The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-16-2015, 12:04 PM   #426
oem4me

Re: most original 60-66 truck in existence?

I rarely use the smilies, but ...
oem4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 12:20 PM   #427
Texas1963

Heres mine. the first 2 are day #2 after wash and that wood under the bed is what was left of the bed. I believe I'm the third owner and this truck has been unmolested all these years. Original radio still turns on but no speaker. Third pic 3/5 spring drop. 4th 1 coil cut up front and painted white walls, rings and lugs. Have been working and spending on this everyday for over a month and love it and love this site.
Attached Images

Texas1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 05:08 PM   #428
64jmb

Here is mine. 1962 C10 Custom Cab. It is pretty original for the most part. I cleaned pretty much all the old repaint off with water to the original color. I did change the hood and one fender was changed I think but it was pretty much a one owner. I was told the original owner owned for about 6 months and sold it to the family I got it from and they had it since 1962. All I have been doing is cleaning. It was a real mess. It has been sitting for a while as you can see, but and looks amazing compared to when I got it. It has been a great fun project for my son and I to work on it. Hope to get it running soon. I have not got that far yet.
Attached Images

64jmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 10:59 PM   #429
sodly

Here's a rare bird. How about a 1960 C20 Custom with beautiful, original Klondike Gold over white paint wearing its original Klondike Gold-painted 17.5" wheels (including the seldom seen correct hubcaps) and the exceedingly scarce full side trim.

I was told this truck had 60-some thousand original miles on the clock when it was unceremoniously butchered (IMO) a few years ago to create a "resto-mod". All the original torsion bar suspension, engine, transmission, rear axle and wheels were carelessly yanked and scattered to the four winds. What a cryin' shame! How many time-warp 1960 3/4 ton customs with nice, original paint have you seen lately? Or ever? I've seen.... uuumm, let me think.... one. This one!

I know to each their own but what happened to this truck is just plain shameful. It's fun to look at the "before" pics, though.
Attached Images

Custom Camper Club-- Own a 65-66 Custom Camper? Join us at: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/g...hp?groupid=117
sodly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 12:13 AM   #430
64jmb

Very nice truck!
64jmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 12:44 AM   #431
DakotaKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodly View Post
Here's a rare bird. How about a 1960 C20 Custom with beautiful, original Klondike Gold over white paint wearing its original Klondike Gold-painted 17.5" wheels (including the seldom seen correct hubcaps) and the exceedingly scarce full side trim.

I was told this truck had 60-some thousand original miles on the clock when it was unceremoniously butchered (IMO) a few years ago to create a "resto-mod". All the original torsion bar suspension, engine, transmission, rear axle and wheels were carelessly yanked and scattered to the four winds. What a cryin' shame! How many time-warp 1960 3/4 ton customs with nice, original paint have you seen lately? Or ever? I've seen.... uuumm, let me think.... one. This one!

I know to each their own but what happened to this truck is just plain shameful. It's fun to look at the "before" pics, though.
If this is the same truck ive seen it at Back to the Fifties in Mineapolis...
it is gorgeous. Nicely done, and gets driven quite a bit from the discussion i had with the owner, Hes pretty proud of it, tole me the rear trim is worth $3,000. i just nodded my head and said sure, whatever hahaha.

nice truck though.

all that being said, i bet its getting enjoyed/Used alot more than it would if it was all stock. Just cause its Rare, dosent make it valuable.

Others, 1958 Edsel Villager Station Wagon
1926 Ford Model T Roadster Hotrod

www.suedescarclub.com
DakotaKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 01:42 AM   #432
oem4me

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakotaKid View Post
Just cause its Rare, dosent make it valuable.
True, but taking something from rare to partly commonplace means losing the very thing that makes it interesting. No?

Last edited by oem4me; 08-02-2015 at 02:21 AM.
Old 08-02-2015, 03:27 PM   #433
factorystock

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodly View Post

It's fun to look at the "before" pics, though.
Thanks for posting the "before" historically correct photos sodly, needless to say, would not be interested in seeing the "after" photos on this thread. Excellent original paint pampered garaged trucks do not come up very often, most originals that you find are faded, rusted as well as banged up. Makes me think of a "time capsule" thread versus a "most original" thread for the future. Any thoughts?
factorystock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 10:57 PM   #434
sodly

Quote:
Originally Posted by oem4me View Post
True, but taking something from rare to partly commonplace means losing the very thing that makes it interesting. No?
Does another 1960 C20 custom this nice and original still exist anywhere? I'm not sure. I haven't seen one. Perhaps this doesn't make it valuable in monetary terms but it is surely priceless in terms of its (former) rarity. Too bad the owner didn't realize what he had. Or didn't care.

