The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-19-2015, 09:52 AM   #26
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Re: Best replacement doors to buy

Honestly, with the pics above, I don't see "good fitting" doors at all. I see non factory looking bends/creases, and the door edges are wavy and all over the place. All can be fixed with a grinder, filler rod, and filler, but why put an inferior door on your truck when you can repair the factory doors?

I made the mistake of using aftermarket doors years ago (goodmark - Tri Plus Doors) and they're a tin can. I shut the PS door too hard one day and the handle dented in. I was furious. However, the *new* doors (I think those made in the past couple of years) ARE now thicker metal, however, I am still in no way impressed with their bends and gaps. Even so, you'd have to inspect them in person before you buy to make sure they're not the left over thinner skin doors.

Also, EASY way to spot aftermarket or GM doors on a truck. EVERY factory door ever made has a very soft, almost unnoticeable curve on the front 1" of the door. Aftermarket doors are straight all the way to the edge. I believe this was to aid in the door opening not hitting the fender (sloppy tolerances back then). I'd be willing to bet I could spot aftermarket doors on even a high quality show truck 95% of the time.

I saved my original doors, I just didn't have the time or skill 10 years ago that I have now to fix them (they're not bad at all, just a little rust in the corners and 2 giant speaker holes per door!) They're going back on the truck in the next couple of years during her 3rd redo in 18 years.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 11:01 AM   #27
Ian71GMC

Smile Re: Best replacement doors to buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by big mike71 View Post
x2! Very nice and well-informed. Nice quality ORIGINAL stuff. The white driver's side door in the second picture is on my GMC.
Old 05-19-2015, 08:38 PM   #28
54belair

I can see both sides of this issue. I believe I see nsandhotrodz saying that they have good product AND with Their expertise--They can produce a great fitting door.

I am also a member of the truck enthusiasts who have previously fought "the Door War".
I have not worked on many of these trucks (thank God----while I love mine and enjoyed helping a friend with his---I never want to do another one!!). I have had some experience with other old steel---and with using aftermarket parts.

I believe, as I said that nsanehotrodz can produce a good fitting door-----But, I seriously doubt that they can take one out of the box, do whatever to it and guarantee it will fit MY truck (or anyones for that matter. It just wont happen.

At the same time, oem doors will/may take some tweeking for a perfect fit---BUT, If you start with oem doors, you are guaranteed that every oem door was made from GM stampings--with good quality American made steel. It is a documented fact that Chinese steel is inferior (no, I don't currently have that documentation) and it is also known that the Chinese stampings are not "GM" correct.
While Id never vote for fighting rust on a door or any other panel-----at least with OEM stampings you know they are dimentionally correct BEFOE you start rework ing them.

Believe it or not, there are doors out there that have no rust issues ( I know that's a pretty bold statement--but they can be found. I found mine in Phoenix---Zero rust, zero dents---but I still had to do a little contour work to make them fit my cab. My cab probably had some body work at some time before I bought it--I know I had to do rockers and floors so who knows what else was done before me. I am keeping the second best set of doors that I found just to try and avoid this problem in the future

This is a good thread----it deals with an issue close to all of us!!!
1966 chevelle ss

Dont always go the cheapest route--You can save yourself into the poorhouse!
My Build Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489030
54belair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 12:30 AM   #29
1972K20

There does seem to be benefits to using new aftermarket doors. These trucks never came from the factory with a perfect fit.
1972K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 12:54 AM   #30
In The Ten Ring

I am going to try and get my original doors welded up at some point, hopefully next summer.

I heard of a set of NOS doors but those are $3K. Y E A H.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote