The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-01-2018, 09:51 AM   #301
Old57

Re: 57 GMC, frame swap, 4wd, 454 big block, 4 speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjzepplin View Post
Very nice trucks for sure! My wife loves to get in my truck as the view is spectacular versus her Toyota. The problem is I have to lift her up to get her in or out. I am probably gonna drop the body lift off and see where I am at. From there, the four inch lift may stay or my failing hips may dictate another change. I am about 50 now so I have to get all this wrenching out of my system before I cannot do it anymore. HAHA! Then again she complains that the Trans Am is too low for her. I don't listen anyway...
Thanks! I hear ya... my wife loves the high stance. I've had several other lifted trucks and vans that were higher than this, so shes ok with it. But I do think a nice looking step under the rockers will be a good idea. I'm finally making some decent progress on this thing, but it will still be a while before I can get it painted. I'm going to get it all built and drive it for a while, then when I can afford to paint it, I'll take it back apart for that. It looks all Frankenstein with the green aircraft primer and other primer spots, but if you can get past that, it is built nice and everything is new or rebuilt.
Old 11-01-2018, 10:51 AM   #302
rgunlock

Love the look of your truck. My original plan for my '59 was to make it 4x4. Then I built a different 4x4 and decided I'd do something else with the '59 (haven't started yet). Your truck has me thinking I may have to go back to the original plan!

78 GMC K15 SWB, 350/NV4500/NP205/4.10s Project Hazel
71 GMC C25 350/TH400 - Project Angie
59 Chevy SWB Stepside (next in line? Not sure now )
2001 GMC Sierra K2500
rgunlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 11:04 AM   #303
Old57

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgunlock View Post
Love the look of your truck. My original plan for my '59 was to make it 4x4. Then I built a different 4x4 and decided I'd do something else with the '59 (haven't started yet). Your truck has me thinking I may have to go back to the original plan!
Thanks! I say go 4x4 on your 59!
Old 11-01-2018, 11:10 AM   #304
vintovka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old57 View Post
I just measured mine, and it is 26" off the ground to the bottom of the rockers. I'll make a nice step off the frame to make it a little friendlier to get in.
26"!!!!!!!!!!!! Ladder, stepstool, elevator, RV power steps?

I used to do egonomics as part of being a design engineer. 12-13" is about max for comfortable safe step. Hoop or bar type steps seem to pose a leg breaking hazard or two.

With all the trash and debris on roads around here higher and 4x4 are a must. Last two low vehicles had major damage from hitting road trash. One took a hit from a 1' square piece of 3/8" plywood that got sucked up and took out fuel line and tank. The other hit a vise that fell off a utility truck --left a trail of diesel 2' wide for miles!!
vintovka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 11:14 AM   #305
Old57

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintovka View Post
26"!!!!!!!!!!!! Ladder, stepstool, elevator, RV power steps?

I used to do egonomics as part of being a design engineer. 12-13" is about max for comfortable safe step. Hoop or bar type steps seem to pose a leg breaking hazard or two.
Yes, and add 1 or 2 inches to the actual step, so its really up there. I've had other rigs that were higher, so its workable, but I'll make something before long. I still have a lot of things to finish on it.
Old 11-01-2018, 04:50 PM   #306
Purcell69

Quote:
I stopped by Bowtie Bits and ordered a new windshield, so it should be here soon. I got the receiver hitch installed, and got the fuel filler hose and vent hose connected to the 32 gallon suburban tank, then put the bed on the frame and bolted it down. I need to get the insides of the rear fenders coated so I can bolt them on. I'll finish my fuel filler neck and cap in the driver side fender after I get the fenders fit on the bed. I don't think it's going to get mistaken for being a low rider...
This truck keeps looking better and better! I've always been a fan of these in the 4wd configuration and the long bed helps to carry the look in my opinion. You're making fantastic progress. The rain down here in OK has slowed me down a bit this year and I'm starting to consider what I'll be doing between now and winter storage.

I haven't checked my step in height yet, but I'd guess it's in the 20" range as well, not that I had a really tall truck in mind to begin with, but due to the frame layout on the Dodge chassis I used, I ended up there anyway.

