The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-01-2009, 09:43 PM   #101
-T-

Re: project BIG RED (gen3 on air)

Nice, I will be out of the Jeeps for awhile!! I read this thread, and one ? not answered i think was what type of paint are you using on the motors and how is it holding up. I never painted the jeeps motor (pointless really) but i will paint the one for the '69. Thanks
-T- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 11:30 PM   #102
68 short step

i use dupli-color aluminum paint... you can get it at any parts store.... it holds up great, but you must prep/clean the engine/trans very good, so it'll stick properly.
68 short step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 01:11 AM   #103
CheyenneShop

Great work! Just got caught up on the build. Whats the advantage to using the hard air lines?

Thanks, Ronnie
68 C/10 shorty - "Picacho" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428379 sold to "93redsled"

Have you heard about C10 Talk? C10 Talk is a podcast all about C10 Trucks, the builders, the vendors, and most importantly the C10 Community. Check us out online at www.c10talk.com
CheyenneShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 07:32 PM   #104
68 short step

looks, and also will hold up better being close to the exhaust....
Old 11-02-2009, 10:01 PM   #105
mcbassin
Still Learning

The cab looks great! Keep it up!
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 12:10 AM   #106
ChevyChad

Are those plates that are holding the air tank on sagging from the weight of the air tank? Looks like it in the pictures, but maybe thats just at the weird angle they are taken from? If they are sagging, you can weld another piece of plate rotated vertical to the top (or bottom if there is room) and that will stiffen it up a LOT and help to stop it from deflecting...
ChevyChad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 12:18 AM   #107
68 short step

sagging, no.... they are 3/16 steel....they look like that because the fwd most x-member they attach to has a slight downward curve to it...and when i tightened the bolts it gives it the illusion of it sagging..... i couldn't bend those plates with that air tank if i wanted to....

Last edited by 68 short step; 11-04-2009 at 12:18 AM.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:54 AM   #108
ERASER5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 short step View Post
im gonna moddify the stock one, for an in-tank pump...so its gonna stay behind the seat, for now anyways.
Can we get any advance info on this? I kind of want to keep my original tank too.
ERASER5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 06:23 AM   #109
OARNGESI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 short step View Post
the jeeps in the shop all have lsx engines too...my buddy, justin, is into them, and i wire them up/ get the electronics taken care of... He does all the mechanical work...ever looking for another rock-crawler, give me a buzz, i think there is about 8 at the shop now....along with a 70 cuda getting a viper v10
any pics of the cuda
OARNGESI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 05:17 PM   #110
Ricks' 72C10
Going Down?

Great projects!

Excellent work!

Very imformative and helpfull

Thanks for sharing

Rebuild thread

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=354512
Ricks' 72C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 07:33 PM   #111
68 short step

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERASER5 View Post
Can we get any advance info on this? I kind of want to keep my original tank too.
yelp, ill get you some more info on this soon..... what the plan is is to modify the stock pick-up and sending unit, and also add a return, and of coarse the pump itself...ill get up some pics and info for ya.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OARNGESI View Post
any pics of the cuda
ill get some pics of that project....its gutted now, and needs to go to the blasters.....ill also get pics of the engine/tranny combo going in, cus it just looks cool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricks' 72C10 View Post
Great projects!

Excellent work!

Very imformative and helpfull

Thanks for sharing
thank you
Old 11-12-2009, 03:48 AM   #112
tk-mpl

Hey Don, great work.. I have fallowed, and copied your other gen 3 threads. I have a couple questions for ya... I was wondering how much you cut off of the headers before you put the V bands on and if you cut it at an angle. I just got the RH side on and it seems to turn towards the frame quite abit..

Also, I am using a 2007 5.3L and I was wondering about a couple of electrical things.. I rewired it myself, it was fun and I hope it works... Anyways, the truck is equipped with voltage control dohickie that goes around the battery cable. Looking at the wiring diagram the BCM controls it. I don't have a BCM, just the PCM and TCM.. The 6.2L you are using in HULK should have the same setup-------What is your idea to get around this... Are you going to use an older alt..

