The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-04-2013, 08:15 PM   #51
Hart_Rod

Re: Gauges used for LSx swaps

Quick update guys. I finally got enough wiring done on my install so I could at least test the gauges and after a few trial and errors, I got everything working!!!! Using the Dakota Digital VHX gauges and their OBD BIM interface, I'm able to pull just about everything the CAN BUS monitors and display it on my gauge interface, Check engine light, speed, tach, water temp, oil press, tranny temp, IAT, OAT, and I even got it to display the gear indication!!!! I'm extremely happy right now and I can't wait to fire this bad boy up, . Crash I also figured out a way to wire up the BIM so you don't have to jam up your OBDII port. Let me know if you want the info. Sorry for my exuberance, but it was a banner day on moving my build forward.
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 06:58 AM   #52
eagleuh1

Hartrod, does the PCM receive oil pressure data on the 2005 5.3 ? It doesn't pull up on my HPTuners,
I assumed the PCM didn't receive it. All these are some nice gauge setups.
eagleuh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:43 AM   #53
kevmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_Rod View Post
Quick update guys. I finally got enough wiring done on my install so I could at least test the gauges and after a few trial and errors, I got everything working!!!! Using the Dakota Digital VHX gauges and their OBD BIM interface, I'm able to pull just about everything the CAN BUS monitors and display it on my gauge interface, Check engine light, speed, tach, water temp, oil press, tranny temp, IAT, OAT, and I even got it to display the gear indication!!!! I'm extremely happy right now and I can't wait to fire this bad boy up, . Crash I also figured out a way to wire up the BIM so you don't have to jam up your OBDII port. Let me know if you want the info. Sorry for my exuberance, but it was a banner day on moving my build forward.
Hart, good work. Can you show how you wired the BIM mod? Wanna do the same but want my OBD2 left open. Thanx
kevmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:48 AM   #54
Crash_OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleuh1 View Post
Hartrod, does the PCM receive oil pressure data on the 2005 5.3 ? It doesn't pull up on my HPTuners,
Yes, I would also like to understand how this is working..

Crash's 69 4x4 SWB

Crash's Roof over Lake Home

Crash's 1988 Land Cruiser Build
Crash_OK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:51 AM   #55
Crash_OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_Rod View Post
Hart_Rod,

Great news on getting the gauges working. Please send the info on how you keep the OBDII port open, also any info on the oil pressure working via the PCM. It am certain that was not a option when I set my gauges up. Maybe you have a newer firmware for you gauges..

Once again great news on getting everything working.. Have a great day, and good luck with the rest of your build..

Crash's 69 4x4 SWB

Crash's Roof over Lake Home

Crash's 1988 Land Cruiser Build
Crash_OK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 12:41 PM   #56
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleuh1 View Post
Eagle - I'm not sure. Do you have a factory sending unit that is wired into the harness? If you can't find it in HPTuners, my guess is that the computer doesn't monitor it, or at least it doesn't make it available on the CAN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmac View Post
Hart, good work. Can you show how you wired the BIM mod? Wanna do the same but want my OBD2 left open. Thanx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash_OK View Post
Yes, I would also like to understand how this is working..

You can do it a couple different ways. You can buy a splitter that plugs into your OBDII port and then splits to a 9 pin on the other end and as a well as another OBDII port. I bought the cable off of Amazon for around $20 shipped (I have a part number some where). I did this originally and then decided to call Dakota Digital about hard wiring it.

Basically what it boils down to is this, on my OBDII port from the factory harness, Pin # is the CAN HI (tan and black wire) and Pin # is the CAN LOW (tan wire). From the DB9 pin plug I determined that this equated to Pin #3 for the CAN HI (purple wire on mine, not sure of the color standardization) and Pin #5 for the CAN LOW (grey wire on mine, not sure of the color standardization) . So, I just cut my DB9 pin cable and spliced those 2 wire into the harness. Pretty straight forward. For you guys that haven't ordered your wiring harness, you can ask the person building to pull these 2 wires separately for you and you won't have to mess with the OBDII port.

Just for for full disclosure, , my engine/tranny is a 2013 58x system with CAN BUS architecture. I'm not sure if all of this applies to your setups. I would recommend calling Dakota Digital and inquire about your particular engine/tranny combo.

Quote:
Hart_Rod,

Great news on getting the gauges working. Please send the info on how you keep the OBDII port open, also any info on the oil pressure working via the PCM. It am certain that was not a option when I set my gauges up. Maybe you have a newer firmware for you gauges..

Once again great news on getting everything working.. Have a great day, and good luck with the rest of your build..
Crash - you may be right on the firmware changing. I talked to Dakota Digital several times about the oil pressure and was told no at first, and later was told maybe and then a couple of days ago I was told it might possibly work. The guy that told me possibly, did ask my the firmware date on my BIM-01-1. Mine was dated September, so I'm not sure if that made a difference or not. Let me know if you have any more questions. Sorry for the long winded post, .
Attached Images

Old 10-08-2013, 12:51 PM   #57
Hart_Rod

Just a quick update. Apparently the CANBUS doesn't like two scanners plugged in at once (gauges & handheld scan tool). So, don't rewire anything yet. I'm still doing some research to see if there is a work-around for this, but as of right now, having the OBDII port unblocked provides no benefit..... More to follow!
Old 10-08-2013, 10:28 PM   #58
jorgensensc

Hart, did you use a y-splitter? I just ordered one for the suburban. I read a ton of reviews and from what I read, some splitters will and some won't. I'll let you know what mine does.
Shawn

-What would you attempt to achieve if you knew you could not fail?-

-I Refuse To Tiptoe Through Life, Only To Arrive Safely At Death's Door-

R.I.P. EAST SIDE LOW LIFE
jorgensensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:36 PM   #59
68GMCCustom
Truck and auto performance nut

I know that you can run 2 Aeroforce Interceptors on a CAN system...they make a CAN dual cable that you use if using 2 Interceptors....which other then logging and scans would give you 4 live results (2 per scan gauge) like trans temp, speed, mpg, rpm, etc.
Maybe you can use their dual cable?

http://www.aeroforcetech.com/accessories.html

'68 GMC short step - NIB '09 LY6 6.0L crate motor w/mods, NIB '12 crate 4L85e w/billet 3k stall Circle D, 3.73 posi 12 bolt, DynaTech f-swap headers, 3/4 drop, handling mods, etc. - my toy
'72 Chevy LWB C-10 Highlander - 350/350 ps/pb/tilt/ac - not original but close
'06 Chevy TrailBlazerSS - LS2/4L70e - little black hot rod SUV - my DD
'18 Kia Sorento - wife's econo-driver
'95 Chevy S10 - reg cab shortbed, LS, 4.3, auto...

my '68's powertrain and chassis build -links broken
A surprise phase - carb to efi -links broken
68GMCCustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:21 AM   #60
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgensensc View Post
Hart, did you use a y-splitter? I just ordered one for the suburban. I read a ton of reviews and from what I read, some splitters will and some won't. I'll let you know what mine does.
Shawn
I did it 2 different ways, one with a Y splitter and another with the 2 wires that John pulled from the computer (CAN Hi/Low). As long as the gauges are plugged in and "scanning", the diagnostic tool won't work. I talked to John at Speartech and he said his gauges are designed to turn off whenever the diagnostic tool requests data from the OBDII port. I'll be interested to see if your cable works and your gauges continue to display. LMK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68GMCCustom View Post
I know that you can run 2 Aeroforce Interceptors on a CAN system...they make a CAN dual cable that you use if using 2 Interceptors....which other then logging and scans would give you 4 live results (2 per scan gauge) like trans temp, speed, mpg, rpm, etc.
Maybe you can use their dual cable?

http://www.aeroforcetech.com/accessories.html
Thanks I'll have to look into that also.
Old 10-10-2013, 01:07 PM   #61
nickbwilson

Does anyone have the gauge cluster wiring diagram for a 1986 suburban im wiring from a 86 to a 90 for my ls swap thanks
nickbwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:06 PM   #62
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Shawn
Any updates on this Shawn?
Old 10-21-2013, 07:49 PM   #63
jorgensensc

No joy on my end. I thought worked for a minute, but then nope. Stopped the gauges from functioning. The scanner worked though. I may leave it in so I don't have to unplug the gauges just to hook up the scanner. Shawn

Old 10-25-2013, 09:56 AM   #64
Hart_Rod

Quote:
No joy on my end. I thought worked for a minute, but then nope. Stopped the gauges from functioning. The scanner worked though. I may leave it in so I don't have to unplug the gauges just to hook up the scanner. Shawn
Yeah, I don't see a work around on this yet....maybe in the future....
Old 11-01-2013, 01:57 PM   #65
jorgensensc

From what Speedhut says, their gauges scan just like a scanner. If it sees something else scanning the gauges quit scanning as a safety measure.

Old 03-03-2014, 07:31 PM   #66
Hart_Rod

Quote:
The only sensor used was the oil pressure. Everthing else comes from the PCM (speed, tach, and water temp). 2005 5.3, with the factory harness I modified.
Crash - I think I may have found the answer to this. I was talking to the guy building the harness for my son's truck and he told me you can go into the tune and turn this feature on. Here's a screenshot of where you go in HPTuners. Go to system, and select the options tab. Then add a 1 in the oil pressure column. Let me know if it works.
Attached Images

Old 05-10-2015, 08:05 AM   #67
XtremelyLow

Hey where did u get the 4 speed selector?

Quote:
Dakota Digital VHX with their PCM interface. The speed, RPM, Water Temp, etc are feed to the gauges via the PCM.

XtremelyLow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 07:28 PM   #68
jessemthompson

I just got a set of the Dakota VHX gauges in carbon and red. I'm looking forward to installing them. I like the simplicity of using the CAN adapter.
jessemthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 07:54 PM   #69
solidaxel

I just opened up the instructions and started inventorying parts and I am sure glad you folks have all the programing worked out for the V H X series.
........... got the water and oil figered out!
Is there a wire from the VSS that connects to the D D to indicate the Gear or do you need the mechanical set up they mentioned, for the 4L60E

They will be more questions, so thanks ahead of time!
53 TuTone Extended Cab 350 4-Spd 3:08 (SOLD)
53 Chevy Moldy pearl green ZZ-4 4L60E 9" 3:25
55 GMC 1st Black Mll (ZZ4) ZZ6 TKO 600 5 sp 3:73
62 Solidaxle Corvette Roman Red (327
340hp 4spd 3:36) C4 & C5 suspension tube chassis
LS 3 4L70E
65 Corvette Coupe 327 350hp 4spd 4:11
78 Black Silverado SWB (350/350) 5.3 & 4L60E 3:42
2000 S-Type 3.0 (wife cruiser)
2003 GMC SCSB 5.3 4L60E 3:42
solidaxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 07:54 PM   #70
Aruba1

Fitting the escalade cluster is my next mod. What year should I get or which ones should I avoid?
Aruba1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 07:58 PM   #71
Operatorfailure

Get a cluster that matches the year range of your computer. 99-02 or 03-06 or somewhere around there.
Old 03-03-2016, 03:27 PM   #72
Billyburban

Quote:
Originally Posted by TchncnDen View Post
Between my crappy camera and limited space it's hard to get a good picture, but these are a little better. I think I am going to redo my plexiglass face and bring the mask in a little tighter, but other than that I'm very happy with these. Here is a pinout on how to wire them up.

Pin color use
A1-2-not used
A3---pink------fused ignition feed
A4---not used
A5---tan/wht--brake warning indicator lamp input NOT USED
A6-7-not used
A8---brwn/wht-SES light
A9---not used
A10--orn-------fused battery feed
A11--not used
A12--lt blu------left turn input
A13--ppl/wht---seat belt indicator NOT USED
A14-16-not used
A17--lt grn------high beam indicator

B1---brn--------park lamp feed
B2---not used
B3---gry--------security indicator input
B4---not used
B5---ppl/wht----fused ignition feed
B6---gry--------Class 2 Serial Data ***********
B7---orn/blk-----rear compartment lid ajar indicator NOT USED
B8---dk grn/wht--vehicle speed signal
B9---gry---------instrument cluster lamp feed
B10--dk blu------right turn indicator input
B11--blk----ground
B12-13--not used
B14--tan---------oil pressure gauge input
B15--blk wht------ground
B16-17- not used

I unplugged the ribbon cable to the message center otherwise the security light will always flash when on. The oil pressure switch is different for 99-02 and 03-06 so you have to use the switch of the same year as the cluster. The 03-06 gets its oil pressure from the PCM and the 99-02 is wired direct as above.
How did you get your fuel sending unit to work ? What ohms do you have for the Escalade cluster fuel level to work
Billyburban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 03:31 PM   #73
Billyburban

GM up to 1964 ohms 0-30
GM 1965-97 ohms 0-90
GM 1998 an up ohms 40-250
Billyburban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 10:04 PM   #74
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Gauges used for LSx swaps

Speed hut gauges work great after a couple of gas gauges. Then I figured out my sendor was bad.
I went with the GPS speedometer and it works great.
I also have the scan gauge 2 hooked up all the time straight to the ECU connection with no problems.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 12:07 AM   #75
uxdesigner

I used a panel off EBay that was remarkably easy to install and had very accurate readings. Speedometer was adjustable based on tranny pulses, took a few tries to get it right but it worked. Tip: I used Waze to validate correct speed while driving.

uxdesigner is offline   Reply With Quote