Keep up the great work!

-Joe

Edit- I just checked where mine is sitting. My door sills are at my knee caps, 21.5” off the ground. I can see where 26” would be. Steps are definitely a must. ��

Last edited by Purcell69; 11-01-2018 at 05:52 PM.
Purcell69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 04:54 PM   #307
vintovka

Quote:
Yes, and add 1 or 2 inches to the actual step, so its really up there. I've had other rigs that were higher, so its workable, but I'll make something before long. I still have a lot of things to finish on it.
I ruined my 87 GMC Van Column by using it as a grab handle to get in before i added the power steps. (Us old farts have shrinking inseams)
Old 11-01-2018, 07:20 PM   #308
joedoh

Quote:
carry a step stool

looking great, shes a big girl but very trim!

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 09:50 AM   #309
Old57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purcell69 View Post
This truck keeps looking better and better! I've always been a fan of these in the 4wd configuration and the long bed helps to carry the look in my opinion. You're making fantastic progress. The rain down here in OK has slowed me down a bit this year and I'm starting to consider what I'll be doing between now and winter storage.

I haven't checked my step in height yet, but I'd guess it's in the 20" range as well, not that I had a really tall truck in mind to begin with, but due to the frame layout on the Dodge chassis I used, I ended up there anyway.

Keep up the great work!

-Joe

Edit- I just checked where mine is sitting. My door sills are at my knee caps, 21.5” off the ground. I can see where 26” would be. Steps are definitely a must. ��
Thanks Joe, I had this truck built in my mind for a long time, and it's finally becoming a reality. I wanted the long bed too. I know a lot of guys don't like them, but I plan on using the truck and wanted the long bed for that, plus I also think it just has the right look being 4x4 and a long bed. I'm using the 73 K20 chassis with 4" lift front springs and ORD shackle flip in the rear, and this is how it sits with 33" tires. I'm happy with how it is turning out. I see your truck is making progress too, looking good!
Old 11-02-2018, 09:52 AM   #310
Old57

Quote:
I ruined my 87 GMC Van Column by using it as a grab handle to get in before i added the power steps. (Us old farts have shrinking inseams)
Yes, that is a quick way to ruin a column!
Old 11-02-2018, 09:56 AM   #311
Old57

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
carry a step stool

looking great, shes a big girl but very trim!
Haha! Yes, shes tall, but skinny! I didn't want fat tires sticking out with wide wheels. I used stock K20 6 1/2" steel wheels and hubcaps. I almost got bias ply tires that were even narrower and taller, but I wanted a good tire to drive on. These are 255/85-16, which measures 33".
Old 11-02-2018, 10:06 AM   #312
Old57

I picked up my new windshield at Bowtie bits. I wanted a clear one, but that was special order with a month wait and twice the cost, so I got one with a tinted strip across the top. I guess it'll look ok, and better than the stock cracked one that I took out at the first of the build. I have a glass guy coming by Tuesday morning to install the windshield and back glass. I've always done my own windshield and glass installs, but for some reason I just thought I need to let a pro do this one. He is good with the hot rod / street rod stuff, so he was my choice for this. I even installed my own glass in a 59 El Camino I had years ago, by myself, but maybe it's the height of the truck that is causing me to not be comfortable with doing it, I don't know. Anyway, hopefully Tuesday morning I'll have glass in it. Well, not the door glass yet. I need to take my door windows and wing windows to the glass shop to have new ones installed in the frames. After that, I should be ready to assemble the door windows with new seals and hardware. I have everything new for all that. It's nice having Bowtie Bits here in town. I have bought a ton of parts from him, and I think everything that I've bought was in stock except for the windshield and one patch panel back when I was fixing the cab rust.
Old 11-02-2018, 01:52 PM   #313
Old57

I had to stick the rear fenders on with a few bolts to check it out. I'd say all of my measuring, figuring, frame shortening, etc. worked out perfect. The rear wheels fit just right in the fender openings. I'm about to get the fuel filler cap installed in the driver side rear fender so I can finish making my filler neck and vent.
Attached Images

Old 11-02-2018, 07:38 PM   #314
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Haha....I did the same thing with my rear fender....couldn't stand not seeing how it would look

Are you installing the glass before paint?...

