The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-21-2020, 04:05 PM   #1
WOLFMANmike

headlight switch rewire

ok so many moons ago i thought i found something on here that said how to jump your stock head light switch to make your parking lights work while the headlights are on? but for the life of me i cant find it can you all help me please?
WOLFMANmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 11:35 PM   #2
ray_mcavoy

Re: headlight switch rewire

Start by locating the parking light wire on the headlight switch plug ... it should be a purple wire (right next to the light blue wire that goes to the headlight dimmer switch).

Next, find the empty cavity in the headlight switch connector (should be near the brown wire that powers the tail lights).

With the connector unplugged from the switch, extract the purple parking light feed wire by using a small screwdriver or terminal pick to carefully depress the latching tang on it's terminal. Pull the wire (with the terminal attached) out of the connector. Bend the terminal's latching tang back out a little and snap it into the previously identified empty cavity near the brown wire.

Note, if you have a truck with factory installed cab lights, that wire might already be occupying that otherwise empty terminal on the headlight switch connector.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 01:12 AM   #3
WOLFMANmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_mcavoy View Post
Start by locating the parking light wire on the headlight switch plug ... it should be a purple wire (right next to the light blue wire that goes to the headlight dimmer switch).

Next, find the empty cavity in the headlight switch connector (should be near the brown wire that powers the tail lights).

With the connector unplugged from the switch, extract the purple parking light feed wire by using a small screwdriver or terminal pick to carefully depress the latching tang on it's terminal. Pull the wire (with the terminal attached) out of the connector. Bend the terminal's latching tang back out a little and snap it into the previously identified empty cavity near the brown wire.

Note, if you have a truck with factory installed cab lights, that wire might already be occupying that otherwise empty terminal on the headlight switch connector.
Thank you very much sir
Old 09-22-2020, 08:20 AM   #4
CANUCIT

See attached
Attached Images

2015 z71

1967 SS Chevelle
CANUCIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 10:54 AM   #5
cwcarpenter98

Quote:

If done this way, will the switch still turn on the parking lights when placed in the parking light indent?

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 01:28 PM   #6
nsb29

Name:  C165FE83-4711-478E-9CD2-5D05E06BFD8C.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  53.9 KB

This is a switch that has had it done the purple wire is removed from the right by the blue wire to the empty one that was next to the green most of the switches the blue wire is actually yellow this could possibly have been replaced at one time
Old 09-22-2020, 05:18 PM   #7
WOLFMANmike

All of you guys are so awesome here thank you for all your help i really love how this community bands together and goes out of their way to help others thank you very much guys this place is my home away from home
Old 09-22-2020, 06:10 PM   #8
ray_mcavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 View Post
If done this way, will the switch still turn on the parking lights when placed in the parking light indent?
Yes. This modification connects the parking lights to the tail light circuit (same as the newer GM vehicles). So pulling the knob out to the first notch turns on both the parking & tail lights (same as before). The only difference is the parking lights no longer turn off when the knob is pulled all the way out to the headlight position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsb29 View Post
... the blue wire is actually yellow this could possibly have been replaced at one time
Yes, from what I've seen, GM changed the color code on that wire from light blue over to yellow sometime in the mid 1980's.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 07:58 PM   #9
cwcarpenter98

Quote:
Yes. This modification connects the parking lights to the tail light circuit (same as the newer GM vehicles). So pulling the knob out to the first notch turns on both the parking & tail lights (same as before). The only difference is the parking lights no longer turn off when the knob is pulled all the way out to the headlight position.
Well, I found another thing that I'm going to do when I can get a chance to work on my truck again. Thanks Ray!

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 08:45 PM   #10
rideblue00

subscribed
rideblue00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 09:34 PM   #11
roll_the_dice

I had no idea...what a great thread. Bookmarked for future use.
roll_the_dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 07:50 AM   #12
The Rocknrod

Here is another link - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=614234
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 12:29 PM   #13
AcampoDave

Just tried this and now wish I didn't. The purple wire is rather fragile and the connector broke off when I tried to pull the wire out of the plug.
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 12:50 PM   #14
The Rocknrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcampoDave View Post
Just tried this and now wish I didn't. The purple wire is rather fragile and the connector broke off when I tried to pull the wire out of the plug.
Been a while since it was re-wired?
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 03:21 PM   #15
nsb29

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcampoDave View Post
You can get new connectors but Yeah that’s a bummer