The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

View Poll Results: Would you be interested in these custom door panels?
I'd buy'em 11 42.31%
Nah, no thanks 15 57.69%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-13-2018, 09:26 PM   #1
TXBoudy

Custom Door Panels. Interest?

My project has been on hold for 18 months until I get a new shop but I'm going stir crazy so I'm getting back to work. I decided to start working on my door panels during the winter. After tons of research I came to the conclusions that OEM door panels resemble ass, TMI panels while reasonably priced would require expensive customization to fit my needs, and finally Fesler's design is similar across 3 or 4 different vehicles. Nothing looked really good and matched the styling of our trucks. Sooo...

I designed my own by taking cues from the dash and fabrication will start in the coming weeks. The point of this post is to gauge if there is some interest in these. If I can move 10 to 12 sets within a reasonable time then it's worth the effort to pull molds from the first set and pass on a few sets at a fair price. Target price would be to come in equal to or less than others mentioned. They would ship in white gel-coat, ready for upholstery.

No deposit, no commitments, just a few "I'd buy'em" and I'll dive right in and get started. Otherwise, I'll just build me some door panels over the winter. Thanks for taking the time to read.
Attached Images

Project "Deplorable"

Door Panel Build
TXBoudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 10:54 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Custom Door Panels. Interest?

-
Just a heads up, you have to be at least a "Premium" member to sell parts on the board. If you go into full scale production and sell a bunch of them you will have to become a "High Octane" member. I would go ahead and get a Premium membership if I were you before going any farther. If you click on the word "Subscribe" in the menu bar above it will explain the different membership options....

Thanks,
LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 11:09 PM   #3
TXBoudy

Done, thanks for the heads up.

Boudy

Project "Deplorable"

Door Panel Build
Old 10-14-2018, 06:35 AM   #4
74baggedbug

Nice, can’t wait to see actual pics!!
74baggedbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 08:46 AM   #5
HO455
Post Whore

It appears that your panel would require relocating the door handle and components lower in the door. Is that correct?
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 10:06 AM   #6
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

I’m interested
1971 C10 Stepside. LSx 6.0 with BTR Stage IV, Speed Engineering Headers, 4L80e transmission w/3200 Circle-D Stall. 3.73. Posi. Purchased this truck when I was 17. I started the rebuild (or take apart) in 1993. I have drug it around all over the country in pieces. Finally back on the road in 2021.

"I can't complain, but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far."
1971Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 11:14 AM   #7
Red71gmc

As mentioned above, I would not want to move the door or window levers. If they can be in stock locations, then yes.

I agree that the custom aftermarket don't do it for me either. Although they are very nice, they don't match the dash. Your exactly right.

I have high interest and would like to see a set installed. Good luck and go for it.
Red71gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 01:27 PM   #8
TXBoudy

Nothing gets by you guys... Lol. Yes, the panels will accommodate the OEM location for door release, window crank, and pull handle. These initial drawings are not to exact scale.

Project "Deplorable"

Door Panel Build
Old 10-14-2018, 01:37 PM   #9
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Two things ... First I think your design looks nice, I hope this endeavor works out for you and your buyers.

Second I believe there are a whole lot of us out here that actually really like the look of the stock door panels on all of the 67-72 truck models. Never occurred to me that they “looked like ass” at all. Not sure what happened to my taste along the way?
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 02:14 PM   #10
TXBoudy

Thanks for the kind words. While I don't expect these to be for everyone, maybe a reference to ass is unfair. They're fine for a stock appearance but don't lend to customization for a higher end interior feel.

Boudy

Project "Deplorable"

Door Panel Build

Last edited by TXBoudy; 10-14-2018 at 04:04 PM.
Old 10-15-2018, 03:17 PM   #11
TXBoudy

Design changes based on input. I located the trim ring toward the rear area of the door to provide plenty of room for a 6.5" driver in the lower front area. And my window cranks are actually power window switches so they could be located pretty much anywhere that looked best. In this rendering I centered the trim ring on the panel and relocated the handles closer to the OEM orientation. Once I get working a plug, I may have to allow a recess for the window crank to rotate.
Attached Images

Project "Deplorable"

Door Panel Build
Old 10-15-2018, 03:25 PM   #12
cypressbog
Go Pack Go!

I would run without door panels before going with some kinda aftermarket @ss looking stuff.
cypressbog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 03:39 PM   #13
TXBoudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypressbog View Post
I would run without door panels before going with some kinda aftermarket @ss looking stuff.
Fair enough, thanks for your input.

Project "Deplorable"

Door Panel Build
Old 10-15-2018, 11:41 PM   #14
zicc1835

highly interested in one of those 10 to 12 sets...... pictures when you get there ,,,im ready for some custom in my interior and i like where your going
zicc1835 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 12:32 PM   #15
TXBoudy

Messing around with some upholstery ideas.
Attached Images

Project "Deplorable"

Door Panel Build
Old 10-17-2018, 12:42 PM   #16
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

Wow! We live in such a sensitive world. Design looks great. Keep me posted on the progress.

