The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-24-2012, 11:14 AM   #1
Scotty14

Project 1970 GMC long bed Project "told you so"

Ok, this truck first made its appearance in my life about two years ago when one of my idiot friends decided he would trade his newer, drivable, nice motorcycle for this basket case of a truck. When he first showed it to me i thought to myself there was no chance that he would ever get this thing on the road. I quickly offered him $1000.00 for the truck which he scoffed at claiming he would have it done and on the road in a matter of months. We fast forward to the present and shortly after finding out my buddy has gotten some chick pregnant he calls me up ready to sell. Upon many negotiations he finally settles on a price of $700.00. This price includes the truck two engines (350, 283 ) and two trans. The 283 motor is decked out with Keith Black racing components and is something i am going to save for a later project. Last year before i got this truck i started working at a local restoration shop on the side to kind of pick up some skills to aid me in re doing some of my own projects. I have two Volkswagens that are my primary area of concern at the present time with the truck being second and my 68 olds cutlass being the last. I am basically interested in gaining any knowledge that is out there in the suspension set ups for these trucks as far as bagging them, c notching the frame or anything any of you want to tell me, I AM OPEN TO ANYTHING. I started by removing the front clip as you can see in the pics and i have one fender in prime that needs some metal work and body work (will post pics later). If you have any suggestions of what i should start with let me know, i will tell you that i do have five lug set up to swap out the six lugs that are on it currently.
Attached Images

Scotty14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:20 PM   #2
Tinkermc

Re: Project 1970 GMC long bed Project "told you so"

first thing is you need a plan or you will end up redoing a lot of work. Come up with a list like drop suspension 4" in front 6" in rear 350 ci power plant auto 700r bucket seaTs cruise contro; alpine stereo gas tank in frame. Just ideas. But get a game plan and go from there. Were all here to help.
Tinkermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:28 PM   #3
Scotty14

Re: Project 1970 GMC long bed Project "told you so"

Thanks for that bit of advice. I wanted to bag this truck but i have been reading a lot and realized that in order to do that i would have to have some kind of a suspension set up in the front as well as the modifications for the rear. I have decided to rebuild the the 350 that has come with truck but that is about as far as i have thought about it. Like i mentioned before the Volkswagens are my main priority right now.
Scotty14 is offline   Reply With Quote