The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-20-2016, 11:10 AM   #1
HuntinNut

which kit is better between the two ?

http://m.ebay.com/itm/1947-1954-Chev...961?nav=SEARCH

http://m.ebay.com/itm/HEIDTS-1947-48....c100408.m2460

Is there a 500 diffrence in the two kits ??
HuntinNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 11:32 AM   #2
_Ogre

Re: which kit is better between the two ?

one word difference: support

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 12:06 PM   #3
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Heidts is a better kit, it has the sway bar included, you can't beat their support. The other company doesn't have support except to tell you its your fault it doesn't work.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 12:52 PM   #4
Jemezcrusher

I think the second link is the one I got. Has Heidt's crossmember, but the other components are not heidt's. I am happy with mine, and actually paid a couple hundred more 4-5 months ago
Jemezcrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 01:25 PM   #5
darrenkrumvieda

I would rather go the corvette C4 route. I am currently getting ready to convert my 55.2 GMC. We also have a 50 Chevy that will be getting the same treatment soon. I bought a complete front and rear C4 suspension for $500 complete. flatout-engineering has everything needed and would be around the same price total plus you get aluminum control arms etc. Just my $.02.
darrenkrumvieda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 04:21 PM   #6
dsraven

research MII tech before going in so you know how it should look and why. heidts used to have an article on it. shows differences of racks and tie rod pivt points and how these can affect steering, bump steering etc
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 01:30 AM   #7
tmoble

heidts includes the frame boxing plates. Heidts will have a better rebuilt power rack. Heidts kit will have better parts everywhere. They have an actual reputation to protect.

That ebay vendor? he's just shoveling the stuff out of the shipping container from china and into the UPS truck as fast as he can. Need help? somebody there will read the instructions in broken English. If you can get anybody on the phone at all.
tmoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 01:51 AM   #8
Jesse Z
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmoble View Post
heidts They have an actual reputation to protect.
And a lot of advertising and overhead to support, which you are paying for.

Quote:
That ebay vendor? he's just shoveling the stuff out of the shipping container from china and into the UPS truck as fast as he can. Need help? somebody there will read the instructions in broken English. If you can get anybody on the phone at all.
At almost 68,000 sales over 8 years time and 99.2% feedback score, this Ebay seller is no fly by night. For sales that high, his feedback is almost inconceivably good - as good as Summit Racing! To get that level of customer satisfaction, he absolutely must be selling quality products and dealing with any problems in a timely manner to make the customer happy. This guy is legit, and if the photos are accurate, his A-arms are powder coated as well. I would have no hesitation buying the less expensive setup and putting the $500 saved to good use on other parts for my truck.

Last edited by Jesse Z; 10-21-2016 at 02:09 AM.
Jesse Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 02:22 AM   #9
Jesse Z
Account Suspended

Ha ha, evidently I'm too naive and trusting! I found these threads on another automotive forum titled "Screwed by Gearhead Enterprises" and "Gearhead Enterprises - Beware!" I'm guessing these fellers are the some of the .8% who gave negative feedback!

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/t...son-ia.671822/

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/t...beware.268616/

Last edited by Jesse Z; 10-21-2016 at 02:39 AM.
Jesse Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 09:55 AM   #10
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Gearhead operates under many different names, when feed back gets to high they spin up another ebay account.
Gearheadworld is only a year old, others are gonefishing69, rodpartsdealer, Gearhead Enterprises

They sell mostly the same parts as others usually lower cost but its the beyond bad customer service that people complain about, missing parts, no support what so ever. I believe the MII kits are partly Hiedts and partly their own private label items making it impossible to replace a part unless you get it from them.

I have purchased from them with good results but only minor items and nothing complicated like an MII. Those I go to the MFG and pay the extra for piece of mind
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 10:51 PM   #11
jweb

Even the second kit isn't sold by Heidt's and it includes some off brand parts. It looks like a good kit, my neighbor ordered the same one a few months ago. The parts showed up at different times and shipped from a few different places. He hasn't put it in yet, So I don't know of any issues.

I definitely wouldn't buy the first one. I got tubular A arms from them and their customer service was worthless. They couldn't tell me what type of shocks to buy, since they didn't just use a Mustang II style shock. Also, ended up throwing them in the scrap metal pile after I couldn't ever get my alignment right.
jweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 01:16 AM   #12
dsraven

Eh, huntinnut, check your private messages.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 01:37 PM   #13
HuntinNut

Well I bit the bullet Sat eve and ordered the kit with the Heidtz crossmember so I guess we'll see how it pans out. Guy called this morning first thing to discuss a few choices on the kit and said it'd be out today..
HuntinNut is offline   Reply With Quote