The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-26-2018, 08:28 AM   #1
SBTork
Garage wrench

DTC help!

So I've got an '85 Suburban with a 5.3 in it from an 04 Avalanche. Completed the swap about 2 years ago and it's been great. This morning on my way to work I noticed the RPM's felt a little high going 80, so I did a system check with my Blue Driver device and came back with 3 DTC's...

P0101 - Mass or Volume Air Flow Sensor "A" Circuit Range/Performance

P0654 - Engine RPM Output Circuit/Open

P0724 - Brake Switch "B" Circuit High

I've done a very little amount of quick research and the last two possibly point to a bad PCM (it's from an '03 Silverado from a salvage yard), possibly bad brake switch, possibly a bad connection at the PCM or bad wiring?
First one may be bad mass air flow sensor?

Just looking for advice or input on what I can do/check or what common fixes are. Any help is greatly appreciated!

90 V1500 GMC Suburban 350/700R4/NP241.....
01 Saturn SL1 stock DD.....

Last edited by SBTork; 10-26-2018 at 08:42 AM. Reason: added things
SBTork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 10:20 AM   #2
Custom 68

Re: DTC help!

I would check all of your fuses related to the swap. I wouldn't jump to the conclusion the PCM is bad.
Also check your grounds, if they have gotten loose they can play havoc on things.
Dave
"A good friend will bail you out of jail...but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "that was frekin awesome".
"If it doesn't fit force it...If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway!"
Custom 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 10:46 AM   #3
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

The brake circuit switch will take you out of lockup on the highway, which is probably why your're feeling increased RPM.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 11:40 AM   #4
SBTork
Garage wrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom 68 View Post
I would check all of your fuses related to the swap. I wouldn't jump to the conclusion the PCM is bad.
Also check your grounds, if they have gotten loose they can play havoc on things.
Dave
I will check fuses on my break here shortly. I agree and will check grounds too, I've heard way too many stories about crazy weird electrical problems being due to a bad ground. I think I have 1 from engine to frame, 1 from engine to body and 1 directly from battery to frame....should I have more than what I currently have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
The brake circuit switch will take you out of lockup on the highway, which is probably why your're feeling increased RPM.
That's exactly what I was thinking too.

Old 10-26-2018, 01:16 PM   #5
ls1nova71

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBTork View Post
I will check fuses on my break here shortly. I agree and will check grounds too, I've heard way too many stories about crazy weird electrical problems being due to a bad ground. I think I have 1 from engine to frame, 1 from engine to body and 1 directly from battery to frame....should I have more than what I currently have?
You need to check your engine harness grounds, there are usually three of them on a truck harness.

5.3 swap into my RUSTY '71 C10
http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...71-c-10-a.html
ls1nova71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 01:47 PM   #6
SBTork
Garage wrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1nova71 View Post
You need to check your engine harness grounds, there are usually three of them on a truck harness.
Thank you for the heads up on there usually being 3 of them, I will absolutely check that out!

Old 10-29-2018, 11:24 AM   #7
87chevy.com
BMW & ASE Master Certified

Do you have a tach hooked up?

New project: 2006 BMW x5 6cyl AWD to L83 6l80e 4wd to 2WD / RWD

A poor man buy's it twice

finally got my domain name back, 87chevy.com.... site rework in progress
87chevy.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 12:09 AM   #8
Wildkarde

The mass airflow code could be a huge number of things, dirty maf, vacuum leak, leak in the air intake tube after the maf, fuse, bad ground.

The TCC code means that the PCM is detecting 12v all the time on the TCC brake switch line. It shouldnt keep the torque convertor from locking up since the PCM should ignore the brake switch functionality all toghether if either of the two codes for it are set. The torque convertor will just unlock below the set speed not when you hit the brakes. Can't imagine a bad fuse or ground could be causing this one.

The engine speed code is the same one that is always set in my swaps if the customer doesn't hook up a tach to the tach wire.

The TCC code and the engine speed code aren't aeven severe enough to set a check engine light. I would focus on the MAF code. If fuses and grounds are good get some MAF cleaner. Those things are notorious for getting dirty really easy.
Wildkarde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 11:16 AM   #9
SBTork
Garage wrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87chevy.com View Post
Do you have a tach hooked up?
I do not have a tach hooked up, should I? I've been using my Blue Driver device for my gauges....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildkarde View Post
The mass airflow code could be a huge number of things, dirty maf, vacuum leak, leak in the air intake tube after the maf, fuse, bad ground.

The TCC code means that the PCM is detecting 12v all the time on the TCC brake switch line. It shouldnt keep the torque convertor from locking up since the PCM should ignore the brake switch functionality all toghether if either of the two codes for it are set. The torque convertor will just unlock below the set speed not when you hit the brakes. Can't imagine a bad fuse or ground could be causing this one.

The engine speed code is the same one that is always set in my swaps if the customer doesn't hook up a tach to the tach wire.

The TCC code and the engine speed code aren't aeven severe enough to set a check engine light. I would focus on the MAF code. If fuses and grounds are good get some MAF cleaner. Those things are notorious for getting dirty really easy.

I do have 3 grounds off the engine. I went through and cleaned 1 up and re connected it, 1 is good and the last one looks good but I'm going to take it apart and clean it just for piece of mind. I've been driving it since then and the only code that comes back is the P0654 code. Would hooking up the tach wire help this?

Just for piece of mind I did go through and clean the mass air flow sensor and re-installed it making sure all connections to and from it are good as well as the intake tube to the throttle body. And thank you guys big time for all the help with this so far! I've learned something from this for sure, it helps!!

Last edited by SBTork; 10-31-2018 at 11:48 AM. Reason: added things
Old 11-01-2018, 12:11 AM   #10
Wildkarde

hooking up the tach wire would likely get rid of the code, though it doesn't really matter. having the code set won't affect anything.
Wildkarde is offline   Reply With Quote