The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-09-2011, 09:31 PM   #1
85/05Silverado

street/strip suspension

alright guys i wanna know what would be the best suspension set up for my 85 shorty, mostly steet driven but once i get a stronger transmission illl be making a few trips down the track, now the truck has a "slight" traction issiue on the street, im getting some 18" boss 338's put on in a few weeks with some drag radials, so i want to lower the truck some more just trying to get your guys's opinion and what works what doesnt, whats pricey whats expensive etc etc

thanks for your time
1985 Chevrolet C10 Silverado SWB-395 Stroker 490hp,700R4 12 bolt 3:73 posi,inferno red crystal pearl coat with black ralleystripes,custom leather seats, carbon fiber gauges
2005 silverado 1500 ecsb, Z71, 33x12.5 dick cepek
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Kearney
Stephen
85/05Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:25 PM   #2
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Re: street/strip suspension

Probably the best bang for the buck is CalTrac bars.Give Capt Kaos a shout for more details
Posted via Mobile Device
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 07:42 AM   #3
PGSigns

I have seen lots of stuff that have problems on the street not have any problems at the track. If you go to drag radials they will bite if the track is prepped. You will need something to control the spring wrap up and any traction bar will work and cal tracs are as good as they come. If the starting line is good and there is a weak link in your truck it will be found. Just a suggestion. when you go to the track drive around the water box and back up to the water. You just need to be in it about a foot to give you a little to help break the tire loose to start the burn out. This keeps any water from getting on your inner fenders and dripping back down on the tire when you pull up to the line.
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:33 AM   #4
85/05Silverado

cool thanks guys, it does have a the cheaper traction bars on it now would caltracs work alot better than them? let say later on if i plan to put bags, and a 4 link or somehing of that sort on it, is that setup any good on the track

thanks again
1985 Chevrolet C10 Silverado SWB-395 Stroker 490hp,700R4 12 bolt 3:73 posi,inferno red crystal pearl coat with black ralleystripes,custom leather seats, carbon fiber gauges
Stephen
Old 02-10-2011, 10:16 AM   #5
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

If your going to run a 4 link, just do it. Why spend your money twice?

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 01:01 PM   #6
PGSigns

Couple of things to think about. One what will be the main function of the truck. Street driver with a part time drag or a good drag racer with a part time street function. The drag radial guys have no problem running scary fast on leaf springs. A four link can make a real good rear suspension but the race four links don't make that good of a street setup. Most of the nice riding street four links that work well on a dropped truck may give you problems hooking the truck based on the way they are put in and what the instant center ends up being. Trucks have some issues with working on the drag strip due to the weight split and this problem can be helped with shocks and the ability to be able to adjust the dampening on them. If you can post some info about the amount of power the motor makes, the cam that is in it and what has been done with the trans and converter I may be able to help with getting it down the track. Been drag racing for 35 years and have a dragster now that runs 7.40.
Jimmy
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
Old 02-10-2011, 09:56 PM   #7
85/05Silverado

im just trying to see the best options, it is mainly a street truck, i do plan to lower it more once i have a good set of whees n tires on it, so can i make a bagged 4 link work on the strip? basically im looking for the best of both worlds, between ride quaility, and making the truck hook/work when i need it to sorry for any confusion

the motor makes 490 hp at 6800 rpm, ill have to find the cam specs , and i havntgot the trans for it yet but it will be a performabuilt level 2 700r4

thanks again
Stephen
Old 02-11-2011, 07:34 AM   #8
PGSigns

With out knowing what the configuration of the 4 link is going to be it is hard to tell. Most of what I see for the bag kits is a parallel four bar setup and they will not do well for the strip. A good race four link will not do well with ride height changes like the other 4 link does. Your going to need a four link with adjustable bars in it and the ability to adjust the location of the front of the bars to be able to set the instant center. Springs and cal tracts would be the best cross over for the duel duty. You may want to look at having a 200R4 done for 500 HP. They will hold more power than the 700 and the best choice for an OD trans for lots of power would be the 460LE. The choice of the converter is the most important thing to getting it to work. An off the shelf converter from a parts store is the worst thing you can use. I use Hughes converters and if you call them or any of the race converter builders they can put you together one that will take the power and work with the tuck for what you want to do. As you are planning this build anything you can do to take weight off the front of the truck will help. Get two sets of wheels one just for the track so you can put a set of tires on the front that are nice and light. Also this allows you to adjust the tire height to get the reaction time down or up depending how the truck leaves the line and how you see the bulb. Shocks can not be over looked and a set if adjustable drag shocks will do wonders for the hook. Being able to but bite in or take it out depending on the track or the setup is a must.
Jimmy
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
Old 05-04-2011, 08:35 PM   #9
Notch1988

Bringing up an older thread but I found it while searching.
I too am curious as to what suspension setup to run. I'm going to be swapping to an LS motor that should be in the 350-400rwhp range, will be running a 150hp nitrous setup, 3800 stall yank converter... your average fun cruiser. The problem is I want to drag frame too with an air ride setup.
I'm looking more for a cruising setup that can handle the power without wheel hop, not for the best 60'.
As well, does the NHRA/IHRA allow full airbag suspension vehicles down the track? Just wondering if there's anything in the rule books against them. Forgot to add it's a '66 short box.

Last edited by Notch1988; 05-04-2011 at 08:37 PM.
Notch1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 03:48 AM   #10
BIG KRIS

Thought i was the only one,gotta suscribe to this.

83 Custom Deluxe Almond on Almond
85 Silverado White on Red/Now Chevy LeMans Blue
Rendering in Truckin magazine vol 36 no. 11,2010
BIG KRIS is offline   Reply With Quote