The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-19-2017, 09:52 PM   #1
eighteenninetytwo

First time visiting question - 3100 for sale

Hi all.
I normally frequent the blazer forum, but close to me there is a 1953 3100 for sale. I know that the owner really needs a quick sale too. Frame seems OK, body a bit rough but not crazy though one rust through hole behind passenger door.

Engine is blue (replacement?) block number clearly visible. Should the block number be anywhere else to see if it is original? And anything I should definitely beware of?? No pictures available right now I fear.
eighteenninetytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 10:26 AM   #2
vintovka

Re: First time visiting question - 3100 for sale

Having the original readable VIN plate (inside drivers door) and a valid title to match is a good start. If the engine is original (which is unlikely, but possible) the same numbers should be on the block and no where else. Then the whole condition thing kicks in. Rust can cost more to fix than anything. I would post pics here and let the experienced folks comment.
vintovka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 12:17 PM   #3
eighteenninetytwo

VIN is on the plate but block number doesn't match it. This is the only picture I have.
Attached Images

eighteenninetytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 04:17 PM   #4
mr48chev

This is one of the things on these trucks I am not well versed in but I don't believe that on AD trucks the engine number and the Vin or serial number on the door post match.

I'm pretty sure that they don't even as far as the production number goes.

As long as one or the other matches the vin on the title you are good from the start.

I don't know which one California used but Oregon used the Engine number if the Oregon title for the 51 1-1/2 ton I have is any indication. If you intend to restore it to showroom stock which one they used isn't an issue unless the dmv says it isn't the number they now want. then it just takes an inspection.

The back corners of the cab being rusted on these trucks is almost standard equipment in that it is more normal on a truck that hasn't been redone to see the rust there than not. Dirt and stuff like shop rags, paper an what not collects down in those pockets on the inside (my step father hid his beer there in his 54) and rust happens from the collected moisture.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 04:39 PM   #5
joedoh

like mr48 says, the block will have a different number than the plate.

some states titled on the engine number, others on the plate. find out which is which on the title. if its titled to the engine get it changed to the plate if you plan to swap the engine.

looks like a clean one to start with! good luck

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 07:05 PM   #6
vintovka

When i got mine in 1969 in CA i do know that both the vin plate and engine number were the same. I assumed that it was this way for all ADs from the factory. I have the CA regs back to 1964 with same numbers on all.

Last edited by vintovka; 10-20-2017 at 07:16 PM.
vintovka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 08:33 PM   #7
gigamanx

I got mine registered by matching the door plate with the title. The trooper that came out didn't even look at the engine. As far as the engine goes, mine looked original, but was actually a 235ci from a later model truck. Still an inline 6, just not original. I verified by checking the engine casting against a website here for older models. I guess if you don't have plans for the 6 cyl, then its not going to matter much what's in there right now.

Check under the floor, inside the lower door panels for rust. Those seem to be some of the big time consumers for repairs. I was lucky and got to skip all those problems.

Build Thread Phase 1 "The Swap": 1949 3100 with S10 swap. Beginner build with ambition!

Build Thread Phase 2 "The Drop": Beginner Build with Ambition gets Air Ride
gigamanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 08:59 PM   #8
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eighteenninetytwo View Post
Hi all.
I normally frequent the blazer forum, but close to me there is a 1953 3100 for sale. I know that the owner really needs a quick sale too. Frame seems OK, body a bit rough but not crazy though one rust through hole behind passenger door.

Engine is blue (replacement?) block number clearly visible. Should the block number be anywhere else to see if it is original? And anything I should definitely beware of?? No pictures available right now I fear.
Post a picture of the block right side
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote