The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-23-2003, 04:41 PM   #1
Fourtrax

Need a 72 Top

Can anyone tell me what would be a better course of action. I have a 72 Blazer and the top is textured. There is a spot that looks like the paint has come off down to the raw fiberglass. There is also some cracking on the hatch at the bottom corners of the glass and leaks pretty good. How or who should I find to repair these problems or should I be on the hunt for a new top? One other thing, is there an aftermarket company that makes these tops?
Fourtrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 04:57 PM   #2
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

You can buy the hatches after market. If you know how to work with fiberglass, repairs shouldn't be too difficult. Several guys have smoothed out the texture on their tops when they did repairs. A good boat repair shop should be able to fix your issues if you don't want to deal with it. Tops can be expensive and you probably won't find anything in better condition than what you have. There are two different types of tops, single wall and double wall. The easiest way to tell which version you have is buy how it bolts to the truck. If the side bolts come down fromt he top, you have a single wall. If the bolts go up from under the bed rail, you have a double wall. Single wall tops are more desireable because the are lighter, easier to install and the double wall tops have splitting prolbems.

Your top doesn't sound like it is in too bad of shape (well, better than mine anyway.) I'd talk to some fiberglass people and see what it would take to get it fixed. If your thinking about buying another top anyway, you might as well try to fix the problems yourself. You might find it easy to do.

On another note, please fill out your profile. Board members can help you better if they know where you are, etc...
Wife's Ride2014 Fiat 500L
bouncytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 05:14 PM   #3
Fourtrax

Thanks bouncy, I guess I could fill out my profile... DUH! I am fairly new to this site but man I could see myself gettin hooked REAL fast. The amount of knowledge and pictures of the trucks I love is awesome. Thank you again for the info. Im going to post some pics of mine soon.
Old 10-23-2003, 05:34 PM   #4
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

I posted a few days ago that I found a top in great shape. It's a single wall and located in southern Minnesota. It's on a 72 GMC Jimmy at the local wrecking yard.

HG
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 07:40 PM   #5
Fourtrax

Man I need to get in touch about that top. I not sure how this site works yet but if you can email me let me know. PLEASE! If you have a pic or too that would be even better.

Thanks, Jason
Old 10-23-2003, 09:04 PM   #6
71PROSTBLAZER

jason , what do ya have a 2wd or 4wd ? im s of atl. might have to hook up !!
71PROSTBLAZER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 07:28 AM   #7
Fourtrax

I have a 2 door. Hey man do you know of any gatherings for our kind? You know the first generation crowd.
Old 10-24-2003, 12:07 PM   #8
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

Fourtrax, I think 71PROSTBLAZER was asking if your truck is a 4x4 or not. All Blazers are 2 doors. If you have any pictures, please feel free to post them.

Also, you can send a PM (private message) to a board member. It is similar to e-mail but stays within the board. There is a button at the bottom of each post that says "pm". Just click there and it will take you to the area to send a message. It's good for finalizing deals or sending personal information that you don't really want posted on a message board - like addresses and phone numbers...
Wife's Ride2014 Fiat 500L
bouncytruck is offline   Reply With Quote