The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-22-2012, 09:54 PM   #1
496bb

69 C20 newly acquired- another Ole Blue!!

Well guys, after lurking awhile and searching for the right truck- I finally acquired this nice 69 C20. It has the normal issues, but I think is a good base for my project. Here's a few details and a link to some pics:

http://s1139.photobucket.com/albums/...20Chevy%20C20/

1969 C20 with factory 307 and 3 on the tree. Long wheelbase fleetside. I bought it from the son of the original owner- it was given to him about 15 years ago. He had a cheap vocational school paint job done that is peeling on top. Rust in rockers/corners/floor pan a little/small amount in firewall panel but not bad. Had an airbag system added in back for towing. All glass good except windshield is a bit foggy in the passenger lower corner.

Body: Today I pulled the seat out and rubber mat to vacuum and get an idea of how the floors were. Pleased that the floor was solid under seat, floor pans need replacing- a little rust where it meets the side panel and into the kick up panel- not sure if this part is included with floor pan replacement sheetmetal or if I need to order another piece as well.

The bed seems good although I will need the drivers side wheel hump in the bed- tiny bit of rust where it meets the bed. Otherwise I think the bed will be ok- I will be rhino lining it after paint, because I plan to drive this truck and use it if I need to. Would love a show truck, but not for this one- it's a workhorse and I want to use it and enjoy it instead of having it parked most of the time. Can I add the upper and lower trim moulding if this truck didn't come with any? How would you ensure proper positioning of the holes that would have to be drilled?

Drivetrain: Recent new clutch setup, I like the 3 on the tree shifting. 307 runs, has about 140K on the truck. Recent fuel pump and filter replacement, but it won't idle without choke on. May find a 4 barrel and intake to swap in if I can find a cheap one. I have a 5.3 sitting in the garage already on a stand- had intended to put it in a truck when I found one- but now I am second guessing myself and thinking about maybe just a good ole crate 350 and carb for this workhorse. Don't have much in the 5.3, but would have to get a different trans and I also don't have the computer/harness. By the time I get all that and the swap components necessary- I could easily sell this 5.3 and buy a GM crate 350, drop it in and be done. Kinda like the old school for this truck, although I am well aware of the advantages of the LS motor.

Today I also tried to bleed the brakes (only front left tire braking- drums all the way around)- first time I have ever attempted that. Well, couldn't get the other 3 wheels to bleed. The rubber hose for drivers front wheel has obviously been replaced not too long ago. Passenger front has at some point but looked pretty dry, and the rear hose I think was original. I removed the rear and front passenger hoses- ordered new ones. Is it possible the bleeder screws are clogged too? Can I clean those somehow or get new ones? I called the local parts store- just for grins- and the young punk I think just gave up and said it would take 10 days minimum cause he's too ignorant to know how to look up parts for such an old truck! Glad for all the classic parts suppliers. Going to the junkyard to see if I can score a C30 front disc setup from a 73-87, as well as a PB booster setup. PS steering would be nice too.

Interior: Seat looks like maybe a recover at some point- but interestingly it has a tag on back that read "8-24-70" although the truck is a 69. Maybe it was replaced at some point but I dunno. I have included some pics of the seat in the album in hopes of getting some advice and help about rebuilding it- and will post a specific help post for this. I think it is missing a large spring on the bottom, and the lever is broken that moves position- and that side seems stuck in place. Not sure what the mechanism should look like factory. Would like to tackele a re-cover myself- an read the 72 bench rebuild thread here with interest. Will need dash pad/door panels and will get some custom gauges of course. Does anybody make a replacement sheetmetal piece to correct the hacked up radio area? I would like to do one of the shaft type aftermarket radios to keep the original look, but PO had a din radio installed (and poorly at that).

Well, I hope to get really into this project- and would appreciate any constructive advice or help from anybody- especially those that might be close to central AL. I will need some parts so those close by speak up and introduce yourself!!
496bb is offline   Reply With Quote