The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-13-2014, 09:56 PM   #1
hugger6933

Tables have turned can anyone help me

I know I am normally the one giving the answers instead of seeking them being willing to help newbie and what not. I have found myself in a position needing to GULP write an estimate ,yuck. I use to do this all the time back in the old days of "chrash books " and when body shop did write them before insurance adjusters started doing it themselves. There are a small number of companies left that do want estimates turned in to them and I have had someone come to me asking a favor. He has a 2012 Silverado truck needing to have the bumper replaced. I normally don't do outside work but we do go to church together and he did ask nice so... If anyone on here could tell me the labor time to remove a front bumper strip it build up a new one then reinstall it I would be most grateful. I don't write the estimates anymore or do very little outside work so a labor guide [do they still even make those?] would not be worth the cost. I guess now you have to pay to join some site or something to gather that info all off the computer. So that is my plea if anyone could or would help that will be great. Jim AKA Hugger 6933
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:28 PM   #2
cableguy0

Re: Tables have turned can anyone help me

Honestly being that new of a truck if you are hanging mostly new parts off it and its a friend or close to it,Why not tell the guy 100 bucks and bring the beer. I don't have access to body work labor times but cant imagine its more than 2 or 3 hours at most.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 01:06 AM   #3
romy505

We have mithell on demand at work,i can check in the morning to see if that has a labor time and let you know
romy505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 01:16 AM   #4
hugger6933

Cableguy, this guy is turning it in on his insurance, he hit Bambi and they need and estimate and the labor deal is kinda important to them for some reason. Oh and I don't drink beer but I do drink Diet Coke. The parts figures on this face bar and end caps and fog lamps and brackets and all the little junk are in the like $1800 to $2000 range so I see why he wants the ins. to pay.
romy505 that would be most awesome!!!! thanks a ton.

As always I can pretty much count on my truck brothers to help out when it counts. Jim
Old 01-14-2014, 01:40 PM   #5
61K10

Hi Jim--maybe have him get another estimate from another shop. + what you come up with? you probably can beat the labor time-frame anyway with your experience. sometimes you just can't say, sorry I'm to busy. ------- Kimble

my build is------------61K10 build
61K10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 02:05 PM   #6
romy505

I talked to our body shop here at work and to R&R/overhaul the front bumper they said 2 hours and for paint and materials about 3 hours if that's needed
romy505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 07:13 PM   #7
Grumpy old man

quote 7 hrs plus materials , by the time you aquire parts and supplies you'll have at least that much time in it . Sometimes it's just easier to say NO .
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 07:54 PM   #8
hugger6933

I had 5 hours in mind but that will not cover the trip to get the darn bumper. It is 294 miles away so a road trip is in order. With the parts figures I have the bumper lists for $1690.39 and costs me $1221.17 making me $469.22 on the parts. but if I can get a ride to and from for this bumper I have found it is $ 749.99 and it is a surplus. They won't ship so I have to travel and that means $ 940.39 the parts are new never installed and still with the GM stickers so there is no funny business there or I wouldn't dream of it. The man with the truck made me laugh when he came out to get me to look, it was when the Polar express was coming through and he had me standing outside looking and said jack this thing up so you can make plenty. It is for insurance. like they are in the business of giving away money. Yea when I did use to write estimate I was always lower even if I was the same dollar for dollar. I am outside of town and my sales tax is like 1.5% cheaper, It ticked everyone else off. Thanks for the help. Jim
Old 01-14-2014, 11:44 PM   #9
Trsmotrhed

hugger6933, I really appreciate all the help you give on the boards. I've leaned alot from reading your posts.
Thanks for your help.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=544174
Trsmotrhed is offline   Reply With Quote