And, I was hoping to keep the truck as modern inside as outside. I wanted to get the gauges to communicate on the CAN network.. The engine has all the sensors on it already and I did not want to run raduntant sensors just to run some gauges... Do you know of any gauges that will comm. on the CAN network to talk to the PCM and TCM that you can get in a package/set... I saw some on Mast Motorsports site and that is extactly what I want. I have tried contacting them and really got nowhere and don't have much info on them... Do you have any ideas on that aswell.
Thanx man.. sorry for the long questions..
Trevor
Dominator 2600's all around.
Porterbuilt tubular control arms.
Magnaflow 3" dual exhaust.

Last edited by tk-mpl; 11-12-2009 at 02:57 PM.
tk-mpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 08:11 PM   #113
68 short step

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk-mpl View Post
Hey Don, great work.. I have fallowed, and copied your other gen 3 threads. I have a couple questions for ya... I was wondering how much you cut off of the headers before you put the V bands on and if you cut it at an angle. I just got the RH side on and it seems to turn towards the frame quite abit..

Also, I am using a 2007 5.3L and I was wondering about a couple of electrical things.. I rewired it myself, it was fun and I hope it works... Anyways, the truck is equipped with voltage control dohickie that goes around the battery cable. Looking at the wiring diagram the BCM controls it. I don't have a BCM, just the PCM and TCM.. The 6.2L you are using in HULK should have the same setup-------What is your idea to get around this... Are you going to use an older alt..

And, I was hoping to keep the truck as modern inside as outside. I wanted to get the gauges to communicate on the CAN network.. The engine has all the sensors on it already and I did not want to run raduntant sensors just to run some gauges... Do you know of any gauges that will comm. on the CAN network to talk to the PCM and TCM that you can get in a package/set... I saw some on Mast Motorsports site and that is extactly what I want. I have tried contacting them and really got nowhere and don't have much info on them... Do you have any ideas on that aswell.
Thanx man.. sorry for the long questions..
Trevor
them are some great questions, on the headers i do cut them at an angle, about 1.25" from the O2 bung.. (you dont want the flange to be closer then about 3/4" from the bung, this could lead to O2 codes)...

on the voltage do-hicky that goes around the bat. cable, ive made harness that ive elimanated it completely....what it does is see how much of a load you're pulling then tells the alt. to put out more/less pending on the required load...
how you elimanate is,go directly from your ECM pinout 'generator turn on sig.' (brown wire) go to pin 1 of the alt. and the grey wire 'generator field duty sig' goes to pin 2 of the alt.. what computer do you have, the e38 or e40?

unfortunally on the guages, ive also look into just that...guages that communicate on the CAN, and i couldnt find any except MMS, but i dont like their styleing...also i think you have to run thier m90 controller for their guages too (but im not for sure on that tho)...also 'stack' guages maybe able/willing to build you what you're after, but i guarentee you're gonna spend a few $$$...the only advice i have to offer on the guages, is find a style you like, then let the fun begin (make them work)

Last edited by 68 short step; 11-12-2009 at 08:12 PM.
Old 11-12-2009, 09:55 PM   #114
tk-mpl

I think I have the E38 PCM, but how do you tell... As for the gauges all I know is that they are VDO gauges, what ever that means.. Mast seems to sell the gauges as a package, but again only to work with their M90 ECM. I will check my connector end v iew for my pcm on the charging system..
Trevor
Old 11-13-2009, 12:15 AM   #115
68 short step

the pcm will be labelled in small letters/numbers in the upper corner, kinda by the mounting holes.
Old 11-14-2009, 12:20 AM   #116
tk-mpl

Is therre any problems with welding on the headers being that they are ceramic coated. does the coating peel after..
Old 11-14-2009, 12:24 AM   #117
68 short step

Quote:
Is therre any problems with welding on the headers being that they are ceramic coated. does the coating peel after..
no issues, it wont peel on ya.....after its welded, tape up around the weld area (so you only paint the weld) and get some ceramic exhaust paint, and paint the weld....that'll keep it from rusting and will hold up to the heat.... or you could get them re-coated.
Old 11-15-2009, 12:28 PM   #118
tk-mpl

