The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-04-2017, 05:30 PM   #1
FAKKY

Bunch adhoc Questions mainly interior

So pulling interior out to wipe down and prime and get ready for sound proofing. a few questions

PO had some sort of old mustang type bucket seats in there held down by four bolts. Pretty shot at least in foam and some rust. Might be salvageable (frame) for reupholster but I guess n idea how much that will be and what other options there are that would work. What did you all do - bench seats ?

Seal around firewall. I've plugged most of my holes with a mixtre of welded plugs, harness plugs and some pushout metal plugs. But I can still see a gap around the seam of the internal firewall to external firewall. What did you guys use to seal this properly.

Windshield wipers. Motor and mechanism. Is it just a 12v system - apply 12v to see if works ? How much effort to replace and fix as like everything else on this truck - probably doesn't work well in current state.

Cowell grill on top outside, I want to seal the holes I made from drilling out the pedal/column support. Can you just pull this out via a number of screws ? Would make access from topside easy.

thx
Old 09-04-2017, 08:23 PM   #2
yossarian19

Re: Bunch adhoc Questions mainly interior

On my '57 longbed, the wipers were vacuum operated and weren't working. I went with Newport wipers and they are great. One of the highest quality after market pieces I've bought. No regrets there.
The bench seat.. I reupholstered mine. $500. Ouch. Doing it again, I'd be more patient and look for the right seat on craigslist. They are out there.
Firewall & cowl holes... yeah, I'll let you know if I ever fix those on my junk...
yossarian19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 10:52 PM   #3
Dan in Pasadena

The wipers on my '55.2 are electric from the factory. Still work fine.

If you're looking for an alternative to reupholstering your stock seat a lot of guys use '88-'98 Chevy truck bench seats. Some guys cut the mount lower and re-weld them. Others use them at stock height. I'm reupholstering my stock seat but with the stock springs replaced with straight foam lie a modern seat.

I welded all the holes shut in my firewall. Stopped counting at FIFTY holes! I see no space around the perimeter of the firewall....if that's what you're referring to.

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 09:12 PM   #4
FAKKY

I'm not sure if the wiper assembly is vaccum or both electric/vacuum. Can't see anything that looks like vaccum.
Is it just 12v signal to check operation ?

I think the seats I had in truck are old 67-68 either camaro or mustang seats. Seems like worth a few$$ but u sure if I will reupholster or just sell and buy something more modern.

The space on the firewall is the seem from the inner firewall ... About level with bottom of dash when looking from inside out. Can just see light through it so figured some sort of sealant but not sure what
Old 09-05-2017, 10:45 PM   #5
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAKKY View Post
I'm not sure if the wiper assembly is vaccum or both electric/vacuum. Can't see anything that looks like vaccum.
Is it just 12v signal to check operation?
I'm not sure what you're asking here. There are no ports that a vacuum hose would attach to on my wiper motor. I just had it out to clean it up before re-installing in my truck that's undergoing a frame off redo too.

Quote:
I think the seats I had in truck are old 67-68 either camaro or mustang seats. Seems like worth a few$$ but u sure if I will reupholster or just sell and buy something more modern.
I suppose it comes down to whether you want bucket seats or a bench seat? Do you have the budget to have custom upholstery done on EITHER a bench or these buckets? Personally, I prefer a bench but strokes/folks!

Quote:
The space on the firewall is the seem from the inner firewall ... About level with bottom of dash when looking from inside out. Can just see light through it so figured some sort of sealant but not sure what
I just don't have and never had any daylight showing there on mine so i can't really comment. Are you sure everything is bolted up tight?

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 11:56 PM   #6
BIGglaSS

Quote:

Seal around firewall. I've plugged most of my holes with a mixtre of welded plugs, harness plugs and some pushout metal plugs. But I can still see a gap around the seam of the internal firewall to external firewall. What did you guys use to seal this properly.
I will be using 3M 08308 heavy bodied seam sealer on the inside. But, any good quality seam sealer should be sufficient.
BIGglaSS is offline   Reply With Quote