The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-06-2005, 03:35 PM   #1
51GMC

Setting Points 51 6cyl

What is the easiest way to set the points on a 51? I've 5 different ways from 5 different people. Anyone have the best way? Please let me know. I got this truck from my grandfather and it's in very nice condition, just been sitting for awhile and I'd like to get it running. Any help would be appreciated.
51GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 03:24 PM   #2
NeCrOmAnCeR

A rough estimate is to use a spark plug box, or a match book. The exact way involves a dwell meter.
NeCrOmAnCeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 06:14 PM   #3
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

5 ways to set your points? Sounds like 50 ways to leave your lover! (an old Paul Simon song)

Best advice comes from the shop manual. This is from a 55, but the year doesn't matter, they were all the same adjustment. http://chevy.tocmp.com/1955truck2shop/55ctsm0649.htm

First you need to get the points on thehigh spot on the cam. Put the tranny in neutral. Remove the distributor cap. You should be able to turn the engine with the fan blade.

Easiest way is to use a feeler gauge, most accurate is a dwell meter. I usually put them in, set them with feeler, then check with a dwell meter. When you adjust the points, there is one screw that holds the base down, another that works as an adjustment cam. I use two screwdrivers, loosen the mount screw, then turn the adjuster wile pulling the feeler gauge out. Hold the adjuster steady while you tighten the mount.

There is no such thing as too much cam...just not enough engine.
Fred T is offline   Reply With Quote