Hey Don, can you give us a parts list for the AN fittings you use.. I was getting my P/S ready and need to order my V clamps aswell so I thought I would order them all at once..
Specifically:
-P/S fittings for pressure + return and adapters to go into the gear box.
-adapters that go into the trans for the cooler and lines.
-fittings for fuel filter, the return line off of the filter is 5/16 so a -6 fitting won't work will it..
Thanx
Trevor
Old 11-30-2009, 11:31 AM   #119
my67chevytruck
Under Construction

updates?

subscribe to the board here: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=157669
FAQ how to's

1956 Chevy Apache
1967 C10 SWB FleetSide (under construction)
1969 K10 SWB FleetSide (Future Build)
1972 C10 SWB Stepside (Future Build)

56 chevy truck :
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2955823/1

67 truck build:

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=281357/1

69 k10:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=389470
my67chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 11:01 AM   #120
68 short step

Quote:
Hey Don, can you give us a parts list for the AN fittings you use.. I was getting my P/S ready and need to order my V clamps aswell so I thought I would order them all at once..
Specifically:
-P/S fittings for pressure + return and adapters to go into the gear box.
-adapters that go into the trans for the cooler and lines.
-fittings for fuel filter, the return line off of the filter is 5/16 so a -6 fitting won't work will it..
Thanx
Trevor
the power steering fittings PN are this from summit
AER-FBM2965 6AN TO 11/16 INVERTED FLARE
AER-FBM2964 -6 AN Male to 5/8-18 in. Inverted Flare
EAR-991955ERL -6 TO 16MM X1.5 POWER STEERING

the trans fittings that go into the trans, i use
SUM-220647 -06X1/4 NPT-JIC ALUMINUM
ive been told that the threads are streight, but ive used the NPT fittings on many swaps with no cracks, or leaking..

the fuel line adaptors
RUS-640850 EFI TO 6 AN FITTING
RUS-640860 FUEL RAIL TO -6AN
Old 01-02-2010, 11:06 AM   #121
68 short step

makeing some progress on the firewall, its completly shaved now, as much as im gonna do it anyways....i made little plugs, and welded all the un-used holes in the firewall....i also made some spacers from some rod stock i had, welded them to the frame, drilled and tap, and installed some line clamps...
here are a few pics

Old 01-02-2010, 11:30 AM   #122
Chevy-Art

Awesome project, nice ingenuity with the rod spacer.
Old 01-02-2010, 04:25 PM   #123
tk-mpl

Thanx Don, I went to the local hose shop and got all stainless fittings and teflon braided hose. I was suprised on how much it cost. I think I still need some more too. It has cost me $280 CDN so far.

I was wondering what you used for a cooling fan and if you used the stock rad or an aftermarket. Depending on what year your setup is you will have PCM controled cooling fans. I have a 2007 so I have 2 fan speeds controled by the PCM and was wondering what will work..
Thanx
Trevor.
Old 01-02-2010, 05:04 PM   #124
68 short step

Quote:
Thanx Don, I went to the local hose shop and got all stainless fittings and teflon braided hose. I was suprised on how much it cost. I think I still need some more too. It has cost me $280 CDN so far.

I was wondering what you used for a cooling fan and if you used the stock rad or an aftermarket. Depending on what year your setup is you will have PCM controled cooling fans. I have a 2007 so I have 2 fan speeds controled by the PCM and was wondering what will work..
Thanx
Trevor.
ya, the AN fittings and hose adds up quick...on the cooling fan, with this truck, i will be useing the stock clutch style one, that mounts to the waterpump pulley....i will be useing a new (stock replacement for our trucks) 4 core radiator....as for the PCM controlling the fans, you can use whatever electric fans you'ld like, just have the PCM control the relays, and set your temp tables to whatever you like, so they come on/off when you want.
Old 01-02-2010, 05:08 PM   #125
68 short step

some more progress to report, my brother and i put the cab on today... i prefer to have the cab bolted to the frame when doing rocker panel replacements, cab corners, floor etc....ill also get a little jump-start on the inside cab wiring..
here are a few pics