The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-23-2008, 03:04 PM   #1
70ChevyCST

Fierce Gasoline smell in cab again!!

Well here goes again...Had some transmission work done on the old 70 Chevy CST last Friday...a very hot day...(90+) Anyways ....the trans. guy had just test drove it before I got there to pick it up...and it had about a 1/2 tank of gas in her at the time. When I arrived you would have thought someone dumped a 1/2 gal of gas inside the cab....man it was strong...I drove it home...couldn't stand it so I reached out the window and unscrewed the gas cap....I heard the pressure relieve.....pffffff. Well .....that tells me it had nowhere to vent except maybe inside through the sending unit gasket??...Perhaps I have the wrong cap on the truck??? As far as I know it's an unvented tank...Can't see any vent line back there when I swing the seat forward.?...Also....Can't see any evidence of gas leaking anywhere either...It's a new tank and looks like a new sending unit too. I believe the guy that restored the truck replaced all this stuff...Does anyone know if I need a "special" vented gas cap?....Without it will I be experiencing this type of problem...Any first hand experience would be greatly appreciated.

Bob
I'm a grateful Christian not perfect in any way, but always striving to become better with Christ's help. I'm grateful for what He did for me on that cross at Calvary. I hope there is a desire in your heart for the same: If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. Romans 10:9
70ChevyCST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 03:15 PM   #2
steelhorse

Re: Fierce Gasoline smell in cab again!!

It has to vent somewhere either the cap of some other way.
steelhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 03:20 PM   #3
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Here is a related thread...

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ghlight=vented

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 03:40 PM   #4
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

quickest way to figure it out is go to the parts store and get a cap for a 70. They are avalible and cheap.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 04:17 PM   #5
d10s69c10
Built 4 Speed

Well When i had My Fierce Gas Smell in My Cab It Was not my Cap or Vent Line's Fuel Delivery Or Return Line.

Rust From Water Inside The Tank Had Perforated A Spot About the Size Of a Penny Int The Center Of my Tank. and Gas DRipped out about 1 minute Between Drops.

Replaced Tank Problem Over.

oh yeah i also noticed in my Cab when i removed tank the "puddle Stains" seemed to run to the passenger side of my Truck behind the seat into the Black hole. might help if you have a similar problem

"To Be Old And Wise, First You Must Be Young And Stupid"

Last edited by d10s69c10; 07-23-2008 at 04:21 PM.
d10s69c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 04:25 PM   #6
Longhorn Man

his tank is new... so it isn't likely
Old 07-23-2008, 05:36 PM   #7
Classic Heartbeat
Project Junkie! Fishing Poor!!

The problem is the cap. It should be a vented cap. The exess pressure most likely cause fumes to make it past the seal on the stud on the sending unit. The one that the wire for the gas gauge is plugged in to. WES
Call us Toll Free (888) 338-2502
Like Us on Facebook
No appointment necessary.
72 BB Chevy Custom Deluxe / Custom Camper
67 I-6 (Soon to be 5.7 LS1) Panel
68 BB Chevy Short Bed
72 6.0 LQ9 Short Bed Chevy 4X4
Olympia's fastest growing truck parts supplier.
Olympia's home for Wayward Chevys
Classic Heartbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:06 AM   #8
70ChevyCST

Wow...Thanks for all the help guys...After I get a vented gas cap is there any other action I need to take?...like replace sending unit seals? Have they been compromised now that they were pressurized/have leaked? I am amazed at how bad the truck still stinks of gas! I'm installing a Classic Sound stereo in the truck right now....and last night when I was done working my clothes, hair reeked of gas fumes. Man, I hope this gas stench subsides....This happened last Friday afternoon and the truck has been parked in my garage ever since! This stinks!......Thanks again for all your help.

Bob

I'm a grateful Christian not perfect in any way, but always striving to become better with Christ's help. I'm grateful for what He did for me on that cross at Calvary. I hope there is a desire in your heart for the same: If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. Romans 10:9
Old 07-24-2008, 09:38 AM   #9
Longhorn Man

you may end up havin to scrub the seat and carpet, but everything else should be fine.
I wouldn't put it in the garage right now though. If it smells as bad as you have it pictured in my mint, then it is an explosion hazard.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:52 AM   #10
70ChevyCST

I hear exactly what you're saying. Thanks...I have left the windows of the truck open....have opened the windows in the garage for cross ventilation. The smell has gotten much better in the garage....but in the truck itself, it's definitely still there...The first few nights I definitely should have left it outdoors! I imagine it's gotten into the seat stuffing...rug etc...Thanks for the precautionary advice. Maybe a few days outside (when it isn't raining and it's windy) may help the situation...

Bob
Old 07-24-2008, 12:33 PM   #11
steelhorse

Put a couple of boxes of baking soda it it,and some febreeze
steelhorse is offline   Reply With Quote