The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading > 4x4 Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-19-2011, 10:18 AM   #1
Crash_OK

Crash's 69 K10

Hello, thought I would introduce my project. I am starting on a ground up restore of my 1972 K10. I purchased the K10 Thursday night and have driven it about 250 miles. I feel comfortable with the mechanical side of the restore (although I am not sure which direction I will be taking). The truck runs and drives good for a 40 year truck, but the body is rough with some bad rust in places. I am a newbie when it comes to bodywork and paint. I am hoping some of you will be able to lead me down the right path when it comes to those areas.

Crash_OK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 09:14 PM   #2
Crash_OK

Re: Crash's 72 K10

Pic's of the tear down.

I knew it was a lwb to swb conversion.. not sure what I think about the way it was done.. on the positive side, it has been this way for years.

Looks like a lot of work.

Hopefully tomorrow I can get frame cleaned up and ready for ??? Por-15, Paint, not sure yet.
Old 11-19-2011, 09:28 PM   #3
jayman68
Fun Stuff

Thats a pretty good start for 3 days. I suppose the tare down goes pretty quick, it's the reassembly that takes longer. Good luck on the project.

68 C10(project)
88 Honda Accord(DD)
93 Chevy Astro EXT 2wd
jayman68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 09:34 PM   #4
Crash_OK

Thanks Jayman.. That was all done today... I am very sore.. :-) And yes you are right it will take much longer to put it back together..
Old 11-19-2011, 09:34 PM   #5
Rich1972C20

Looks great. I posted a message concerning how the rear bumper attaches to the frame on a leaf spring suspension and I see you have one. Do you have picture of how the rear bumper bracket attaches to the frame?
Rich1972C20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 09:46 PM   #6
Crash_OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich1972C20 View Post
Looks great. I posted a message concerning how the rear bumper attaches to the frame on a leaf spring suspension and I see you have one. Do you have picture of how the rear bumper bracket attaches to the frame?
No sorry I do not. The bumper on my truck appeared to be a later model. In fact the PO used 1x4 wood piece for spacers.. I have a good laugh over that.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:18 AM   #7
Crash_OK

Sunday I finished the tear down and started the clean up process.

Next step: Remove the differentials from the frame and start prepping the frame for a new coat of paint.

Any ideas in this area? My thoughts are to clean the frame (by hand or have it sand basted), then coat it with POR-15 and then paint. However, I am looking for advice…

Also, I need to post the wheels and tires for sale along with the engine, transmisson, and transfercase.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:30 AM   #8
tattoed71

looks cool bud
tattoed71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:30 AM   #9
tattoed71

my wifes from altus
tattoed71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:51 PM   #10
72LSK10

You have a sick truck, LB or not, it's a SB now and that's all that matters. Although LB K10's look sweet when they're lifted. Congrats on the frame off, I'm sure it will look sick when you're done with her. You asked for feedback in regards to the diff's. What are your plans with her? Any off-roading? Or will she be a sick K10? This will determine what the diff's call for. I use to rock craw and wheel the heck out of my K10, so she had a built D44 with an ARB chromoly axles, cross over and high steer with PSC hydraulic assist and 4.10's up front, (Brand new D60 in the garage waiting to be dropped in) 14BFF with detroit locker out back. Did awesome off-road, wouldn't need any or all of this if she won't be heavily wheeled.
72LSK10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 12:01 AM   #11
Crash_OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72LSK10 View Post
You have a sick truck, LB or not, it's a SB now and that's all that matters. Although LB K10's look sweet when they're lifted. Congrats on the frame off, I'm sure it will look sick when you're done with her. You asked for feedback in regards to the diff's. What are your plans with her? Any off-roading? Or will she be a sick K10? This will determine what the diff's call for. I use to rock craw and wheel the heck out of my K10, so she had a built D44 with an ARB chromoly axles, cross over and high steer with PSC hydraulic assist and 4.10's up front, (Brand new D60 in the garage waiting to be dropped in) 14BFF with detroit locker out back. Did awesome off-road, wouldn't need any or all of this if she won't be heavily wheeled.
72LSK10,

Thanks, I hope it all turns out well. Wow, sounds like you have quite a setup. Good look with the axle swap. I was really looking for some advice on prepping the frame, but since you asked about the diffs, my plans are to leave them stock. I will be using the truck to pull the boat in and out of the water, and maybe some light off-roading. I had hoped to only replace the seals but both diff's have some slack in the pinion area, so I will have to fix that. I am not sure what they will need, (bearings??) bit I hope to tear them down this weekend.
Old 11-24-2011, 09:55 PM   #12
Crash_OK

Time for an update, yesterday I spent the day building a work table to work off of. I had something similar over 20 years ago when I was a mechanic at the local NAPA. It was great for rebuilding transmission and Transfer Cases.

Today I finished up the work table and started on the rear axle.

Not sure what this was. There was one on each side of the axle. I guess I will cut them off and clean up the axle.

This does not look good.

Something hit here at one time.

I could not found where the loose metal came from. I can only assume something happened to the differential at an earlier time and it was not cleaned up well. It looks like I will need to replace the ring, pinion, and bearings.
Old 11-25-2011, 12:33 PM   #13
72LSK10

Sweet table, I've had the same issue before, where you find shrapnel and can't pin point where it's from. Look at it this way, once you finish the diff's, you'll be confident that they will hold up to what you throw at them.
Old 11-25-2011, 01:05 PM   #14
Crash_OK

Quote:
Sweet table, I've had the same issue before, where you find shrapnel and can't pin point where it's from. Look at it this way, once you finish the diff's, you'll be confident that they will hold up to what you throw at them.
Thanks 72LSK10, I do not have the tools needed to setup the diff. I guess I will need a dial indicator, magnetic base, small torque wrench, press, and various other tools. Any suggestions on what brand of gear set I should use. Keep in mind this will be driven mostly on the street.
Old 11-25-2011, 08:53 PM   #15
72LSK10

I've always ran Yukon gears from Randy's Ring & Pinion, they ship quick and cheap. Prices have always been reasonable and they're made in the US.
Old 11-25-2011, 08:54 PM   #16
Crash_OK

Quote:
I've always ran Yukon gears from Randy's Ring & Pinion, they ship quick and cheap. Prices have always been reasonable and they're made in the US.
Thanks.. I was just looking at their web site...
Old 11-26-2011, 07:42 PM   #17
Crash_OK

Today, I started very early (5:00am), in order to watch some college football. Today’s goal was to remove and tear down the DANA 44 front axle. I finished up around 11:00 (had to make a trip to town for a few tools).

Still very dark outside…

On the table…

This is reusable I believe.

This too…

Looks like I have ran out of things to remove from the frame. This week I will start ordering parts.. Ring and Pinion, seals, bearings, etc. Also, new bushings for the springs. I guess I will order some POR15 to protect everything with.
Old 11-26-2011, 08:21 PM   #18
Dunenutt
Newbee

When you order the gears, just order a master install kit for each axle. The kit will have everything needed for install. X2 on randy's.

On the frame, you can wire wheel it if you have the time. POR = paint over rust.

Good start on the truck!
Dunenutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 08:26 PM   #19
Crash_OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunenutt View Post
When you order the gears, just order a master install kit for each axle. The kit will have everything needed for install. X2 on randy's.

On the frame, you can wire wheel it if you have the time. POR = paint over rust.

Good start on the truck!
Thanks Dunenutt, I have already ordered master kits for both axles (from Randy's), along with a Ring and Pinion for the 12 bolt.

Just to make sure I am clear, you would wire wheel and then paint with POR? Would you also you POR on the axles and springs?
Old 11-27-2011, 10:35 AM   #20
Dunenutt
Newbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash_OK View Post
Thanks Dunenutt, I have already ordered master kits for both axles (from Randy's), along with a Ring and Pinion for the 12 bolt.

Just to make sure I am clear, you would wire wheel and then paint with POR? Would you also you POR on the axles and springs?
Yes, clean them up as good as possible with a wheel, use the prep spray, and paint it as per instructions. Sandblasting is ok, quick but expensive.If you do have them blasted, you can down grade from the white blast. I would do the springs with chassis black ( made by POR) , as the POR15 may crack from bending.
Dunenutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 02:48 PM   #21
Crash_OK

Work completed on Sunday - Cleanup of the transfer case and transmission.

Won’t need this with the new setup, I guess I will put it in the for sale area.

Transmission cleanup…

This too will be for sale, not needed in the new setup…

Ordered parts last night, should have everything here by Thursday I hope…
Old 12-03-2011, 09:56 PM   #22
Crash_OK

Decided to clean the engine up a little, even though I will not be using it on this project.

Picked up a used press for the differential rebuilds. It will also be used on the ball joints, spring bushings, etc.

Picked up some cheap tools from Harbor Freight.

Built up the 12 bolt today

Tomorrow, I will start on the DANA 44 rebuild if I can found some inner axle seals. If not I may get the sand blaster rigged up and clean up the shop. I bought a used Texas Blaster Yesterday.

I have never used one before, so I am open to any ideas on how use it.

Last edited by Crash_OK; 12-03-2011 at 10:06 PM.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:41 PM   #23
J.R.'s 67 C10

Looks good so far man.
Posted via Mobile Device
J.R.'s 67 C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 06:18 PM   #24
Crash_OK

Sunday, I decided to clean up a little in the shop and get the frame ready for sand blasting.

Put the soon to be sold 350 on a engine cradle and moved it out of the way.

Also, moved the TH350 out of the way.

12 Bolt ready for paint.

Dana 44 on the table ready to start the buildup. (next Saturday)

Got the frame mounted up to the engine stands

Cross member had been pulled loose on the passenger side at one time and weld in the wrong place, 4 inches forward. Cut the welds loose and pulled it back in place and re-welded.

Also cut of some jacked up front bumper plates. It took some time, but everything looks better now.

I only get to work on the truck on the weekends. This weekend I hope to get the Dana 44 rebuilt and ready to remount to the frame.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:25 PM   #25
Crash_OK

Installed all new bearings and setup the differential on the DANA 44 today. I created setup bearings for the carrier bearings and a setup race for the inner pinion race. This made the process much easier. Unlike the 12 bolt that I setup last week, the DANA took multiple iterations to get the pinion depth and backlash correct. Unfortunately I did not take time to get pictures of the setup.

After I buttoned the differential up, I started on the ball joints.

Knuckles installed

Left Hub and rotor installed.

I couldn’t do the right hub, there was some damage from some event in the past.

I am considering going with a disc brake setup in the rear. Not sure yet, but will research it some tonight. Tomorrow, if it warms up enough I will do some painting on the axles, if not I will get rigged up for sand blasting.