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver

Last edited by mongocanfly; 11-04-2018 at 10:11 AM.
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 07:54 PM   #315
Purcell69

Quote:
I had to stick the rear fenders on with a few bolts to check it out. I'd say all of my measuring, figuring, frame shortening, etc. worked out perfect. The rear wheels fit just right in the fender openings. I'm about to get the fuel filler cap installed in the driver side rear fender so I can finish making my filler neck and vent.
Lol, I was going to hang my rear fenders this afternoon, for winter storage, but I had a few other projects to attend to. I think it is safe to say your measurements are right on.

-Joe
Old 11-04-2018, 05:47 PM   #316
Old57

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
Haha....I did the same thing with my rear fender....couldn't stand not seeing how it would look

Are you installing the glass before paint?...
The interior and window jambs are painted. I'm installing the glass Tuesday morning. I'm going to finish the truck in everything except paint and drive it a while. When I can get it painted, I'll take it back apart for the paint job.
Old 11-04-2018, 05:50 PM   #317
Old57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purcell69 View Post
Lol, I was going to hang my rear fenders this afternoon, for winter storage, but I had a few other projects to attend to. I think it is safe to say your measurements are right on.

-Joe
Thanks, it's good to see it looking like something besides piles of parts. Hopefully you can get a little more done on yours before the weather turns cold.
Old 11-04-2018, 05:59 PM   #318
Old57

Big blocks get thirsty, so I needed to have a way to give it a drink... I mounted an aluminum flip up fuel cap in the driver side rear fender, and made a filler neck out of small exhaust tubing to connect the cap and the filler neck on the tank under the bed. The vent line is 11/16" braided fuel hose from a local hot rod supply shop.

I also had plenty of "guard doggin" while I worked in the shop...
Attached Images

Old 11-04-2018, 07:09 PM   #319
vintovka

I think having the filler up high will help. Mine is too low and tends to "burp"
Old 11-05-2018, 10:59 PM   #320
Old57

Quote:
I think having the filler up high will help. Mine is too low and tends to "burp"
Yes, at first I thought about putting the filler in the back of the fender, but decided to do it in the rear top. It should fill with fuel good, and has a good size vent. I poured in about 7 gallons out of a large can pretty fast with no burping back.
Old 11-05-2018, 11:43 PM   #321
vintovka

Quote:
Yes, at first I thought about putting the filler in the back of the fender, but decided to do it in the rear top. It should fill with fuel good, and has a good size vent. I poured in about 7 gallons out of a large can pretty fast with no burping back.
Mine is about 4 " lower than yours. It will take gas as fast as you can pump it but "burps" right when the filler cuts off. Hard to gauge when its nearly full and here in OR we mostly have attendants so fill ups are always interesting.
Old 11-06-2018, 10:53 PM   #322
Old57

The glass guy came by this morning. He had the front windshield and back glass installed in about 30 minutes. The windshield fit pretty nice. I was hoping there wouldn't be any issues because of it being aftermarket. I talked to the glass guy about my door and wing windows. He's going to cut new glass and install them in the frames for me, so I'll get them to him soon. I also hooked up the new front park/signal lights and tested them out. I have the headlight buckets blasted and ready for a coat of paint, so I'll get the headlights installed the next chance I get. I took some measurements today for a rear bumper. I'm trying to decide if I want to make a custom bumper, or use a stock one. I don't want to make something that doesn't go with the look of the truck, but I also have wiring ran for back-up lights, so I may make one to work with those. Still deciding...
Attached Images

Old 11-06-2018, 11:40 PM   #323
mongocanfly
Post Whore

DANG!!! That looks killer!!

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 11:40 PM   #324
Black_Sheep

It's coming together real nice Gabe
Black_Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 11:45 PM   #325
Old57

Thanks guys, I'm really happy with the look and the stance. It should turn out to be a pretty good truck. It'll be a while before I can get it painted, but otherwise it is turning out just how I wanted it.