The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-01-2017, 09:15 AM   #1
blazer2007

how to get the best air pressure for tire wear ?

I was wondering if there is away to set air pressure on your tires so they wear evenly on wide tires . Driving over some chalk powder or something like that
blazer2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 10:46 AM   #2
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Re: how to get the best air pressure for tire wear ?

I always run what the tire recommends. ..I think the problem your referring to usually comes from wide tires on the wrong width rims
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 03:59 PM   #3
69gmcc10

There are so many factors that go into different wheels, tire brands, and models of tires that sometimes the factory pressure specs don't quite work. some companies have stiffer sidewalls, some are softer, and sometimes (ok, almost always) we install different wheel and tire sizes that the factory didn't plan for. This plays a huge factor on how the weight of the vehicle is distributed through the tread of the tire, a wider tire means more weight distribution and therefore a change in pressure is necessary.

Regardless if i am installing a factory spec tire or not I usually use a temp gun to get the proper tire pressures. I air the tires up about 5 lbs over the vehicle specs and go for a drive for a few miles and stop, check the inside, outside, and center temps of the tires and make changes in about 2-3 lbs increments and repeat the process until I get an even or as close to even temperature across the entire tread of the tires. This is the first thing i do after purchasing a new set of tires and then I write my front and rear pressures down on a note pad in my glove box so I don't forget. I often find that the fronts and rears are happy at different temp, especially in trucks! I run 5-10 lbs "less" pressure in the rear tires until I haul a load and then I add pressure to even out the rear temps with the load, and drop them back down when when I unload. In my 1500HD I run 45 psi up front and 35 psi out back and the tire wear impressively even throughout there life.

Rotating your tires will also help allot with this, fronts wear out the sides of a tire and the rears wear out the centers. I rotate my tires every time I change my oil, about 4K miles, adjust the front/rear pressure bias in the tire to the pressures I established in the beginning of the tires purchase and it really helps promote even tire wear.

alignment will also be a factor, make sure you are with in either factory specs or where you want the spec to be.

03 Silverado build thread-http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=591582
69gmcc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 04:45 PM   #4
mongocanfly
Post Whore

that's a new one on me....other than race tires I've never heard of using a temp reading to adjust tire pressure on a driver..
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 09:45 PM   #5
franken

Depends on contact patch area, and vehicle weight. Google, bing, etc. Pounds per square inch.
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 03:58 AM   #6
andrewmp6

Look in to the chalk way,It takes a little time but once you figure out the right psi that will be the best to run for your truck for tire wear.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 11:07 AM   #7
69gmcc10

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmp6 View Post
Look in to the chalk way,It takes a little time but once you figure out the right psi that will be the best to run for your truck for tire wear.
I have used a lumber crayon to do it this way as well. It works, I am just lazy and have a temp gun at my disposal. There is no reason this process needs to be expensive or complicated.

03 Silverado build thread-http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=591582
69gmcc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 02:33 AM   #8
andrewmp6

Yeah a lumber crayon will work but im cheap sidewalk chalk from the dollar store works well.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote