The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-24-2006, 01:13 AM   #26
VinceY
Just need a couple more parts.

Re: Hard tonneau cover for Blazer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ochre
If you don't mind me asking, how much are you looking at paying for a custom one?
Have not priced it out.
Just found a place that will make custom last week. Most just do stock installs and do not do custom.
Need to take the blazer in for measurents.
I will let you know after they give me a price.
1958 Shasta Airflyte Travel trailer (fresh restoration)
1971 C/10 Pickup(Frame off Restoration)
1972 K5 Blazer CST (Daily Driver & My Company Truck)
1976 Honda CB750 Bobber
1988 Jaguar XJ12
VinceY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 04:36 PM   #27
jkade

Anyone ever come up with a hard cover??
jkade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 04:40 PM   #28
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

I think Blazester Dave said the company that made his will do it
Big Piggy: "Goliath" 07 Kodiak C4500
Lil Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 12:26 PM   #29
Blazester

GAYLORDS LIDS has IN STOCK lids for the P/U's of our years !!! THEY HAVE A OPTION CALLED:"TOOL BOX LID" where they shorten the lid to YOUR specs and then REINFORCE IT for the mounting brackets. All you have to do is get them measurements for how much you want them to shorten it. You decide whether you want it to go all the way to the seat backs or whatever. I left about ten inches so that I can install a mini-soft-top for those times when I encounter rain, I had them SAVE the section they cut-off for a custom filler piece that fills that space and "surrounds" the seat-backs. The custom made lid comes unpainted and I believe IT COSTS ABOUT $1200-1500. YOU have choices to make about the HINGES you want to use. Their X-2000 hinge is the best , but, it requires you to mount it to the bed=side rails which means modifying your decorative side trim panels. I chose the old style QR hinges and mounted the to a fabricated "bulk-head" which I made from "load-bars".
When I reinstall the full-size hardtop in the winter there is no noticable trace of modifications to my sidepanels. I used to be a retailer for these GAYLORD LIDS a few years back and ordered directly from them. IF you want to go this route and can't find a dealer to work with you, I MIGHT still be able to order one for you guys and have it shipped directly to you from Gaylords. I will try to attach some pics , but I know I have limited pics of just the lid.
Hope this helps,
Blazester Dave
Attached Images

Blazester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 08:44 PM   #30
jkade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazester View Post
GAYLORDS LIDS has IN STOCK lids for the P/U's of our years !!! THEY HAVE A OPTION CALLED:"TOOL BOX LID" where they shorten the lid to YOUR specs and then REINFORCE IT for the mounting brackets. All you have to do is get them measurements for how much you want them to shorten it. You decide whether you want it to go all the way to the seat backs or whatever. I left about ten inches so that I can install a mini-soft-top for those times when I encounter rain, I had them SAVE the section they cut-off for a custom filler piece that fills that space and "surrounds" the seat-backs. The custom made lid comes unpainted and I believe IT COSTS ABOUT $1200-1500. YOU have choices to make about the HINGES you want to use. Their X-2000 hinge is the best , but, it requires you to mount it to the bed=side rails which means modifying your decorative side trim panels. I chose the old style QR hinges and mounted the to a fabricated "bulk-head" which I made from "load-bars".
When I reinstall the full-size hardtop in the winter there is no noticable trace of modifications to my sidepanels. I used to be a retailer for these GAYLORD LIDS a few years back and ordered directly from them. IF you want to go this route and can't find a dealer to work with you, I MIGHT still be able to order one for you guys and have it shipped directly to you from Gaylords. I will try to attach some pics , but I know I have limited pics of just the lid.
Hope this helps,
Blazester Dave
Do you have a pic of what the front looks like? I would like to see how it looks after they cut it and how you have it mounted. Thanks for all the info.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:01 PM   #31
Blazester

jkade requested some more pics showing the front "filler" section that cradles the seat backs and the fabricated "bulk head" that supports the weight of the lid when it is open. I still need to fine-tune the appearance better of the "load bars" that I used. 95 % of the time they don't show , so I "went on to the next project" , and left them unfinished
When Gaylords shortened the stock pick-up lid to my specs it left about 18" or so of the leading edge for me to use, to fill the space I left open for the mini-softtop. Its VERY IMPORTANT if anybody choses to go with Gaylords to have them save this for you !!! They normally recycle this and it doesn't ship with the modified lid.
That leading edge comes with a finished-off "turned-down" lip , which is nice......but the majority of it gets trimmed off to make a cut-out area for the seatbacks.
Gaylords also strenghtened the filler-piece from underneath but I didn't give them detailed enough information and I ended-up NOT USING "that" section as it was trimmed down to aprx. 10".
I hope this info helps to answer most of you questions.......
Blazester Dave
Attached Images

