The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-22-2013, 04:14 PM   #151
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: HG's thread of miscelaneous stuff

Couple more pics from Little Falls. A Ranchero in someones backyard...

And since winter is around the corner, might as well get into the spirit of it. How about a fish house. But not your ordinary fish house you pull out to your favorite frozen pond. This one drives itself in style.

Next morning I have to drive up to Motley and look at a few boilers. Gots ta pay the bills ya know. One of the prettiest areas of the state, IMHO is in the Lincoln lakes area, which is between Little Falls and Motley. Rolling wooded hills and this time of year the colors are popping. But I'm not out looking at the trees drop their leaves. Just north of Cushing I saw this parked along the road.

There's a couple of things that always capture my attention through the area though. First is this tower. Its got a walkway or viewing area up top and I can't think of any others like it in the state. I want to call it a fire watchers tower, but I don't think it is. It's one of those things though that you drive by and can't help but think of climbing up it. Even if you are of a mind that would never EVER do such a thing, when you see the ladder and the platform on top you're gonna think of being there and looking around.

The other thing in the area is a for sale lot along Hwy 10 at a towing shop. You might think that's pretty lame, and maybe your right, but I always see something there worth a look. This one was barely worth the look because of the extensive rust, but look I did anyway.

Ooooh, comes with a matching (sort of) trailer...

And it's right across from this place...

For all your boulder needs. You know, cuz everyone needs a boulder or 3.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 04:53 PM   #152
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

This little Saab Sonett III was also there, but hidden out back. I actually saw it last year and took pics of it then too. They were trying to sell it, not sure whats going on with it now. It sat outside for a long time. The floor is basically gone. But it's somewhat rare and I like the body shape/profile and thought briefly of using it for a future project. You're basically buying a shell and junking the rest.

And I forgot a few more pics from Little Falls. Pine Grove Park was fairly close to my house when I was a kid. It's got a small zoo, miles of trails through the woods, a playground. You know, a kids idea of paradise.

My great grandfather (never met him) worked with stone. At least that was what I was told once a long time ago. This buildings footing is the kind of thing he did. I have no idea if he was involved with this building, or the stone wall along the street that borders the park, but he did work on the stone wall that borders Camp Ripley, just north of Little Falls. Another thing about this building was that when it was open and you could go inside, there were all kinds of oddities on display. Like a 2 headed calf head. That's the 1 that I can still remember. I wonder if it's still there?

One last shot of the trip. This is on a hill NE of Paynesville overlooking some farmland, some woods, a small stream through those woods and it's just some beautiful country as the sun was setting...

And this was my 5000th post. Good for me. At least it wasn't something stupid.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:02 PM   #153
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

Hg,,always interesting to follow your adventures in photos .. "IF" you need an excuse to climb the tower you took the photo of ..heres a reason ..

I say it's 106' 8'' tall from the ground to the platform at the top..there will be other guess's I would guess and so you need to climb it taking a tape measure with you and measure it on the way back down.. lol if not ,,keep up the photos anyway ..
Old 10-22-2013, 05:06 PM   #154
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPAPA View Post
Hg,,always interesting to follow your adventures in photos .. "IF" you need an excuse to climb the tower you took the photo of ..heres a reason ..

I say it's 106' 8'' tall from the ground to the platform at the top..there will be other guess's I would guess and so you need to climb it taking a tape measure with you and measure it on the way back down.. lol if not ,,keep up the photos anyway ..
Only problem with climbing the tower is it's hard to post in the thread when ya need bail...

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 05:38 PM   #155
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Some really cool stiff on here!
TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 05:43 PM   #156
TennesseeZ
Countdown Survivor

Quote:

My guess: 100' 4 7/16"

A MAN OF HONOR DOES NOT LIE, CHEAT, OR STEAL, NOR TOLERATE THOSE WHO DO.

Gettin' old ain't for sissies.
TennesseeZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:57 PM   #157
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:

I've got a couple 100' tape measures I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 View Post
Only problem with climbing the tower is it's hard to post in the thread when ya need bail...
I can be sneaky. Besides, I'm a boiler inspector. I can go anywhere with my clipboard, flashlight and hard hat. And that is NOT a joke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.J. MCCAULEY View Post
Some really cool stiff on here!
Thanks for looking and commenting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeZ View Post
My guess: 100' 4 7/16"
Not that I'm ascared to climb it, but it's gonna take way more than 2 guesses to get me to drive 3 hours 1 way and climb it to find out.

Happy Halloween everyone!

Old 10-23-2013, 02:14 AM   #158
prairewolf

... cool thread and pictures. ...you live a good life
Attached Images

If you can read this tell a Teacher to thank a Truck Driver.

Last edited by prairewolf; 10-23-2013 at 02:40 AM. Reason: it needed it
prairewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 01:54 AM   #159
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Looking through the viewport to check the burner flame. The outermost ring is the end of the refractory tube you look through to see the flame. The bright center is the core of the flame but it doesn't photograph well. Its actually mostly blue and is pushing towards the camera about 8-10'. The ring just around the bright center is the burner throat refractory and is about 12-14' away from the camera.

I have a bunch of stuff to upload and tell my story. But it's late, so I'm just gonna share a couple things for now. Saw this in Waterloo, IA.

Cuz 'Murica...

I texted that to a friend of mine. He asked "wtf kind of rednecks do you have there?" My reply, "The best rednecks in the world!"

Across the street from that was a junkyard...

I stopped in, they dont have any cool old stuff, but behind the shop I did see this...

In this shot it reminds me of a VW bus...

Bunch more this weekend. Good night.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:01 AM   #160
Indian113

Thanks for taking us on a photo trip with you! Your thread is one of the most interesting ones on the forum. Drive safe and thanks again Ray
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 09:34 AM   #161
Ta2Don

The mini van on the 4WD frame reminded me of an 80's Jaquar on a simlar set-up I spotted this past week... Will get a pic soon to share.
As for your "cuz Murica" comment
My son uses that reply to stuff I send him...
Thanx again for sharing your observations throughout your travels!
Proverbs 27:17
US Air Force Retarded errr Retired
My '65 Stepper Build:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=533920
My '60 Rusty Patina Build:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...66#post7402266
My '72 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...59#post7204359 SOLD
Ta2Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:09 AM   #162
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

These are also from Waterloo, on the same street as the others actually. Independence St I think. Anyway, One place had a couple interesting things out front. Didn't have for sale signs on them but were set up like they were for sale. First the Ford Falcon...

and I really liked this little trailer. It looked like it was only about 5' long. Would pull good behind my jimmy...

Closer to downtown on the same street was a used car lot. This Caddy kinda stuck out from the rest of the crap on the lot...

I thought the light for the rear plate was a pretty sweet set up.

That was it for Thursdays finds. Here is the 1st pic from fridays. It's obviously an eye catcher. But what I stumbled into a few minutes later most of you won't believe. Still need to upload those pics so here is the teaser...

49 pics to come. All from one location. It's freakin AWESOME!
Old 10-26-2013, 12:15 PM   #163
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

The redneck limo was in front of a place called Gaines Auto Salvage in Glenville, MN. I had been within about 5 miles of the place before but had never taken this road before. I'm a firm believer in taking the road less traveled whenever I can. I parked by a Frazer. Never heard of it? Me either. But it's pretty slick looking and I love the front bumper.

Oh, and there is a short row of them along the dirt road that goes east from the yard.

I go into the office and ask if they have any 60's to 70's stuff. They say "Sure, whatcha lookin for?" 67-72 Chevy truck stuff of course. He says "We probably got 4 or 5 out there."

We go outside and here is my first view of the yard...

From this vantage I can spot about half a dozen 67-72 chevy trucks and he's telling me where others are at that are hidden behind things. And my mouth is hanging open. He didn't seem surprised. I'm spotting all kinds of things. He just tells me I can go look at anything, its a U-pull it or I can take pictures, whatever. I get my toolbag out of the trunk (always keep it with me) and start wandering the yard. You get to go with me. I can't name all the cars but I've never been in a yard with this much 30's to 50's stuff in my life. Before you all get wet and gooey inside and start making travel plans with your truck and trailer, here's fair warning. This is a MN junkyard and this stuff has been sitting in the weather, the weeds and grass for decades and after they had driven the salted highways we have here very winter. You may find what your looking for if you need 40's car parts but there will be rust and dents. With that said, it's an impressive vista of old iron that I doubt you can find in very many places anymore. Its astonishing really and I'm so glad I stopped..

Snaggletooth...

Love the gauge set up in here...

Weather eye knob?

Rambler American dash is cool as hell...

Old 10-26-2013, 12:31 PM   #164
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

A 69 Chevy truck really stood out to me personally. It is basically the same rare color combo I used on my own, turquoise/turquoise. Too bad it was so picked over.

Right down to the seat cover.

Bird home...

Another Jeep FC cab...

Hmmm, 71 Chevelle

More stuff...

Rustang section...

More...

Back to a short focus on Chevy/GMC trucks...

And last, but definitely not least. 57 Chevy on the hill overlooking the place...

It was fun strolling through history but I had an appointment I was already late for. I will definitely be back here someday.

Last edited by hgs_notes; 10-26-2013 at 04:13 PM.
Old 10-26-2013, 02:07 PM   #165
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Thanks for taking us there. That plqce is awesome and I have heard of Frazers before.

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 02:40 PM   #166
Ta2Don

Those Frazers are Sweet! I agree about the front bumper...
BTW the red Chevelle is a 71... Same front end as my Elky!!!

