68longhorn

Superbright LEDs sells led h4 bulbs. Had them for a year so far and work great
68longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 03:18 PM   #14
NorCalAnthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68longhorn View Post
Superbright LEDs sells led h4 bulbs. Had them for a year so far and work great
What housings do you have them in? I've been tempted to go that route but have been worried about them not having a crisp cut-off line to avoid blinding on-coming traffic...

I don't know if anyone has tried these yet but LMC now has LED conversion headlights for the 4"x6" over-under headlights. They aren't cheap but they're cheaper than some of the other options out there and they look like a normal headlight instead of something off the Batmobile...
http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cc/full.aspx?Page=103
NorCalAnthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 09:30 AM   #15
redneckwheelman2

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

i was also tired of the stock glass bulbs being dim so i had upgraded too to h4 housings i had ran them for a couple years then this year i put these in my snowplow headlight housing and the leds are extremely bright.
the build quality might not be the best on them, as in the one headlight has a narrower beam pattern and more blueish color then the other headlight. but for how much light they put out it it is well worth it. you cant look at them directly in the daytime even without seeing spots for a few seconds after.

2002 chevy 2500hd extended long- blackbear tune. DD
redneckwheelman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 03:17 AM   #16
andrewmp6

For head light housings i stick to hella brand just make sure they are the size you need.A good housing is a start what else is needed is a headlight harness with the relays on it.That harness gives the lights more power and less stress on your headlight switch also.
Old 02-09-2017, 07:55 AM   #17
Skunksmash

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalAnthony View Post
What housings do you have them in? I've been tempted to go that route but have been worried about them not having a crisp cut-off line to avoid blinding on-coming traffic...

Well I went ahead and rewired the whole thing. Hopefully my melting relay issue will be solved now. My H4 wiring harness is now much cleaner, much more professional looking.

As for the LEDs and beam pattern, I wonder if angling them properly could help mitigate the brightness a bit? I know what you really need is the right housing, or for HID's what you really need is a housing with a lens. But I'm wondering if a lot of people who put in LED's don't just point them up until it looks good, and just don't think to angle them downwards to where the stock cutoff point would be.
Old 02-09-2017, 08:01 AM   #18
andrewmp6

A led replacement bulb for a h4 can be good.Those ebay ones you posted are not really any good and no way to fix the design problems they have.