I'm with oem4me. In this case it's all about the rarity. Whether it's being "used" or not is irrelevant. In fact, I'd rather see a time capsule truck like that NOT get used any more than what's necessary to keep it in good running order. I would get more enjoyment out of seeing a vehicle like that preserved than I would seeing it get used up and lost forever. There are plenty of lesser examples that can be used regularly or driven daily. Something this unusual deserves to be preserved for posterity. Heck it might've been the best remaining example left on the planet! Still think it should be daily-driven in that case? I don't.

Trucks like this were extremely common in America at one time. But just because they were built in huge numbers doesn't mean they still survive today in huge numbers. A formerly common truck can in fact be very rare indeed.

Custom Camper Club-- Own a 65-66 Custom Camper? Join us at: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/g...hp?groupid=117

Last edited by sodly; 08-02-2015 at 11:11 PM.
Old 08-02-2015, 11:03 PM   #435
sodly

Quote:
Originally Posted by factorystock View Post
Thanks for posting the "before" historically correct photos sodly, needless to say, would not be interested in seeing the "after" photos on this thread. Excellent original paint pampered garaged trucks do not come up very often, most originals that you find are faded, rusted as well as banged up. Makes me think of a "time capsule" thread versus a "most original" thread for the future. Any thoughts?
I've always hoped that this thread would gravitate toward a "time capsule" theme, factorystock! Problem is, of course, time capsule trucks are few and far between, as we know.

Old 08-03-2015, 12:12 AM   #436
DakotaKid

I have never been of the mentality to not "Use" a vehicle. be it a multi million dollar ferrari or a Yugo. These vehicles were meant to be used. going to goodwood and seing the rich flog on milliondollar exotic race cars is awesome.

Original stuff is Cool, dont get me wrong. but freaking out about someone "ruining" a vehicle that they own to do what they want with it...

If you want original stuff, go save it. But dont bag on the people that modify stuff. If it wasnt for the aftermarket world the car hobby would be dead. Cause OEM will not produce the parts. Remember that.

My truck is an Original 235 4spd SWB that was delivered in HIGHWAY DEPARTMENT ORANGE. How amny of those were made in 62? I would bet very damn few. but i put the newer suspension in it for driveability, put a 350 in it so it will drive highway speeds. i want to enjoy the pickup. not parade cruise it and have to trailier it everywhere because it wont go 50mph.

I respect the original stuff, its fun to look at. and im glad there are people out there Saving them. but dont hate on those that Modify.

Others, 1958 Edsel Villager Station Wagon
1926 Ford Model T Roadster Hotrod

www.suedescarclub.com
DakotaKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 03:09 AM   #437
oem4me

Quote:
dont hate on those that Modify.
Not even. Some of the mods showcased on this forum are way cooler than anything stock will ever be ... and with few exceptions, none of these trucks started out as anything other than another mass produced "tool". Cosequently, the overwhelming majority have been subjected to the regular cycle of abuse and repair, both inside and out many times over.
Occasionally though, one makes it out unscathed or even pristine. What was one OF a million, is now one IN a million. In other words, it's rare.
So, when a true "survivor" surfaces only to be treated with indifference, it's a bit sad. It's not a sacrilege. It's not a sin. But it is kind of a waste of what time has spared all these years. Wouldn't you agree?

Last edited by oem4me; 08-03-2015 at 03:19 AM.
Old 08-03-2015, 06:41 AM   #438
aerotruk63
Check The Champ, Demonstrator

It is difficult to title a thread to include all the theory behind it's intention. We all have a tendency to drift from the original theme.
I appreciate more as I mature to see the benefits of preserving the past,and as mentioned, am disappointed when you see for example, a truck that was carefully preserved all the years in it's original state, only to be sold to someone with a different point of view. But then, I don't have the cash to rescue a Gem from the past nor the ability to preserve it as we deem some things should.

AS stated above HATING on those who modify is the same as HATING on those who trailer their vehicle, who use them only in parades, or lock them away preserving their all original status. This thread is not intended for those who modify. It's intention is to get a snapshot of how things actually were. To much hearsay at times on the forum of what and how things were. Guilty to this as well.
Blah! Blah! Blah! do what you want, but, realize someone else is doing the same. Someone on this forum gave some great advise, if you don't like a thread, you don't have to read or participate in it.
I like this thread, for it's original intention.

OEM4ME your actually inaccurate in your statement above, there were not millions produced every year. Each year had some exclusive details not seen in the next or previous. That's part of what this thread is all about. There are only a few members on this forum who appreciate correct facts and figures, and fewer who use spell check and edit.

YouTube Channel with 20+ Original Chevrolet Truck Salesmen, Mechanics & Service Department Training Slideshows.
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...otruk63&page=1

Last edited by aerotruk63; 08-03-2015 at 07:01 AM.
aerotruk63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 08:14 AM   #439
corvettejim1968

I like this thread for the reference factor. if I want to know how it was factory I come here and do some digging.
https://coolc10.com/
corvettejim1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 10:25 AM   #440
oem4me

Quote:
Originally Posted by oem4me View Post
...ced "tool". Cosequently, the overwh...
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerotruk63 View Post
...and fewer who use spell check and edit.
Ok Norm, that's funny. Lol.
Old 08-03-2015, 05:35 PM   #441
plainred65

Quote:
put a 350 in it so it will drive highway speeds. i want to enjoy the pickup. not parade cruise it and have to trailier it everywhere because it wont go 50mph.
65 230 six, three on the tree, 73,000 miles. Bone stock, mine cruises comfortably all day at 70mph. Maybe it was the gearing (in yours)? I use mine like a truck, hauling stone, mulch, topsoil, whatever. It's not like a new truck, but that's the point.

Surely I'm not the only one with a stock six that can go faster than 50mph?

Last edited by plainred65; 08-03-2015 at 05:48 PM.
plainred65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 07:15 PM   #442
factorystock

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerotruk63 View Post
This thread is not intended for those who modify. It's intention is to get a snapshot of how things actually were.
Very well said.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:35 PM   #443
Smittie

Quote:
put a 350 in it so it will drive highway speeds. i want to enjoy the pickup. not parade cruise it and have to trailier it everywhere because it wont go 50mph.
I mean no offense and I do not hate people for what they do to the vehicles they buy. If you like V8s that's fine. However, promoting the idea that a six cylinder engine is incapable of going over 50 mph is simple ignorance. A stock 230 properly cared for will do freeway speeds of 70+ well past the 200,000 mile mark. Bolt on the right parts so that the engine can breath properly, add a modern carb and it can get to 70+ smartly.

My son and I drove a 1973 Chevy C10 with a 250 CID straight six that had the worst rings I've ever driven. A quart of oil every 100 miles. Drove it all the way to Montana at between 70 and 75 most of the way. Yes, acceleration was a bit weak, to put it mildly. But as long as we kept oil in it, it kept up on the highway.

Don't like 6 cylinder engines? No problem. Just own the fact that you do not like them. Statements like the above just make you look ignorant, which I don't really think you are.

-- Smittie

Last edited by Smittie; 08-03-2015 at 07:45 PM.
Smittie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 07:44 PM   #444
Smittie

Quote:
I respect the original stuff, its fun to look at. and im glad there are people out there Saving them. but dont hate on those that Modify.
I like ingenuity. Slammed low, chopped down to a three and a half inch windshield, channeled to the point where you have to lay down to drive. Love to see it all.

Here's what I'm asking. On the rare occasion when one of you that likes to modify, comes across a well preserved, low mileage survivor, do the other side of the house a solid. One of us old fogies will pay you more than you bought it for, hell most of us will help you find a replacement vehicle to boot. Just let us keep the survivors. Because once they have been modified, that's it. It's gone forever. It will never be original again.

-- Smittie
Old 08-03-2015, 07:49 PM   #445
Smittie

Quote:
Originally Posted by plainred65 View Post
65 230 six, three on the tree, 73,000 miles. Bone stock, mine cruises comfortably all day at 70mph. Maybe it was the gearing (in yours)? I use mine like a truck, hauling stone, mulch, topsoil, whatever. It's not like a new truck, but that's the point.