I could spend hours there... Thanks for all the pics, AWESOME!
Old 10-26-2013, 07:12 PM   #167

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaiser_Motors
My mom drove a Kaiser so here is Wikipedia take on them.
Old 10-26-2013, 07:15 PM   #168
meatwagon83

that yard looks like a local one my dad would take us to when we were kids, now i take my son there, owner says we wont crush anything!

this place lots of neat stuff, things from the 20s to the 70s lots of air force vehicles from the 40s to the 70s, i love going to this place!

there is about 30 of these guys there

how about a air force milk truck (i think)

Old 10-26-2013, 08:06 PM   #169
GOPAPA

Well ""I think that this car is cool"""

,,LOL,,,, of course I had one couple years back ,,about the same year,, is it okay to post a car in your posting if you had or have one like it? thx I just knew you wouldn't mind,, thx for getting this photo for me..

Old 10-26-2013, 10:44 PM   #170
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 463 View Post
Thanks for the link, it brought back some old memories. Dad owned a Henry J when I was very young. When I'd act up, he'd turn around and give me a swat, but the Henry J had no parcel shelf so I'd just pop over the seatback into the trunk. If he really wanted to get me, he'd have to stop the car and go open the trunklid. Of course then I'd hop back into the rear seat. He always caught me eventually though.....

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 01:02 AM   #171
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 View Post
Thanks for taking us there. That plqce is awesome and I have heard of Frazers before.
No problem. I've had a good time sharing it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ta2Don View Post
Those Frazers are Sweet! I agree about the front bumper...
BTW the red Chevelle is a 71... Same front end as my Elky!!!
I could spend hours there... Thanks for all the pics, AWESOME!
I updated my post to reflect that. Thanks. I spent 1-1/2 hrs there and barely had time to walk through it and take the pics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 463 View Post
I had heard of Kaisers before, and Willys-Overland of course, but the Frazer I just don't ever recall hearing. Thanks for the link.
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatwagon83 View Post
that yard looks like a local one my dad would take us to when we were kids, now i take my son there, owner says we wont crush anything!
That's excellent. Thanks for sharing. I know there are more places out there like this.
Quote:
Well ""I think that this car is cool"""

,,LOL,,,, of course I had one couple years back ,,about the same year,, is it okay to post a car in your posting if you had or have one like it? thx I just knew you wouldn't mind,, thx for getting this photo for me..
Sweet! I saw one in a junkyard not far from here last year. It was pretty solid and I considered hauling it home for a project. But I needed to finish what I was already working on so it was a lost opportunity. Next time I was there it was gone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocker View Post
Thanks for the link, it brought back some old memories. Dad owned a Henry J when I was very young. When I'd act up, he'd turn around and give me a swat, but the Henry J had no parcel shelf so I'd just pop over the seatback into the trunk. If he really wanted to get me, he'd have to stop the car and go open the trunklid. Of course then I'd hop back into the rear seat. He always caught me eventually though.....
Great story! Congratulations! You survived a lack of seat belts, child seats, and corporal punishment and lived to tell about it. Now I suppose you have a story of derring-do riding a bike without a helmet and riding in the back of a pickup truck.

If anyone who is following along on my ride has a story or pictures that is sparked from my posts, please feel free to share them here. Reading about truck project progress and getting/sharing info on how to do this or that is all great, but I would rather get to know the people behind the steering wheel.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:50 AM   #172
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgs_notes View Post
Great story! Congratulations! You survived a lack of seat belts, child seats, and corporal punishment and lived to tell about it. Now I suppose you have a story of derring-do riding a bike without a helmet and riding in the back of a pickup truck.
Well, Dad never owned a truck, but I do have a chipped front tooth from a faceplant off my bicycle, long before bike helmets existed. Too much speed + loose gravel....

And I survived the first small Hondas (and larger bikes later) without the benefit of helmets. Safety issues aside, I enjoyed the freedom of wind in the hair. I was wearing a skid lid the first time I did the ton on a Bonneville on a Kansas country road, though.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:40 PM   #173
Ta2Don

According to Wikipedia, the Weather Eye Knob was a type of HVAC setup on Nash automobiles…

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weather_Eye

Just had to look it up...
Old 10-27-2013, 11:19 PM   #174
GOPAPA

I have a story about the Kaizers..

I bought a house and small acreage from this ol man many years ago (1968)and to buy it I had to buy along with it two old Kaisers .. one ran ,smoked ,but ran and the other was made into a pickup by cutting the back body off .. My deed showed a load of fence post, chain hoist, cement mixer,and something else I forget ,.and these Kaisers ..
But , young I was and I wanted to clean up the place soon as possible and therefore got the wrecking yard guy "Bob Mad Man Munson " to come haul them off to the junk yard..

The one I had that ran was light blue in color ,,with over drive ..and I actually drove it once up the road and back and that was it.. at that time it wasn't even a collector ..

These reminded me of it .. that's my story about my two old Kaisers

Old 10-28-2013, 08:19 AM   #175
Low Elco

Very much enjoying this. Please continue.
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote