The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-16-2018, 05:10 PM   #1
hewittca

C-notch with centered rear

Hi guys. I'm debating on if I should build my own notch or if an off the shelf one would work. I was hoping someone would have some insight or experience with a standard c-notch to answer these questions.

1. My truck will have a total rear drop of about 7" and I was thinking about shifting the rearend 1" back to center the wheels in the wheel opening. I'm wondering if I were to go with a standard c-notch, would there be enough room in the notch to account for this?

2. My truck will be static and I am trying to get the ride height to a very specific setup, so I'm trying to account for every variable. I noticed all the standard notches have a piece that extends under the spring mounting location. It looks like this would add about 1/4" to the height of the truck. Does anyone know why this piece is necessary and if this has practically changed the ride height at all?

Here's the CPP notch which is pretty much what they all look like. Thanks for any help!

-
C10 Concept/Development Photos: Master Thread
hewittca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 08:21 AM   #2
hewittca

Re: C-notch with centered rear

Well I answered question two after just getting under the truck and looking at things a little closer. There’s already a spring mount plate under the spring that gets removed and replaced by the extension on the notch, so no real effect on ride height.

I’m still thinking about question one though. I wonder if there’s a good way to widen the notch in the standard bolt in notch to make room for moving the rearend back 1”.
-
Old 01-17-2018, 11:53 AM   #3
BossHogg69
motor exploder

I'm using that same CPP notch, 7.5" rear static drop (6" spring, 1.5" blocks) with a PB Fab adjustable trailing arm cross member. I moved the axle back roughly 1", and everything still lines up fine in the notch.

I don't have any pics with the suspension fully compressed against the bump stop. I changed from the small puck style bump stops that came with the CPP notch to a taller Prothane bump stop to keep the rear housing from hitting the bottom of the wood bed.
Attached Images

1969 Chevy CST/10 stepside, DART Big M/TREMEC Magnum Extreme/3.73's w/Detroit Truetrac
1965 Chevy Bel Air Wagon (daily driver), 327/TH350,10 bolt w/3.08's
1961 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe, ZZ454/M21/9" rear w/3.50's & Detroit Truetrac
2005 GMC 1500 ccsb 2wd, 6.0L/4L65e/3.73 G80
2006 GMC 2500HD ccsb 4x4, DMax LBZ/Allison 6spd/4.56's w/Detroit TrueTrac

Use the SEARCH function on this forum - it is your friend!!
BossHogg69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 12:15 PM   #4
Rod Run

If you are going to do your own fabrication, there is no reason to build an entire notch type assembly. Just box and cut a notch in your frame, weld it up and be done.

That would actually be much easier and quicker than trying to duplicate one of the notches on the market and your frame would be stronger too
Old 01-17-2018, 01:37 PM   #5
hewittca

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossHogg69 View Post
I'm using that same CPP notch, 7.5" rear static drop (6" spring, 1.5" blocks) with a PB Fab adjustable trailing arm cross member. I moved the axle back roughly 1", and everything still lines up fine in the notch.

I don't have any pics with the suspension fully compressed against the bump stop. I changed from the small puck style bump stops that came with the CPP notch to a taller Prothane bump stop to keep the rear housing from hitting the bottom of the wood bed.
Perfect, that’s exactly what I was looking for. I think I’ll go this route.
-