Will they be pre-drilled for the handles? May be good to not drill them for the window handle in case someone is not using that set up?? I plan to do what you are, but just thinking about other guys.
1971 C10 Stepside. LSx 6.0 with BTR Stage IV, Speed Engineering Headers, 4L80e transmission w/3200 Circle-D Stall. 3.73. Posi. Purchased this truck when I was 17. I started the rebuild (or take apart) in 1993. I have drug it around all over the country in pieces. Finally back on the road in 2021.

"I can't complain, but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far."
1971Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 01:05 PM   #17
TXBoudy

Lol...Yes we do. I will likely pre-cut the grab handle bracket slot as I plan to use the OEM bracket. Will probably also drill the door release handle hole as I can't imagine the need to relocate that. The window crank as you noted is the one requiring some thought. Leaving it in the factory location may require a recess to accommodate rotation. Once I get in the shop next week to start fabrication I plan to lower the overall profile of the panel to minimize or eliminate the need for a recess while maintaining styling contours. My original plans had a higher profile to accommodate air space requirements of speakers that were to be sealed, no other reason it needed to be so thick. If I can do it without a recess then I'll probably dimple the panel from the rear so that a guy can drill his own window crank hole or not.

I'm kinda changing my truck's panels to a more generic panel so that it will appeal to more people without me having to make multiple molds.

Boudy

Project "Deplorable"

Door Panel Build
Old 10-17-2018, 03:50 PM   #18
Grumpy old man

interesting , have you decided how to finish the top edge ? also how far off the door will the panel be and still clear the side of the seat ? the original doors have 2 levels the deeper being where the original door panels would sit and to cover the entire panel are you going to float over the inset? how would they be attached ? visible screws ? Do you have a commercial sewing machine to make the covers or just selling the forms ? Are you planning on fiberglass or vacuum forming the panels ? Price? they look labor intensive to build a short run ,keep going looks like a fun project .

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 06:41 PM   #19
SC1969c10

the stock door panels don’t completely look like @ss. But a square chunk with 2 screws is pretty crappy as an interior door handle and arm rest. I love these trucks, but a little update wont hurt. Everyone has their opinions, but i think this guy said if your interested let me know, dont get all bent out of shape now. Ha (thats all meant lightly for any sensitive readers)

But for my 2 cents, they seem a little much, busy if you will.
Posted via Mobile Device
SC1969c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 06:49 PM   #20
TXBoudy

The top end will roll over and stop at the window scraper. It'll be more trouble thinning it down and dealing with the lock hole but I feel it's worth the trade-off in looks.

Since this is to be a full sized panel, the OEM recess will have to be floated over.

Mounting will be accomplished with door panel clips and screws on the pull handle so no screws or hardware will be seen. To ensure a good fit I'll likely add clips along the top and bottom and include a template to drill the matching holes.

Panels will be shipped in white gel-coat, ready for upholstery, and will be laid-up by hand. If I get to having too much fun with it then I may run some carbon fiber panels which would have to be vacuum bagged but likely too expensive. Panels run $600 from both Fesler and TMI. Fesler comes in gel-coat while TMI is upholstered. My goal is to sell these for $600 a pair provided I can keep all materials and consumables under $300. You are correct, I'm expecting 10 hrs of labor per set not including plug/mold build time.

Project "Deplorable"

Door Panel Build
Old 10-20-2018, 02:30 PM   #21
HO455
Post Whore

Talking Re: Custom Door Panels. Interest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC1969c10 View Post
the stock door panels don’t completely look like @ss. But a square chunk with 2 screws is pretty crappy as an interior door handle and arm rest. I love these trucks, but a little update wont hurt. Everyone has their opinions, but i think this guy said if your interested let me know, dont get all bent out of shape now. Ha (thats all meant lightly for any sensitive readers)

But for my 2 cents, they seem a little much, busy if you will.
Posted via Mobile Device
I went full custom on my Burban with the 50's vintage arm rests! No square chunks for me!
Attached Images

If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 05:20 PM   #22
SC1969c10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
I went full custom on my Burban with the 50's vintage arm rests! No square chunks for me!
I like that!
Posted via Mobile Device
SC1969c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 05:22 PM   #23
TXBoudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc1969c10 View Post
i like that!
posted via mobile device
+1

Project "Deplorable"

Door Panel Build
Old 10-20-2018, 08:32 PM   #24
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
Ive always liked those arm rests. A super nice factory design. Not underwhelming or overwhelming. Maybe incorporate something like them in to your custom panels?
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 09:31 PM   #25
TXBoudy

Great choice! I like them and will order a set to investigate integration into the panels.

http://www.lmctruck.com/features/ca/CADAA.htm
Attached Images

Project "Deplorable"

Door Panel Build