Old 10-15-2007, 08:10 PM   #32
jkade

Thanx for the pics that helps me a lot. That bar doesn't look that bad to me besides you can't see it when everything is on
Old 10-15-2007, 08:21 PM   #33
Blazester

Here's one more pic from underside/inside...........
And yes those load bars are normally out-of-sight.....but, the least I could do is paint them black to hide them even better !!!
Blazester
Attached Images

Old 10-15-2007, 09:07 PM   #34
jkade

Thanks again
Old 10-17-2007, 08:14 PM   #35
mister.freeze

custom flush is easy: install angle inside the bed rails, cut plywood to fit, smother in fiberglass resin, sand, and paint.
Old 10-25-2007, 06:33 PM   #36
mister.freeze

Blazester- where did you get that soft top? My bro nees something like that...
Old 10-25-2007, 09:03 PM   #37
Blazester

Mister.Freeze, that soft-top is the front 1/3rd of a Kayline full size soft-top that I had the local upholstery shop modify for me.
I had them put a heavy-duty zipper along the back edge so that IF I ever wanted to use it like it was originally meant to be used .....I can zip back on the 2/3rds that I had them remove !!!
Also there is a back "window" section that also zips-on-and-off when I'm using the "mini" version.
I'll see if I can attach some pics.
Blazester Dave
P.S. The bow-tie back window was redone to just a rectangle shape as they had the bow-tie accidently reversed
I don't have a more recent picture.......
Attached Images

Old 06-28-2017, 08:32 PM   #38
gmc1971harwich

I was thinking of doing this I just need a back seat that folds down turn roll bar around and connect to windshield header then another piece that goes from front driprail and has hole for back window and connects into rear tonneau cover. I'm going to use a extang Blackmax tonneau cover for a 6' bed c10 then I have another tonneau cover with snaps that fits an 8' bed that velcros it's gonna be interesting lol just for the summer I still have my hard top these were leftover from 2 other trucks guys I sold them too didn't want them lol

Last edited by gmc1971harwich; 06-28-2017 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Typo
gmc1971harwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 08:37 PM   #39
gmc1971harwich

I have 2003 Silverado front seats on my 72 jimmy that seat 3 across so I really won't need my back seat that much
Old 06-28-2017, 08:39 PM   #40
gmc1971harwich

Where do I get a snap kit for my roll bar anybody know?
Old 05-03-2021, 12:14 PM   #41
scf100

bringing this thread back up......I want to do some kind of a hard cover but thinking rollup.....here are some I have seen....anyone got anything they have done to share?
Attached Images

1972 C-10 Extended Cab 350 SBC
scf100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 01:14 AM   #42
RustyBucket

scf100, can't ad anything I've done to share but thanks for bringing this thread back. I bought the(above) ochre & white '72 from Blazester in 2011 & still have it. I'd never seen this thread or the pictures of my Blazer. I removed the headrest bulges but haven't changed much else. I bought a fiberglass half top but haven't fitted or refinished it. I wanted the half top & hard tonneau to look like a shorter short bed PU. I enjoy the topless ride in Fl. weather. Blazer's been a fun toy with very few problems.
Attached Images

Current toy trucks:
'71 GMC 1500 SUPER CUSTOM short/step, orig. dk. blue, 350/700r, ps,pb, A/C
'72 Blazer 2wd, ochre & white, 454, tremecTKO 500 5spd. ps, pb, A/C, tilt

Last 10yrs of hobby vehicles, had a FEW more in the 50yrs. before these:
'66 Plymouth Belvedere City of Miami cop car clone.
'70 Nova 406"sb, 13.5-1, solid roller, Brodix, p.glide/t.brake, back halved, 9" Ford, spool 4.88, cage,ladder bar/coilover, 10.5 tire....... SOLD!!
'67 C10 short/step side mount spare -- SOLD!!
'72 Jimmy 2wd, 350/350, ps, pb, fun driver, lots of bondo & a shiny red paint job..... SOLD!!
'69 Nova 350, 4spd, A/C, ps, p.b, ...SOLD!!

Last edited by RustyBucket; 05-04-2021 at 01:18 AM. Reason: typoo
RustyBucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 04:05 AM   #43
Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyBucket View Post
scf100, can't ad anything I've done to share but thanks for bringing this thread back. I bought the(above) ochre & white '72 from Blazester in 2011 & still have it. I'd never seen this thread or the pictures of my Blazer. I removed the headrest bulges but haven't changed much else. I bought a fiberglass half top but haven't fitted or refinished it. I wanted the half top & hard tonneau to look like a shorter short bed PU. I enjoy the topless ride in Fl. weather. Blazer's been a fun toy with very few problems.
Nice ride. Good move IMO removing the speed racer bulges. Looks great now. I would not change anything else as well. The half top install would make it pretty much perfect.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote