The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board > 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-08-2018, 02:49 PM   #1
The1960APE

2wd Front end decisions... IFS or what????

This is my first Blazer/Jimmy project,
We have been slow starting due to buttoning up the 61 Apache!
The Jimmy is a 72, started life as a 4wd, the previous owner converted the front, I believe it is a 73 and up 2wd K-member, it already has lower tubular arms, I bought a new set of upper tubulars. The plan is to modify control arms to accept coil overs and 4 link the rear.
My question to those of you that are experienced is: Are we on the right track? Should we seek a different K member? Buying a IFS or drop member isn't out of the question but is it really worth the 3-4K? I am not going to be using air ride, I do want it to be lowered to the point that a 20" wheel lip is very close to the fender lip but no lower. I have drop new 2.5 drop spindles that came with the Bear Brake kit, we considered notching the frame up front a bit to raise the K-member that we have.
Any advice is greatly appreciated!
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=679735
The1960APE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 04:04 PM   #2
hemi43

Re: 2wd Front end decisions... IFS or what????

I've used aftermarket IFS in the past (TCI) and don't like them at all. The main problem is that the geometry is based on a Mustang 2. This might be great for a Mustang 2, but there's too many things compromised when adapting these to different vehicles. Things like Ackermann and KPI cannot be changed because it's set into the front end, and the numbers are no where near what you want in a truck. Unless the front suspension will be seen like in a fenderless hotrod, I would use something from a late model vehicle. Crown Vic front ends are a popular choice as well as a few others.

If it was me, I would try and use as much of the front end off of a 67-72 2wd truck and ditch the steering box. A rack and pinion and big brakes would be the first thing I'd be looking at.
hemi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 09:01 PM   #3
viking427

Re: 2wd Front end decisions... IFS or what????

.."A rack and pinion and big brakes would be the first thing I'd be looking at"..

Agree. a good set of shocks, tires, and sway bars will transform the truck.
viking427 is offline   Reply With Quote