Surely I'm not the only one with a stock six that can go faster than 50mph?
1963 Chevy C10, 3 on the tree, original 230 was swapped out for a 250 CID straight six which is bone stock. 70 mph is easy, the truck can do 80 all day long but the gas mileage at that speed is awful.

-- Smittie
Old 08-03-2015, 10:46 PM   #446
factorystock

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvettejim1968 View Post
I like this thread for the reference factor. if I want to know how it was factory I come here and do some digging.
Good point. Brochures are vague at best when it comes to details. This thread answers a lot of questions. A color photo of the upholstery on the gold and white '60 Custom would have come in handy when this question was asked.http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=668011
Old 08-03-2015, 11:37 PM   #447
sodly

Everyone needs to chillax a bit. I didn't mean to start a pissing match and I don't expect everyone to agree with my opinion about what should happen to vehicles seemingly as rare as this one. I never "hated" on modified trucks. In fact, I dig 'em... when they're done well (e.g. Delmo). It's hard to argue that these trucks don't look good lowered.

I was just making a point about this particular truck. I don't believe every low-mile truck or vehicle is inherently special enough to merit preservation. But this one sure did. Just one guy's opinion. Take it or leave it. I suspect most people who follow this thread probably see it my way and those are the ones I was really addressing with my comments. Like oem4me said this guy took that gold truck from one-in-a-million to one of many (and the numbers of modded trucks are growing every day). Different strokes, I guess. I realize weirdos like me are often swimming upstream around here with that point of view.

Speaking as a resident curmudgeon, I've never understood what's wrong with a 50 year old truck topping out at 50-55 mph. That's how these trucks were designed to work so why should we expect anything different from them? If someone's looking to fly down the interstate at 75 they're barking up the wrong tree with 1960s trucks. I, for one, love these trucks as they were designed moreso than for what they can be "Frankenstein-ed" into (although that can be cool, too!).

By the same token, who's to say a person can't "enjoy" a truck that's trailered and parade cruised? I'd love the opportunity to find out! It's not really my thing but I believe there is a certain pleasure in it for lots of people. But I would never trailer a nice survivor like that gold truck. It needs to be driven. It's not going to hurt it. Just be careful and don't rack up the miles!

Sorry... I don't mean to belabor this. But I think it's kinda fun to hear different perspectives on the more philosophical and ethical aspects of this hobby. Hope you do, too.

Last edited by sodly; 08-05-2015 at 10:19 PM.
Old 08-04-2015, 12:28 AM   #448
LT1 Burb

I just want to say this thread is in valuable to people doing stock resto's. I can look at pics and see what bolts, colors etc to use.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

LT1 Burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 06:56 AM   #449
72step

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittie View Post
I mean no offense and I do not hate people for what they do to the vehicles they buy. If you like V8s that's fine. However, promoting the idea that a six cylinder engine is incapable of going over 50 mph is simple ignorance. A stock 230 properly cared for will do freeway speeds of 70+ well past the 200,000 mile mark. Bolt on the right parts so that the engine can breath properly, add a modern carb and it can get to 70+ smartly.

My son and I drove a 1973 Chevy C10 with a 250 CID straight six that had the worst rings I've ever driven. A quart of oil every 100 miles. Drove it all the way to Montana at between 70 and 75 most of the way. Yes, acceleration was a bit weak, to put it mildly. But as long as we kept oil in it, it kept up on the highway.

Don't like 6 cylinder engines? No problem. Just own the fact that you do not like them. Statements like the above just make you look ignorant, which I don't really think you are.

-- Smittie
I couldn't agree more! I have a 230 4spd 65 c10 and in top gear it does fine on the highway. An extra gear is more important than a v8 engine in myopinionfor highway speeds. The v8 will get to top gear faster but you're still at 1 to 1 ratio in top gear unless you are running a OD trans. I used to have a hot 327 in a 71 stepper and I don't miss it. My sweet 6 in my 65 is quiet and has plenty of torque In top gear. The 327always ran rich and did horrid mpgs in comparison. It was fast but always required tweaking it seemed. If I ever did a v8 again I would keep it closer to stock and run a OD trans but at this point I love my stock 65!
Posted via Mobile Device
72step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 09:51 AM   #450
wjjeeper

Less talk. More pictures.......