The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-10-2017, 02:04 PM   #1
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Frame weight, methods for a mobile frame & powder coat

This frame is for a SWB. For what it's worth, I live in a dry climate. :

I'm second guessing my plan to spray the frame and stripping it the hard way, in favor of having it sandblasted, and possibly powder coated. If it's powder coated then obviously the frame must be mobile.

What do you figure a SWB frame weighs, with or without the engine & transmission cross members removed?

Ideas for transferring a frame, both dollies of some sort and trailer? I don't have the capacity to build out of metal. Near as I can tell, I could do this with just furniture dollies.

I'm contemplating having parts that were black satin (e.g., brackets, core support) and black phosphate (e.g., hood hinges & latch) powder coated. I've only read two downsides to powder coating. One is if scratched, you have the option to ignore it or do it over. The other is separation, from I believe sharp edges and such. Have you guys experienced this separation? Seems say a hood hinge and spring might be the worst offenders, but I see many are powder coated.

Other than that seems powder coat is a great way to go. Saves time, looks amazing, and really, it doesn't appear to be much more expensive than paint. You could argue less expensive.

Thank you
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 02:27 PM   #2
harpo231

Re: Frame weight, methods for a mobile frame & powder coat

Seperation in powder coating is a result of different sized particles in the powder and is up to the coater to test this . We required an impact test,cross-hatch and x-ray florescence for thickness .
harpo231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 04:01 PM   #3
B. W.

I've not powder coated a truck frame but what I've seen on this forum is most guys blow the frame apart for coating & then bolt it back together. Makes it easier to transport & easier to get the nooks & crannys when powder coating.
B. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 04:10 PM   #4
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. W. View Post
I've not powder coated a truck frame but what I've seen on this forum is most guys blow the frame apart for coating & then bolt it back together. Makes it easier to transport & easier to get the nooks & crannys when powder coating.
Makes sense, but at this point I'm not a fan of cutting rivets.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
Old 12-10-2017, 05:48 PM   #5
B. W.

Me neither, I think rivets are better because they swell to fill the hole when set. My frame was so worn about 1/2 of my rivets were loose, I drilled them out, repaired the holes, reamed for a tight fit & bolted, I would still rather have rivets.
B. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 08:32 PM   #6
Miller's Metal

When I powder coated mine 4x4 swb the cross members were done separate.
Me and my brother loaded it on the trailer. when it was finished there was a few times I packed it out of the garage bay by myself to make room, picking in the middle. I'm sure with a little foam where it contacts the trailer or put it on some carpet you would be fine.

Last edited by Miller's Metal; 12-11-2017 at 08:45 PM. Reason: spelling error
Miller's Metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 11:53 PM   #7
FirstOwner69

I transported mine to the sandblaster on a boat trailer. If I recall correctly a friend and I loaded it with not a lot of effort. The sandblaster also painted it with a semi flat black machinery paint for an original appearance. The paint took several days to thoroughly dry and is tough as nails. I'm not sure why folks are so enthralled with powder coating. Below are pictures before and after going to the blaster.

Jim
Attached Images

Last edited by FirstOwner69; 12-12-2017 at 12:02 AM.
FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 11:10 AM   #8
BossHogg69
motor exploder

I took mine in for blasting & powder exactly like Firstowner69 did. You can easily carry the frame with two guys with it partially disassembled like that.

1969 Chevy CST/10 stepside, DART Big M/TREMEC Magnum Extreme/3.73's w/Detroit Truetrac
1965 Chevy Bel Air Wagon (daily driver), 327/TH350,10 bolt w/3.08's
1961 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe, ZZ454/M21/9" rear w/3.50's & Detroit Truetrac
2005 GMC 1500 ccsb 2wd, 6.0L/4L65e/3.73 G80
2006 GMC 2500HD ccsb 4x4, DMax LBZ/Allison 6spd/4.56's w/Detroit TrueTrac

Use the SEARCH function on this forum - it is your friend!!
BossHogg69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 11:25 AM   #9
David67

I rented an open uhaul trailer. My brother and I loaded it by hand. I did everything in satin black...easy to touch up when you realize you forgot to drill a few holes...

I've also grinded/sandblasted one down to bare metal and primed/painted. Definitely a lot of work, but it's a cost saver for sure.

Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of 2015

IG: david_r67
David67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 01:49 PM   #10
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

The frame seems to be surprisingly light. Thanks for the info.
Old 12-12-2017, 02:29 PM   #11
leddzepp

Fairly easy to lift onto a trailer with 2 people if the frame is stripped. You won’t regret getting it powder coated. Paint is nice...but powder is still a step above
Attached Images

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 04:02 PM   #12
beaterku

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
Makes sense, but at this point I'm not a fan of cutting rivets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by B. W. View Post
Me neither, I think rivets are better because they swell to fill the hole when set. My frame was so worn about 1/2 of my rivets were loose, I drilled them out, repaired the holes, reamed for a tight fit & bolted, I would still rather have rivets.
A properly sized hole and a bolted connection torqued will provide every bit of the same clamping force as a rivet.

Drilling rivets is my preferred method of removal. Here is a video of me removing the rivets in the rear of my frame. It's a heck of a lot quieter than using an air hammer and a lot faster (I've removed with with an air hammer, grinder and drilling).

https://youtu.be/BXHq3jkOqTA?t=44s
beaterku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 07:53 PM   #13
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaterku View Post
A properly sized hole and a bolted connection torqued will provide every bit of the same clamping force as a rivet.

Drilling rivets is my preferred method of removal. Here is a video of me removing the rivets in the rear of my frame. It's a heck of a lot quieter than using an air hammer and a lot faster (I've removed with with an air hammer, grinder and drilling).

https://youtu.be/BXHq3jkOqTA?t=44s
Very cool. You made it look easy. We're removing the front suspension this weekend. I was going to cut, but may drill instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
Fairly easy to lift onto a trailer with 2 people if the frame is stripped. You won’t regret getting it powder coated. Paint is nice...but powder is still a step above
Looks great. Semi or gloss?
Old 12-12-2017, 08:18 PM   #14
beaterku

Quote:
Very cool. You made it look easy. We're removing the front suspension this weekend. I was going to cut, but may drill instead.
My only recommendation is a sharp set of drill bits. Start small and work your way up. I used a 1/2” bit to take most of the head of the rivet down and then chiseled what remaining head was left. You can do the same on the other side of the rivet to remove it completely. Every so often, I had s rivet that I could push out with a pinch and a hammer, but most had to be drilled on the opposite side as well.
beaterku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 08:55 PM   #15
harpo231

I always recommend that folks learn to sharpen a bit. many a wasted hour if ya dull yer bit
harpo231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 09:53 PM   #16
Fatherflash

Looks like a nice plan however, what about your grounds? How are you going to manage them? Powder coat and paint can interrupt grounds. If you are really set on powder coating, I would recommend a conductive sealant at every ground point location. This works to prevent moisture and improve electric or ground conduction.

Would also recommend you consider dry ice blasting instead of sand. Sand absorbs moisture and interrupts paint application. Sand particles can be trapped in the applied pattern and trap moisture. Dry ice dissolves / disappears following contact with hard surface.

Whoever you ask to do the work, ensure they clean the frame thoroughly using non residue cleaner (example - Isopropyl Alcohol) prior to primer, paint or powder coat application.

My perspective only. Whatever you decide, good luck and let us know the outcome.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:50 PM   #17
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatherflash View Post
Looks like a nice plan however, what about your grounds? How are you going to manage them? Powder coat and paint can interrupt grounds. If you are really set on powder coating, I would recommend a conductive sealant at every ground point location. This works to prevent moisture and improve electric or ground conduction.

Would also recommend you consider dry ice blasting instead of sand. Sand absorbs moisture and interrupts paint application. Sand particles can be trapped in the applied pattern and trap moisture. Dry ice dissolves / disappears following contact with hard surface.

Whoever you ask to do the work, ensure they clean the frame thoroughly using non residue cleaner (example - Isopropyl Alcohol) prior to primer, paint or powder coat application.

My perspective only. Whatever you decide, good luck and let us know the outcome.
On those grounds, do you take it down to metal and use the conductive sealant? As far as scuffing, seems the threaded holes (cab and inner fender) work as is. I see GM left the surfaces painted. I'll probably take a small wire brush to the holes. As for the bolt locations, I've heard ground washers will make that contact, but per at least one of our finer posters, the area should be scuffed.

Neat idea on the dry ice. I don't have the equipment to blast. Perhaps this place I've found for blasting does this, but I doubt it. Yesterday they sandblasted my inner fenders. They do powder coat as well.

While I get Firstowners point (nice Jim), I'm pondering powder coat a lot. Nice thing is it's one stop and quick work. If I do that, I may have most of the satin/phosphate parts powder coated too. I asked the body man if he was interested in painting the frame, and nope, he's not......Ha! Either way it will get done. Thanks for the info., gives me some idea what to ask for, blasting and powder.

OT: I found this truck looking for 72 chevy and powder coat. WOW.......While I like my SWB a lot, I don't buy much stock in the idea a LWB is inferior in looks, it depends on the truck. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbgi233Qq_A

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 12-13-2017 at 10:00 PM.
Old 12-14-2017, 12:58 PM   #18
davepl

Here's mine going off for powder. I think I just picked up one end with the hoist and manhandled the other, if I recall. Not that heavy when stripped down. You can tell the Camaro still has a big iron block in the nose, it's about an inch or more higher with the aluminum LS in there!

Tip one: Buy an EXTRA pack of ground straps. Connect the frame to the bed, the front and rear to the frame, all of that. Powder coating makes for good insulation between surfaces otherwise.

Tip two: If you care what they look like, get your ground straps from Ecklers Corvette or someone who cares what they look like so you can still get copper. All the LMC replacements are aluminum (or steel).

Get some references on the powder place. Mine was an industrial coater who did shelving, but they did a great job. They sand blasted, steam cleaned, and acid washed everything first and nothing has every chipped.
Attached Images

davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 07:51 PM   #19
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepl View Post
Here's mine going off for powder. I think I just picked up one end with the hoist and manhandled the other, if I recall. Not that heavy when stripped down. You can tell the Camaro still has a big iron block in the nose, it's about an inch or more higher with the aluminum LS in there!

Tip one: Buy an EXTRA pack of ground straps. Connect the frame to the bed, the front and rear to the frame, all of that. Powder coating makes for good insulation between surfaces otherwise.

Tip two: If you care what they look like, get your ground straps from Ecklers Corvette or someone who cares what they look like so you can still get copper. All the LMC replacements are aluminum (or steel).

Get some references on the powder place. Mine was an industrial coater who did shelving, but they did a great job. They sand blasted, steam cleaned, and acid washed everything first and nothing has every chipped.
Going off for powder? By the condition of those parts, I think you mean after.

On your idea for throw away grounds straps, seems you could manage with just the bolts and screws in place. Perhaps I missed the message. Do you mean install and then have them powder coated, so the surface remains bare?

I didn't know copper was available...........darn it, one of our finer dealers sold me metal color You recall the year Corvette you used?

NICE Camaro.
Old 12-18-2017, 02:02 PM   #20
Fatherflash

Quote:
On those grounds, do you take it down to metal and use the conductive sealant? As far as scuffing, seems the threaded holes (cab and inner fender) work as is. I see GM left the surfaces painted. I'll probably take a small wire brush to the holes. As for the bolt locations, I've heard ground washers will make that contact, but per at least one of our finer posters, the area should be scuffed.

Neat idea on the dry ice. I don't have the equipment to blast. Perhaps this place I've found for blasting does this, but I doubt it. Yesterday they sandblasted my inner fenders. They do powder coat as well.

While I get Firstowners point (nice Jim), I'm pondering powder coat a lot. Nice thing is it's one stop and quick work. If I do that, I may have most of the satin/phosphate parts powder coated too. I asked the body man if he was interested in painting the frame, and nope, he's not......Ha! Either way it will get done. Thanks for the info., gives me some idea what to ask for, blasting and powder.

OT: I found this truck looking for 72 chevy and powder coat. WOW.......While I like my SWB a lot, I don't buy much stock in the idea a LWB is inferior in looks, it depends on the truck. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbgi233Qq_A

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you. Been rather busy. I would recommend bare surface on scuffed contacts with conductive sealant applied over locations. We use PR-2200 conductive sealant and have really good results with it. Stuff is expensive so may want to consider other options. Reason for recommendation is a) stuff has fantastic temperature range. We use it on equipment that goes from +120 F to -117 F in 1.5 hours and have never had a electrical or ground problem due to this sealant when applied. b) simply because it never gives us problems however, we follow the application guidelines to the letter ( clean, prepped surface). We apply conductive sealant over ground locations, fully cover that location and allow to cure.

Problem with ground washers is corrosion inhibits contact and washers attract some water, corrosive aspect when used which may result in corrosion. You can use a conductive grease to slow down water penetration. Other thing to consider is ground washers slip if not properly installed or improperly torqued which can lead to a everybody's favorite issue - ground problem. Scuffing helps if you like however, some type of protectant or sealant is advised whether scuffed or not.

If you do go with powder coat remember it is tough up until it is damaged and can then further crack. Ask the people who apply it how to manage cracks or damage and how to apply your grounds. They may have other suggestions.

I wish you luck and let us know how it turns out.
Old 01-15-2018, 01:22 AM   #21
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatherflash View Post
Sorry for taking so long to get back to you. Been rather busy. I would recommend bare surface on scuffed contacts with conductive sealant applied over locations. We use PR-2200 conductive sealant and have really good results with it. Stuff is expensive so may want to consider other options. Reason for recommendation is a) stuff has fantastic temperature range. We use it on equipment that goes from +120 F to -117 F in 1.5 hours and have never had a electrical or ground problem due to this sealant when applied. b) simply because it never gives us problems however, we follow the application guidelines to the letter ( clean, prepped surface). We apply conductive sealant over ground locations, fully cover that location and allow to cure.

Problem with ground washers is corrosion inhibits contact and washers attract some water, corrosive aspect when used which may result in corrosion. You can use a conductive grease to slow down water penetration. Other thing to consider is ground washers slip if not properly installed or improperly torqued which can lead to a everybody's favorite issue - ground problem. Scuffing helps if you like however, some type of protectant or sealant is advised whether scuffed or not.

If you do go with powder coat remember it is tough up until it is damaged and can then further crack. Ask the people who apply it how to manage cracks or damage and how to apply your grounds. They may have other suggestions.

I wish you luck and let us know how it turns out.
Awesome advice, thank you.