The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-21-2018, 09:04 PM   #1
jared.landis

bent frame?

i have a 97 rcsb that was hit from behind. the bed made contact with the cab and looks like the frame is bent. is there any data points anyone is aware of that someone might be able to measure with a tape measure? i am planning on taking it to a frame shop but thought i would give this a try first.
Attached Images

jared.landis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 01:13 AM   #2
EVRLET

Re: bent frame?

Maybe this will assist you...take a gander

https://www.gmupfitter.com/publicat/...B/LDPDF/CK.PDF
Old 03-22-2018, 06:38 AM   #3
sntrym95

Try pulling the bed off first and visually inspecting the frame. It's possible that the bed bolts sheared off or bent causing the bed to hit the cab.
Posted via Mobile Device
sntrym95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 09:22 AM   #4
mountie

I agree with sntrym95... the bed bolts are the weakest points... also, a bent frame may cause the wheels to, not track straight , but sometimes, the rear axle could be miss-aligned, showing a symptom of a bend frame. Whoever hit you... their insurance should pay for an axle alignment no matter what.

( I used to be an independent insurance adjuster)

.... also, I notice the photo shows no bumper installed.... ( did you take it off after collision?)

Some insurance companies may put you in a degree of responsibility for damage due to no bumper. Check out your state law on that issue.
'93 Mercedes SL 500 Teal
'86 Yamaha FZ750 - 15,000 RPM
'86 Yamaha FJ1200 - Criminally Fast
2016 Ferrari 488 GTB, I drive it - don't own it.
'05 GMC Yukon XL , SLT 4wd ( just purchased 2018)

Last edited by mountie; 03-23-2018 at 09:29 AM.
mountie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 08:25 PM   #5
jared.landis

well i was able to get underneath the truck today. i live in an apartment complex so pulling the bed is not an option right now. i inspected the mounting bolts for the bed. i did not see any trauma to the bolts or the frame in that area. i even tried to push up on the bed to see if it was loose (if the bolts were sheared and i just couldn't see) and it didn't move.

mountie, no i didn't not remove the bumper. it had a roll pan on it when i bought it 14 years ago.

since i have your attention, i also have another question. when the time comes to take it to a frame shop, will i be able to get a quote from the shop without being obligated to go through with the repair. i only ask this because my budget is VERY limited at this time.
Old 03-25-2018, 12:04 AM   #6
Mr_Rich

If you didn't see any shifting on the mounting points of the pickup bed on the frame something took up distance when the bed hit the back of the cab and it probably means a bent frame. Just about every pickup I've ever owned has taken a hit on the back bumper which clearly showed some shifting on the mounting holes of the bumper, for example. You could probably measure the frame yourself using some string or fishing line measuring equal points on the frame in an X pattern. When my Hummer H3T took a rear end hit insurance only wanted to pay for a bumper. I asked about getting the frame checked and wasn't getting any help there so I wound up adjusting the bed on the frame myself since it shifted a small amount. I was lucky on that one. I keep a tow pintle in my receiver hitch now so if anyone bangs in to me they're going to be late to wherever they planned to go.
1997 K2500 Chev. EC 7.4L/ 4L80E
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 HD R/C
Mr_Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 07:12 AM   #7
54 jimmy

could have been that the bed rails took the brunt on the force and sprung back after the impact. they are like a c-channel running width wise across the bed. see if they look a little distorted. sheet metal will usual give first before steel. I have seen this before especially with roll pans on trucks. yours looks like a fairly high to even hit. maybe you will get lucky. pic below should help you out.
Attached Images

2008jeep patriot (wife's daily driver
2008 chevy 1500 ext cab 4x4 sold
2011 chevy 1500 crew cab ltz (daily driver)
1996 chevy 1500 reg cab 4x4 project sold
2006 pontiac grand prix gxp (daily work commuter)
54 jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 10:06 AM   #8
mountie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jared.landis View Post
well i was able to get underneath the truck today. i live in an apartment complex so pulling the bed is not an option right now. i inspected the mounting bolts for the bed. i did not see any trauma to the bolts or the frame in that area. i even tried to push up on the bed to see if it was loose (if the bolts were sheared and i just couldn't see) and it didn't move.

mountie, no i didn't not remove the bumper. it had a roll pan on it when i bought it 14 years ago.

since i have your attention, i also have another question. when the time comes to take it to a frame shop, will i be able to get a quote from the shop without being obligated to go through with the repair. i only ask this because my budget is VERY limited at this time.
jared... Since you were rear ended.. ( Are you in a State that is a "no fault" state? ) Anyway, the 'insured' ( the other guy ) .. Their insurance should cover everything... & You, NO NOT settle that you were not injured... yet..... until your truck is repaired. Have a good body shop confirm a bent frame - & confirm it is actually bent ( some shops will claim a bent frame for the extra money ( not all adjusters know how to tell if it's a fact, it's bent)....

I may be running on...... But YOUR insurance company ADJUSTER 'should' be doing all the homework . AT NO COST TO YOU....
YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY IS SUPPOSED TO be repaid from the other company that hit you.

If your bed rails were bent, you could either take a "cash allowence" for the damage or demand a new bed - painted to match.
'93 Mercedes SL 500 Teal
Old 03-25-2018, 05:10 PM   #9
jared.landis

54 jimmy...i didn't think about the bed rails flexing. i will have to check that out when i am under it next time.

mountie...its a long story but i was not driving it when the accident accorded. the truck was in my dads name and he was the one driving it. i signed it over to him a few years ago because he needed a vehicle at the time. now that this has happened, and the insurance company found it to be totaled since the repairs were greater than 70% of the vehicles worth, i wanted the truck back. so he took the settlement to keep the truck and now i have it. I'm sure you can understand, but this truck has a lot of sentimental value to it and neither he nor i could let it go. so now that it is back in my "hands" i am going to have to repair it on my own dime. i want to get the fame taken care of (if needed) and throw a bumper on it and drive it. but i live in a different state than my parents so it will have to go through inspection before then too.

i have been on and off this site for a long time now trying to absorb all the info i could, just hadn't needed it until now. ;-) so your info is much appreciated and not being lost. just need to take it step by step and get it back on the road.

again you guys are awesome to take the time out of your day to help me.

thanks.
Old 03-25-2018, 06:30 PM   #10
mountie

I think the body damage is all you will have to worry about.....
The 'crush' doesn't appear to affect the frame anyway.

The insurance info- bit was if you had an active loss.

That's a good truck.
'93 Mercedes SL 500 Teal
Old 03-25-2018, 08:21 PM   #11
Mr_Rich

Guys, Take another look at his top photo. That sucker is clearly bent. The body lines are NOT straight. I see a shallow "V". That is not normal.
1997 K2500 Chev. EC 7.4L/ 4L80E
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 HD R/C
Mr_Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 07:51 AM   #12
95 S_Trucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Rich View Post
Guys, Take another look at his top photo. That sucker is clearly bent. The body lines are NOT straight. I see a shallow "V". That is not normal.
I agree. There are 2 things that cause that, a bent frame or bad cab bushings/supports.
95 S_Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 08:56 AM   #13
mountie

I was just being optimistic
It may "look like" a bent frame, but it can't be confirmed

Maybe he can give us an update later...

Pic of a demolition derby car I painted...
Attached Images

'93 Mercedes SL 500 Teal