The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-13-2015, 10:18 AM   #1
blazer2007

leaf spring bushing bolt stuck-opinions or options

I have a 78 blazer that I lowered by removing some leafs and put in a 1 in. spacer and flipped the rear,and some firestone 9000 bags ,looked like it was going to sit right but after everything got tightened up it raised it abit so I thought I would put in some lowered shackles,well one side is loose but other side the bolt is seized inside the steel bushing on the leaf.I have lots of room for beating but nothing.I can spin the bolt and steel bushing soI thought if I cut the heads of the bolt I could remove the bolt and steel bushing but can you buy or replace this steel part ?MY other option was to try and drill out the old rubber bushing after cutting heads off, but can I put a new bushing in with the leaf still in the truck ? I don,t want to start cutting up until I,m sure and if not I will live with it for this year.
Attached Images

blazer2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 11:54 AM   #2
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

Re: leaf spring bushing bolt stuck-opinions or options

If these are factory rubber type bushings, the center bushing should not spin at all. It is vulcanized to the rubber. If it's spinning, you need to replace the whole bushing.

Since you'll be replacing them, use a saws-all and cut the bolt between the hanger and bushing. Once done, remove the whole spring and press out the old and press in a new bushing. Use some antiseeze on the bolt shaft, so it won't rust to the center bushing again.
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 03:21 PM   #3
blazer2007

when pressing them out are we talking go to a shop and get them pressed or can it be done like a u- joint method ,c-clamp and sockets ?Also do they make a 2 piece bushing that just slide in from both ends,is my first time at this task.
Old 04-13-2015, 05:57 PM   #4
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

The factory style bushing is all one piece (outer metal shell, rubber, inner metal bushing). I have used my 20 ton press to remove and install them. Not sure if a large vice would have enough pressure. C-clamp method, likely not going to work.

I don't know if a urethane bushing for your app is two piece or a single. You would have to look that info up, if someone doesn't chime in before.
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 08:51 PM   #5
ranger danger

I have removed them by cutting the bolt off to get the spring out, then heat it with a torch until the rubber begins to melt. Then just push them out with a piece of pipe. They come out real easy that way.
US Navy 1979-1983 Gunners Mate Guns (GMG)
NRA Life Member

Unrestrained Children in back seats cause Accidents.
Unrestrained Accidents in back seats cause Children.
ranger danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 10:47 AM   #6
blazer2007

Well, removing the fr. bushing looks like no fun to remove on a blazer,if I had a hoist maybe but found a couple u-tube videos.One guy replaced the new bushing with a 1/2 in redi rod and some washers and a impact gun and sucked it in,and removing he drilled out the rubber bushing and then removed the sleeve with a air hammer.Also Rancho makes a 2 piece poly bushing.This looks like a doable way for me,I,ll let you know
Old 04-14-2015, 10:53 PM   #7
68c10airstream

Living and working in the salty north here i go, tighten up the nut snug about the amount it was originally at. Now with 2 breaker bars move the head of the bolt and the nut in the same direction together, i usually go in the direction of loosing it up. If the head of the bolt doesn't want to spin tighten up the nut until they go together in the same direction. What this accomplishes is this; the tension on the nut pinches the sleeve to the sides and prevents movement as you slowly move the bolt/nut. It doesn't always work but most of the time it does.
68c10airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 10:37 AM   #8
terrylgreenjr

I used a ball joint tool like the OTC 7249. Ive used the same tool for lower control arm bushing, ball joints and the rear leaf spring bushings. I also replaced the bushing with the leals still in teh truck , just doing them one at a time
terrylgreenjr is offline   Reply With Quote