The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-31-2002, 12:00 PM   #1
Joachim
Carolina Cajun

Question Headlights

Anyone have instructions to re-wire the headlights through the ignition? That is, the headlights go off when the ignition switch is turned off. I did a search but didn't find this info, may not have used the right search term. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Joe
Concord, NC & Ponchatoula, LA
Joachim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2002, 02:11 PM   #2
devinfife

in my opinion its sorta useful to have access to the headlights when the engine is off. i would leave it the way it is and remember to turn them off when you leave the truck

69 c-10. turquoise. 350 motor with 400 trans. long fleet. headers and dual flowmaster exhaust. K & N air cleaner, aluminum wheels and radials, stereo system and a bed liner. Manual drums and manual steering.

Kickin it in Seattle, WA

p.s. i love my longbed. must be a phallic thing.
devinfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2002, 03:38 PM   #3
mikep
Used to have a truck

You just need a relay wired into the light circuit with the headlight main power as the switched leads and the ignition circuit as the trip. $10 for a 30 amp relay and a few feet of wire.
Old 08-31-2002, 04:05 PM   #4
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Are you wanting to totally disable your headlamps when the key is off, or are you just wanting the day time running lights?
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2002, 06:22 PM   #5
RON WOODGEARD
Resident Young Old Dude !

It could be done where you rewire the headlight switch through the ignition on only,with the use of a "relay" and still have the use of the light switch to turn them off with just in case you would want. (leave the engine running for any reason and not want the headlights on.. like waiting for your girlfriend to sneak out of the house while you're parked up the road) I've been married 33 years so I guess I don't need that one.. Or if I do I sure wouldn't tell you guys

And I'm quite sure with some thinking I could come up with a way to double switch it so you could have the headlights on even if the engine wasn't running. I've thought about hooking up my parking lights so they are always on when the ignition is.. Always did like that (still a KID at heart)

RON
RON WOODGEARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2002, 09:05 PM   #6
Joachim
Carolina Cajun

Smile

Thanks for the responses, here's the scoop: I am getting to "that" age and suffer from CRS (Can't Remember Stuff). In the last 10 days, I have left the headlights on. I drive a little rice burner (strictly for fuel economy) and the headlights are run through the ignition, that is, when the ignition is "off" the headlights go off. Saved my battery more than once.

My back up light switch in the steering column is broken. Spent $20 for a switch. Never got it to work, broke the nub on it too! They are wired to a toggle switch on the dash. When the ignition is off, they go off. So I thought it would be a good idea to do the same for the headlights.

I don't want to disable the dash switch, but maybe something like running the hot lead throught the ignition so that the switch only has power when the ingintion is on.

Again, thanks. I can follow specific instructions, but tend to get fuzzy when trying to put 2+2= something.

Joe
Old 08-31-2002, 09:24 PM   #7
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Instead of all this hassle, you could go to wall mart and get a head light alarm that plugs into your fuses for about 5 bucks. It will make such a bone ratling buzzing noise that you will make sure your lights are off before you even think of touching the key.
I know my buzzer has gone from car to car and has saved my poor old battery (which is way older than it should be) noumorouse times.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2002, 10:43 AM   #8
RON WOODGEARD

JOE,

I like ANDY's idea also,but if you still want to do it that way..

I would run a 12 gauge wire from the hot terminal just off of the battery, (put an inline 30 amp fuse in there) Run it under the dash close to the switch and hook it through a relay, the relay will be operated by the ignition ON ONLY wire.(can be found in the fusebox, it's in a little square all by itself,it has a wiring "LUG" sticking out) Then you hook the wire from the switch that was hot to the relay. ignition on wire HOT .
You will then have the ability to turn the headlights off when wanted but they will come on and off with the ignition.
Buy a relay that has the wiring diagram with it. (some don't)

I've had two MITSUBISHI 3000 GT's and they were the same way, I owned one for 3 years, the other 4 years and the headlights were never turned off!! I loved that feature. I live in the middle of nowhere where it's really good to keep your headlights on all of the time.

NOW YOU GOT ME THINKING!! hehehehe

RON
Old 09-01-2002, 01:30 PM   #9
Joachim
Carolina Cajun

Thumbs up

Good idea Longhornmail, hadn't thought of an alarm. Sounds (no pun intended) simple enough. I'll see what Wally-World has available tomorrow. Still want to further investigate the ignition pass through idea.

Ron, what about taking the power from the ignition switch instead of wherever it comes from now? Thus, if the ignition is off, no power/no lights; ignition on: power available and allowing the push/pull headlight switch to work. Would the ignition switch function as the "relay"? Just asking cuz I feel like I'm getting into the "fuzzy math" stuff. Plus, I'm a cajun and a little hard headed.

Joe
Old 09-01-2002, 01:45 PM   #10
mikep
Used to have a truck

You really dont want to run that much power through the ignition switch all the time. Thats why they make relays. Its so you dont burn wiring and switches up . Go down to the parts store and pick up a 30 amp fog light relay , a pack of female 1/4" spade terminals, and a small pack of 16 guage wire. It'll be $12 max. I'll walk you through hooking it up.
Old 09-02-2002, 01:08 AM   #11
RON WOODGEARD

JOE,

Going off of the fuse box "Ignition on only" would be the same thing as going to the ignition switch except you wouldn't have to poke the wires to find it.
And you will be able to still use the headlight PULL switch just as you do now.

If you want to do it PM me with your phone number and a convenient time to call and I'll call you and explain on the phone.

It's really not that hard.

RON
Old 09-04-2002, 10:18 AM   #12
Joachim
Carolina Cajun

OK - OK - OK

So I can't use the ignition as a simple toggle switch. I'm a cajun and a little hard headed.

Am off to Wally World et al to learn about relays. Ron: send me a PM as to exactly what relay to get. I'll respond early next week with additional details. Have some "must do" things to get done on my 66. Er, that is my grandson's 66. He got on my case over Labor Day Weekend, because I haven't worked on "His" truck lately. Hope to have them completed by weekend. Will be able to start light switch project next week.

Thanks to everyone for help and advice. That's what this place is all about.

Joe